Do you think you can fall in love with someone online?

Do you think you can fall in love with someone online?

• Yes- I already have

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 22 18.2%
  • Maybe/depends

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • Don't know

Votes: 7 5.8%

• Total voters

mrb

i feel you can get to love someones personality online , but you never really know them unless you spend a lot of time with them in real life .....

Iseesky

I said yes...I feel like it's impossible to know a person just by speaking to them online. However, your mind fills in the blanks of what you don't know and you start to make up an ideal version of that person. I think that's why when people meet in real life, they're disappointed or surprised. They fall in love with the ideal guy or girl they've made up in their head.

The way someone acts and "speaks" online is sometimes completely different than the way they are in person. I, for example, tend to be pretty mature and confident online, whereas in person I'm dependant and childish.

I think for a relationship to form online, you'd have to have two very honest people who aren't going to say things to make themselves appear in a different light.

Pink_Paula

Re: Do you think..

I believe its possible to fall in love with someone online... if you're open to it.
But I also believe its possible to fall out of love with the person when ye meet in real life.

I totally agree, the person you meet online might not be the person you meet IRL i mean some people put on a front online and they're nothing like that when you meet!

I think it is possible to fall in love online though, if you speak to the person everyday for hours on end and if you chat on webcam as well it makes them real so yeah you can fall in love online

Illusions

I know a couple who spent 6 months getting to know each other (while both were in different continents), fell in love, and got married. It's possible, I say.

Lorraine Manca

maybe you can, but its a ****ing terrible idea, dont do it! people have too few inhibitions online cause they cant see you or know your real, and say stuff they dont really mean. i think like people have already said on this thread, people arent what they seem

ewl, this needs to be clarifyied, we're all very sensitive people on here, and there's a crapload of bored and evil people on the internet plus a few psychos. wasnt bundy supposed to be a charming guy? maybe im just paranoid!

Last edited:

nopark

I think it's possible -- love is just a feeling. But I think the person you fall in love with online is different than who they are in real life. Two sides of the same coin.

It could work when you meet face to face. But the person you can physically touch in front of you is more than an avatar on screen. There are an infinite number of little things you just can't notice online.

So there's always a chance that the person you can touch isn't the same person you fell in love with. You might love them more because they are more. But maybe all of those little idiosyncrasies coalesce into something you don't quite like after all.

Silvox Black

I say yes. I have seen true, genuine love occur across the internet and then culminate in reality. One of my close friends actually succeeded in this endeavor. True, there are elements of an online relationship that cannot replace actual physical contact, but the point of an online relationship is to work towards being able to meet and live together in reality. Distance and social/family issues may present problems, some of which may be overcome, others however may not be. It takes a massive amount of luck for this to occur, but the possibility of this success is far higher than what most people make it out to be. This is of course, merely my belief based on personal experience.

206Raider

maybe you can, but its a ****ing terrible idea, dont do it! people have too few inhibitions online cause they cant see you or know your real, and say stuff they dont really mean. i think like people have already said on this thread, people arent what they seem

ewl, this needs to be clarifyied, we're all very sensitive people on here, and there's a crapload of bored and evil people on the internet plus a few psychos. wasnt bundy supposed to be a charming guy? maybe im just paranoid!

I'm not saying you can fall in love but you can definitly show your true self online. I've talked to someone for awhile and I don't lie about anything and neither does she but we aren't dating so I don't know if that counts but, you can be yourself. I understand in RL you may have anxiety but if you talk to somebody long enough and your true to yourselves then you know what that person thinks on the inside if that makes any sense.

Emily_G

I couldn't decide if I should vote "Yes already have" or just "Yes". I decided to vote "Yes". I met my husband online, we spent the majority of the first year of our relationship apart....but I don't know if I would have fallen in love with him online because I fell in love with him in person.