Does anyone else find this whole "brony" (my little pony) thing, weird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailsAlone

Not at all. In fact, I'm a brony. ^^ I discovered the show last fall and I thought I would hate it, but I loved it. My Little Pony has gone a long way in helping me feel better about myself. It helped me stay sane and hopeful throughout my terrible job last year.

There's nothing really different or weird about bronies, we're just teenage or grown men who like My Little Pony. Naturally every fan community has its bad apples, but on the whole we are nice people who like to share our enjoyment of the show.

img-1080746-2-UfTI2.png

paperie

I don't get why it's less acceptable for men to like things that are labeled as "girly". I've only seen a couple episodes so can't really judge much of the show, but there obviously must be something appealing about it since it has a huge fan base.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I don't get why it's less acceptable for men to like things that are labeled as "girly". I've only seen a couple episodes so can't really judge much of the show, but there obviously must be something appealing about it since it has a huge fan base.

We are trying to explain the OP (Puma gave the bestest explanation ever), but she refuses to listen :idontknow:

GhastlyCC

I have a hard time figuring out why the show is as popular as it is.
Let alone why grown men would be so in to it.heh

I don't judge them over it though.
I like stuff that alot of people(Even Bronies possibly. ;)) would think is stupid or inappropriate for somebody of my age.

I have to admit though,
The "bad seeds" as you guys are referring to them..stick out more to me.
Most Every fandom has it's creeps.
But few of them come close to the creepiness of bronies.
Like taking the stuffed toy on a date?
C'mon son

Starry

I have to see an episode of this and see what on earth all the fuss is about... From clips it looks awful, but I think the majority of modern programmes are awful and you can't really judge by clips, so that means nothing...

However, I find nothing wrong with adults - male or female - watching cartoons. My husband and I bought DVD sets of some of the cartoons we watched when we were younger (90's versions of X-Men, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man etc. and watched episodes of other things on YouTube, including Arthur lol... I love Arthur hehe). My husband's uncle, who is usually into Zombie films, also bought DVD sets of children's programmes from when he was younger.

I think most people, if they felt free to admit it, would actually like to watch cartoons... But we're brainwashed as a society, into thinking that cartoons are for children, unless they're specifically aimed at adults... When in reality, there are plenty of cartoons which have far better character and plot development than many programmes aimed at adults... To the point where many people who do watch cartoons end up thinking of themselves almost as rebels... I don't, because well, it's hardly rebellious to watch a cartoon - but some people obviously do... I'm sure part of the "Brony" thing is about rebellion in the minds of some of the men...

However, I think anyone getting so obsessed with anything that they go and collect items obsessively and get dragged into the culture surrounding whatever they're obsessed with is a little weird... If it makes you happy, then that's great - don't stop, there's nothing wrong with that... but realise that people will find it weird... Which, in itself isn't a problem at all - it's only a problem if people react negatively to perceived weirdness.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
You're not serious... :eek:mg:

I'm curious, did you watch the clip that was posted? I personally haven't watched any of the show more than that clip (and don't really intend on watching more) but can certainly relate to a shy character who has a difficult time speaking loudly, as I imagine many people on this site also can. I mean the character is technically a pony, but it's obviously given human like qualities, like the ability to speak and have a communicable personality. I mean you can relate to anything, if you're feeling lazy on a hot summer's day, and you have a dog who lays around lazily on hot summer days, it would be fitting to say you could relate to how he feels.

People aren't saying "I can relate to a cartoon pony!" they are saying they can relate to feelings and thoughts in certain situations, that happen to be shared by a cartoon pony (that was created by adult humans). I'm sure the character to at least some degree is based on a real person, or qualities known to the character creator.

thegunners21

I saw an episode as well and quite frankly, I don't see what all the fuss is about. It was extremely cheesy and made me cringe.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
^ Guys... Actual bronies are not like that. Don't let those articles fool you. the media focuses on those because it gives them something to talk about and they usually stand out more.

The actual fans merely enjoy the show, create art and maybe collect some merch. That's all. We don't go crazy over it :)

Hellhound

Super Moderator

Lord... The Twilight rabid fans. I think they're probably the most rabid.

In my opinion, those aren't real fans. But hey, as long as they don't go to the extreme of hurting someone over it, they can do what they want.

I have a feeling that the sane fans feel ashamed that these girls give the fanbase a bad image, but I can't be sure unless I come across a sane Twilight fan.

Lamb

I wasn't aware there was My Little Pony erotic art. That's a bit odd, but not surprising or uncommon. Not extremely familiar with the show, and on the two occasions I've watched, found it enjoyable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.