Do you struggle with identity?

• YES - I feel open-minded and easily persuaded

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • SOMETIMES - I know who I am but sometimes feel impressionable

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • NO - I stand firm in my beliefs and nothing will sway me

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters
:thinking: Any time I struggle with my identity, I look at my driver's license. It usually wins that struggle.

squidgee

I suppose so.

5 years ago I was different from how I was today, and 5 years before that, I'm sure I was different from that time as well. 10 years from now, I have absolutely no idea what sort of person I will be. In my mind, I keep imagining 'ideal' versions of myself when I'm a full-fledged adult, but then realise how unreasonable they might be. I'm simply very uncertain about myself and what sort of person I want to be.

jaim38

Yes, throughout my life I always feel pressure to fit in with the people around me. If the people around me have certain traits that I don't have, I secretly yearn to be like them. I find myself sometimes imitating them unconsciously, such as adopting their manners of speech. Up until recently, I always feel bad for sticking out like a sore thumb, not being able to blend in. I would rather be one of them than unique because it erases my invisibility.

Now that I'm older and have acquired more wisdom over the years, I realize my old line of thinking was totally wrong. I am learning to accept and love myself for who I am.

worrywort

I think I have a fairly strong sense of identity, although I'm not entirely sure what it means to know who you are? I know what I like, the types of films I enjoy, the types of music I prefer, kinda grungy, hipstery, alternative stuff, I know the type of person I am, INTJ, non-conformist, bit of a dreamer, I know my limitations, my good points and bad points, I know what I believe and I know a little about the culture I'm a part of and my ancestry.

But saying that, there's still a lot that I don't fully understand about myself. My social problems, and my issues that go with it, are still a bit of a mystery to me. My tastes in music and film can still surprise me sometimes. I also feel like I could quite easily choose to be someone else if I really wanted to. Some identities suit the mould that my DNA, environment and upbringing has naturally shaped me into, but with a little effort I feel like my mould can be reshaped if I really wanted to do so.

dragons

Hmm, interesting question. I think I have a lot of traits and beliefs that have more or less always been the same, and probably always will be. But I also think I'm pretty flexible about some of my beliefs, and there are some things I am unsure about and/or constantly change my mind about. I don't think it's that I'm swayed by others' opinions necessarily––just that I try to be open-minded and see things from multiple points of view (even if I don't agree with all those points of view).

xSleepy

No, not really. I think I know myself pretty well. I think this was more of an issue for me when I was a teen.

FeloniousBum

That's a good thing it's called 'ego death' it means your not as identified with who society tells you you are and you're awakening to your true self

dottie

That's a good thing it's called 'ego death' it means your not as identified with who society tells you you are and you're awakening to your true self

You believe this is possible on an authentic level? It sounds ideal but I don't believe it is humanly possible to fully detach oneself from their enculturation (even if in this case "enculturation" is technically a lack of culture in the traditional sense). But I do believe we have fleeting moments of authenticity/ego death.

LazyHermitCrab

Hmm I don't think im easily swayed but my interests change depending on the day. if someone says tell me about yourself im just like err idk... :p

Lavinialuna

I know who I am but I struggle with it. I realize I'm unusual. I don't want to be unusual, I want to be normal. I feel too much, I think too much. I'm too deep. I seek too many answers. I'm not worldly. I fear regular people. I feel like I'm walking in a cloud half the time.
It's like I've come to realize how fleeting life is and have given up on making this place (the earth) my home and instead think of it as a "camp." So many worldly things just don't matter to me anymore. It's quite depressing actually, and I desperately want to be a normal person again. To find joy in regular human experiences.
I have strong core values and hold myself and others to those high standards. I am loyal and trustworthy and I expect the same from friends. I can hold grudges for awhile, but maybe it's just that I take so long to process things mentally and emotionally.
I struggle with politics because it causes me so much anxiety. I can get riled up when people don't share my point of view.
I don't think I am easily swayed by other view points. I am always seeking others who are like minded, but when you are strange, it's hard.

"People are strange when you're a stranger, faces look ugly when you're alone" J.M.

Supernova

Some of my problems are I don't feel I've developed an identity or personality, don't feel I connect with anything.