Does anyone else find this whole "brony" (my little pony) thing, weird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
It has small bits thrown in to keep the parent somewhat entertained while they watch it with their kids, I'm sure the creators never meant for it to be watched by the parents when the kids weren't there.

The creator herself said the show is for everyone, not just kids, and certainly not just girls.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
What I wonder is: is for you also creepy that certain grown women like that show? No? Then you are sexist. :)

Well, that's hardly a enough evidence to make a leap to a claim of sexism. Sexism would be being prejudice or discriminating against someone for their Gender, not simply treating them differently. If it's weird for men and not women to like to like my little pony because men are somehow better than women (or some may argue the other way around) then that would be sexism. If it's because My Little Pony just appears to have a more traditionally associated with females in our culture, like ponies and the color pink then it's not sexism, assuming that their is no perceived inferiority in liking the color pink or ponies. Obviously it'd be stereotyping and generalizing, and a basic belief in a need to adhere to general gender norms but hardly sexism. Lot's of people believe there is a difference between men and women, and not that one gender is better than the other, which would be sexist, but simply they are different. Like it would be weird for a male to use tampons, or a women to wear a jockstrap. Some just extend the obviously physical differences to a cognitive and/or emotional level. It doesn't become sexist until those differences make one better than the other and deserving of special treatment, or lesser treatment of the other.

Last edited:
Well, that's hardly a enough evidence to make a leap to a claim of sexism. Sexism would be being prejudice or discriminating against someone for their race, not simply treating them differently. If it's weird for men and not women to like to like my little pony because men are somehow better than women (or some may argue the other way around) then that would be sexism. If it's because My Little Pony just appears to have a more traditionally associated with females in our culture, like ponies and the color pink then it's not sexism, assuming that their is no perceived inferiority in liking the color pink or ponies. Obviously it'd be stereotyping and generalizing, and a basic belief in a need to adhere to general gender norms but hardly sexism. Lot's of people believe there is a difference between men and women, and not that one gender is better than the other, which would be sexist, but simply they are different. Like it would be weird for a male to use tampons, or a women to wear a jockstrap. Some just extend the obviously physical differences to a cognitive and/or emotional level. It doesn't become sexist until those differences make one better than the other and deserving of special treatment, or lesser treatment of the other.

You said sexism would be discriminating against someone for their race :p

The dictionary definition does say that sexism includes "stereotyping" someone based on their gender, and I think that the whole "boys can't like pink and ponies and glittery stuff" falls under stereotyping based on gender. But like you said, I don't think it's necessarily malicious, it's just that some people notice the real differences between the genders and think it extends to more than just the physical/outside appearance (and it does, hormones are different, cognition is different, etc.).

Last edited:

Flanscho

Well, that's hardly a enough evidence to make a leap to a claim of sexism. Sexism would be being prejudice or discriminating against someone for their race

Race got nothing to do with it.

not simply treating them differently.
You call them creepy for enjoying a show, for the sole reason of them being men. That's discrimination, based on their sex, which means you're sexist.

If it's because My Little Pony just appears to have a more traditionally associated with females in our culture, like ponies and the color pink then it's not sexism, assuming that their is no perceived inferiority in liking the color pink or ponies.
A century ago, pink was associated with boys, and blue with girls. The question is how easily you let the media brainwash you.

Obviously it'd be stereotyping and generalizing, and a basic belief in a need to adhere to general gender norms but hardly sexism.
What, in your opinion, does our society gain, by denying men the right to like that show?

You think it's creepy because some men are confident enough to admit enjoying something that is, according to outdated stereotypes and ancient gender roles, associated with women. Men doing or enjoying something associated with women is, in the eyes of certain very conservative people, humiliating for them.
For example: wearing womens clothes is supposed to be humiliating for men. Wearing mens clothes is not supposed to be humiliating for women. Why? Because, according to people who think this way, men are standing a level above women. So doing something associated with women would bring them down to some sort of lower level, thus humiliating them.

I don't like prejudices, stereotypes and roles people are forced into. All this results simply in restricting peoples individuality, and in this case, in widening the gap between men and women.

Solitudes_Grace

Well, that's hardly a enough evidence to make a leap to a claim of sexism. Sexism would be being prejudice or discriminating against someone for their race, not simply treating them differently. If it's weird for men and not women to like to like my little pony because men are somehow better than women (or some may argue the other way around) then that would be sexism. If it's because My Little Pony just appears to have a more traditionally associated with females in our culture, like ponies and the color pink then it's not sexism, assuming that their is no perceived inferiority in liking the color pink or ponies. Obviously it'd be stereotyping and generalizing, and a basic belief in a need to adhere to general gender norms but hardly sexism. Lot's of people believe there is a difference between men and women, and not that one gender is better than the other, which would be sexist, but simply they are different. Like it would be weird for a male to use tampons, or a women to wear a jockstrap. Some just extend the obviously physical differences to a cognitive and/or emotional level. It doesn't become sexist until those differences make one better than the other and deserving of special treatment, or lesser treatment of the other.

I think that the idea that it is okay for women to watch the show but not for men is based in a sexist way of thinking. The implication is that men shouldn't like things that are usually perceived as "feminine" because femininity is often perceived as inferior to masculinity. Women who like more "masculine" shows like Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, or Game of Thrones aren't usually criticized as much as men who like more "feminine" shows, such as My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. In this case, I actually do think that many people do perceive an inferiority in liking ponies or the color pink simply because of their culturally associated femininity. Even beyond media preferences, women who are perceived as rather masculine in real life aren't usually criticized as much as men who appear rather feminine. I'm not saying that women who appear androgynous or tomboyish or masculine don't face any discrimination and I'm not trying to marginalize their experiences; I'm just saying that they probably won't face the same amount and severity of discrimination that a man would if he appeared rather "feminine," such as he would when wearing makeup, having long hair, or wearing a dress. Once again, I think that these different expectations and double standards in regard to gender are based on the subtle, yet sexist cultural implication that femininity is inferior to masculinity. I hope what I'm saying makes sense.

Solitudes_Grace

Men doing or enjoying something associated with women is, in the eyes of certain very conservative people, humiliating for them.
For example: wearing womens clothes is supposed to be humiliating for men. Wearing mens clothes is not supposed to be humiliating for women. Why? Because, according to people who think this way, men are standing a level above women. So doing something associated with women would bring them down to some sort of lower level, thus humiliating them.

I don't like prejudices, stereotypes and roles people are forced into. All this results simply in restricting peoples individuality, and in this case, in widening the gap between men and women.

Agreed. Well said.

xDreamseller

I think that the idea that it is okay for women to watch the show but not for men is based in a sexist way of thinking. The implication is that men shouldn't like things that are usually perceived as "feminine" because femininity is often perceived as inferior to masculinity. Women who like more "masculine" shows like Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, or Game of Thrones aren't usually criticized as much as men who like more "feminine" shows, such as My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. In this case, I actually do think that many people do perceive an inferiority in liking ponies or the color pink simply because of their culturally associated femininity. Even beyond media preferences, women who are perceived as rather masculine in real life aren't usually criticized as much as men who appear rather feminine. I'm not saying that women who appear androgynous or tomboyish or masculine don't face any discrimination and I'm not trying to marginalize their experiences; I'm just saying that they probably won't face the same amount and severity of discrimination that a man would if he appeared rather "feminine," such as he would when wearing makeup, having long hair, or wearing a dress. Once again, I think that these different expectations and double standards in regard to gender are based on the subtle, yet sexist cultural implication that femininity is inferior to masculinity. I hope what I'm saying makes sense.

Off topic: Solitudes_Grace, are you a writer? That was one of the best pieces of writing I've ever read.

Last edited:

BamanPiderman

What Solitudes_Grace has said is exactly right. :perfect:

I haven't watched MLP other than a fanimation which I didn't enjoy or hate, so I don't really understand the appeal. But I don't think it's odd for teens or adults to enjoy cartoons. Recently one of my friends got me into Adventure Time and as you can probably tell by my name/avatar, I also enjoy watching cartoon webseries. There's something really special about them.

rosewood

i dont think men are allowed to express enough of their emotions or on a sufficient spectrum in american culture. maybe they dont want to. i just remember how horrible it was to watch my twin brother being subjected to different and seemingly mean treatment that i dont think he needed or deserved while we grew up about being a guy.

so if guys want to watch a show about ponies and it makes them happy, well, ok.

my gut reaction to the whole thing initially is 'eek, run away'. it makes me think of people i came into contact with who werent interested in the cartoons but what they could exploit them for. so i get a tad panicky...sorry

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Race got nothing to do with it.

Yes, that was obviously a typo. Proofreading does wonders ::p: :kickingmyself:

You call them creepy for enjoying a show, for the sole reason of them being men. That's discrimination, based on their sex, which means you're sexist.

A century ago, pink was associated with boys, and blue with girls. The question is how easily you let the media brainwash you.

What, in your opinion, does our society gain, by denying men the right to like that show?

You think it's creepy because some men are confident enough to admit enjoying something that is, according to outdated stereotypes and ancient gender roles, associated with women. Men doing or enjoying something associated with women is, in the eyes of certain very conservative people, humiliating for them.

I did not call them creepy, I don't think there's anything wrong with adult males watching my little pony, and in my opinion people can do whatever they wish regardless of age or gender as long as it's not hurting anybody, and shouldn't be treated or perceived any differently because of it. I was addressing your claim about the OP being a sexist for having this opinion.

My only real point is it's not sexist to simply believe there is a difference between male and females on more than a purely anatomical level, depending on the definition you go on as Opaline pointed out stereotyping is included in some definitions. I am like you and prefer to keep the gap small, and recognize all walks of life and not put people in boxes based on social norms and gender roles. Just because other people do though doesn't make them a sexist.

While it' may not be fair to discriminate against brony's for what they like, it's also not fair to discriminate against those who find it creepy. If someone sees a older man sitting in a park regularly watching kids play on a playground, some may find that creepy, and no one would think twice for them thinking that. But he may just miss his childhood, and being there reminds him of that, which there's nothing wrong with. No intentions of hurting anybody or dirty/creepy thoughts, he would still without question "creep out" a lot of people. With the number of pedophiles around, it's not unjustified to be creeped out even if there is nothing to worry about.

I don't know if that example really gets my point across or not, a differing viewpoint doesn't immediately make someone the worst is what I mean.

Solitudes_Grace: Yes it makes sense definitely, that is something I was sort of thinking about too, how a sexist mindset can just be inferred, and that a sexist way of thinking is required to come to such an opinion. I agree with mostly what you said, I'm just not sure if the train of thinking is in this case that "it's wrong for men to watch this show but not for women," and if is if necessarily the mindset is that femininity is something lesser than masculinity, either consciously or subconsciously. Good points.

:lol: bahahaha this is hilarious! 10 pages of debate about my little pony????! Have we run out of controversial threads?! Bring back all the banned members quick.

I'm a Brony actually (and not offended by this thread, so don't worry. ;3 ). It's seems odd to outside spectators I imagine, but in essence really no different to any other fandom surrounding a show, game or story.

I think the problem is that when people hear ''My Little Pony'' they imagine the cutsey and overbearingly-obnoxiously cheerful shows from the 80's and 90's. Which I agree is unwatchable (for me, at least). Bronies, most of them anyway, only have an affinity towards the newest instalment.

Which is a proper cartoon for one (proper humour, interesting character development and is actually story driven), and has a lot of subtle qualities and arts to admire that kids would simply not notice.

It's not just adult men either, there's quite a few adult women that watch it on a regular bases. It was specifically designed to be enjoyed by kids as well as their parents. Which explains its universal appeal.

This post in the first page explained pretty well why a grown man can enjoy the show, and that tendency of including hinted adult subjects between a show that at first glance may look childish it's has spread a lot in the last decade. I myself don't watch the particular show or are a fan of it, but don't see anything weird on guys doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.