Do you like math?

Additive Universe

math.jpg

nopark

I really like math though I'm not very good at it anymore. I screwed myself over in highschool when I stopped applying myself and I eventually dropped out of my advanced mathematics courses. And now I've not had to do any of it for so long, it seems lost.

But there are some college courses I may one day be interested in so I've been trying to reignite my previously known aptitude for the subject. I've got books strewn precariously around my apartment but I haven't had much time to invest into them yet.

lonely_drummer

Can I answer anyway? Yes, in fact I love math. I do algebra when I am stressed out cuz it relaxes me. I minored in math in college ^^ My favorite is Calc. And I am obsessed with the history of math... from the Ancient Egyptians to Pythagoras and the knights Templar and Euclid and Galileo and all the great thinkers like that. Math is fantastic.

I'm completely obsessed with the history of Physics, which also deals with some math. One of my favorite math books is Mystery of the Primes. Plus math rules! Was always a natural at it

davidburke

for those of you who like maths and find easy/not too difficult i have a question. I love doing maths but it does not come easy to me i have to try really hard. Whats the best way to improve at it you will prob say just do lots of maths which is so true but it takes me so much longer to figure it out and i just want to know how i could be better at working out stuff. any methods that help? thanks

nopark

Math, when I get it, just clicks with me. It's a little hard to explain. In my mind I just sorta see how things fit together -- not exactly like a visualization technique because that implies some conscious inner imagery. But it's sortof like that.

I'm a software engineer and I see the same sorts of things with code. When I'm added to a project with two hundred thousand lines of code, I can just see it in my mind, how everything fits together. It's not about memorizing functions, it's about how each part interacts.

So when I do math, it's not really like remembering something I was taught, it's just that I know why something has to be the way it is... Like if I'm learning history, I'm remembering facts. But with math, I'm seeing why.

lonely_drummer

for those of you who like maths and find easy/not too difficult i have a question. I love doing maths but it does not come easy to me i have to try really hard. Whats the best way to improve at it you will prob say just do lots of maths which is so true but it takes me so much longer to figure it out and i just want to know how i could be better at working out stuff. any methods that help? thanks

For me, its all a matter of who I learn it from. I find the best way to really get a knack of the stuff is to know the shortcuts or have someone show you the nice quick hints to help you along the way, there's always something that can be simplified in math. Like I said, it really depends on the teacher. This term, I have a horrible prof and cannot learn from him, so I study on my own and meet up with a tutor to learn some simplified expressions and hints to help. For me, I'm always strained for time on tests. Once a question starts to baffle me, it can effect the entire test and then I start to panic and I freeze. So I make sure I know the ins and outs of each question and the shortcuts that help me sweep through the easier questions so I can stress later on about the crap I don't know, haha

Qbmaster

If you want math to be easy you need to understand it. You need to have a really good understanding of the basic concepts. I've helped some people who had a hard time with math, and one thing that they all had in common was that they had a very fuzzy understanding of simple things like negative numbers, fractions and even the concept of equality. What does it really mean when you say "something = something else"? Math is about understanding, not about learning a set of rules. Whenever you learn something in math, try to look at it from different angles until you really understand why it makes sense. Just solving math problems will make you better at solving problems, but it doesn't guarantee that you will improve your understanding.

davidburke

If you want math to be easy you need to understand it. You need to have a really good understanding of the basic concepts. I've helped some people who had a hard time with math, and one thing that they all had in common was that they had a very fuzzy understanding of simple things like negative numbers, fractions and even the concept of equality. What does it really mean when you say "something = something else"? Math is about understanding, not about learning a set of rules. Whenever you learn something in math, try to look at it from different angles until you really understand why it makes sense. Just solving math problems will make you better at solving problems, but it doesn't guarantee that you will improve your understanding.

that is the best feeling when you finally understand something you have being working out, It absolutely is the best once i understand i will be able to do the same type of problem over and over again

Anomaly

I hardly pay attention to lectures. When I get around to doing homework, I jump right into the problems. At first, I get some wrong answers and I'm forced to go back and figure out what went wrong. It's through this method that I learn what exactly is going on now that I've managed to fix a wrong problem and continue along with a better understanding. I get annoyed when textbooks explain examples first with basic steps and then get around to doing the actual problem itself.

The other thing to remember is to try and not stress out when approaching and doing problems. I noticed this especially in writing classes when timed essays are passed out -- people took it seriously and I really didn't. I was able to work fairly comfortably, without emotions getting in my way.

hangbi92

I really like Math, its my best subject. I also like other natural sciences like Physics and Chem
I think Math is suitable with people with SP like us

hippiechild

I HATE mathhhh.

actually, I sometimes enjoy it as a kind of puzzle, like brain teasers... but yeah, generally I hate it

mathematics was never a great strength of mine but I do have a deep appreciation for it.

I'm in awe at the fact that scientist like Newton and Einstein could describe like laws of physics and relativity through simple equations (Even though I hardly understand any of them lol).

Appreciate? Yes

Like? ....not so much.

I hate math! prolly cuZ all ,y teachers sucked, and I now have a test on Monday :/ math requires concentration and practising. which i do not have :/

U

userremoved

Math is the bane of my existence. I don't think I even like numbers anymore.