Do you like math?

Noca

Banned
Math is okay. I dont like it, but i find it somewhat easy as long as I'm not doing application type math.

Devrium

Math is okay. I dont like it, but i find it somewhat easy as long as I'm not doing application type math.

lol application math is like my favorite type of math but only as long as it's related to like science problems. I hate doing like.. amortization schedules and story problems about trains or whatever. Those drive me crazy... but if it's like applied to dosage calculations in the pharmacy (which are basically real life story problems) or measuring out chemicals in the lab (or these days in my kitchen which has become my new science lair) then that stuff I could do all day ^^ But yea I totally agree with and understand your aversion to other applied math. It's too complicated and usually completely irrelevant xD

diesel

i hate maths with a passion . i was in honours maths and all but i always hated it even when in primary school .

Qbmaster

<bragging> 7th place in the Swedish National Math Competition in high school </bragging>
I love math! Math can be used to describe almost anything and is a useful tool for solving all kinds of problems. I'm especially attracted to the problem solving aspect of math. If I find a problem that I think is really interesting I won't give up until I have solved it, even if it takes months. Idon't really like doing long calculations by hand, which is why applied math is not really my thing. My interest in math is inversely proportonal to its usefulness.

Devrium

<bragging> 7th place in the Swedish National Math Competition in high school </bragging>
I love math! Math can be used to describe almost anything and is a useful tool for solving all kinds of problems. I'm especially attracted to the problem solving aspect of math. If I find a problem that I think is really interesting I won't give up until I have solved it, even if it takes months. Idon't really like doing long calculations by hand, which is why applied math is not really my thing. My interest in math is inversely proportonal to its usefulness.

Swedish competition!!!! Jag kan prata svenska! Jag älskar Sverige! =D I want to do a Swedish math contest =/ Swedish is my current obsession as far as foreign languages go xD

for me it's a love / hate relationship. it's very simple. I love it when I get it; hate it with a passion when I don't get it.

I guess the great thing about math that makes it different from other subjects is that almost everything math can sort of be explained in a satisfying way. Apparently not everything though. Sometimes math can contradict with itself. (I just know this fact but I actually don't have any examples.. anybody else know?)

Qbmaster

for me it's a love / hate relationship. it's very simple. I love it when I get it; hate it with a passion when I don't get it.

I guess the great thing about math that makes it different from other subjects is that almost everything math can sort of be explained in a satisfying way. Apparently not everything though. Sometimes math can contradict with itself. (I just know this fact but I actually don't have any examples.. anybody else know?)

Math can never contradict itself. Be careful with spreading false information! Gödel's incompleteness theorem implies that there will always be some things that we can not prove mathematically, but this doesn't mean that math contradicts iself.

Devrium

Math can never contradict itself. Be careful with spreading false information! Gödel's incompleteness theorem implies that there will always be some things that we can not prove mathematically, but this doesn't mean that math contradicts iself.

I vaguely remember studying something about imaginary numbers where there seemed to be some sort of contradiction but in the end it could be explained by using some theory and equation or something. I don't know if that's what you're talking about. I also recall something when learning about Euclid's 5 elements where in if one were to fail (or was it if we don't have the 5th?) than everything we know about math is false? Really tho don't take my word for it.. I have no idea what I am talking about lol

and Edit: sorry that was actually supposed to be a reply to Scrabbl but yea it works xD

Last edited:

Qbmaster

I also recall something when learning about Euclid's 5 elements where in if one were to fail (or was it if we don't have the 5th?) than everything we know about math is false? Really tho don't take my word for it.. I have no idea what I am talking about lol

You are talking about the Parallel postulate, the fifth axiom from Euclid's Elements (there are a lot more than 5 of them!). The thing with the Parallel postulate is that it is perfectly possible to imagine a world where it is not true. This does not lead to any mathematical contradictions, but in such a world the study of geometry becomes much harder. That's the reason why non-Euclidean geometry is usually not taught except in advanced math courses. Just because something is really strange and not consistent with how we view the world, it doesn't mean that it isn't mathematically correct.

Parallel postulate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Non-Euclidean geometry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LadyWench

LMAO well far from perfect... but I have been doing Chemistry since I was in kindergarten... like well not at a college level, but in a college setting. My mom used to take me to the lab while she was in school and the Dean took a real liking to me, so I would spend like 90% of my time in the lab and they would give me projects to do and problems to solve. It was my life for so long... Like I said in that other post... I was making sodium acetate at age 5.. so that I was just sort of lucky to be born in to in a way. Which is why I can do it so well now.

The other stuff.. I just sort of taught myself. I had a really shakey school life. I was pretty much normal grades k-3 but after 3rd my mom got sick and life went to hell and I just stopped going to school pretty much altogether because she completely disappeared from my life and I was raising myself from that point on. Well I went to school like.. 2 days a week lol if that. But the kids were terrible.. and the teachers. Otherwise I would just hide in my room or climb a tree and read my mom's old college text books. 3rd grade is when the SA really started to kick in. Then in 6th grade they transferred me to a private boarding school cuz mom couldn't take care of me, but a year later she got evicted from her apartment and I got kicked out of school... we lived on the streets til I was 15.. (well not totally accurate, we lived with a doctor and his family for a while and that's where I picked up my knowledge of organic chem) so I had no school 7th and 8th grade... and then in 9th I started a home school program (through the public school. I had a teacher I met with one hour a week) but I got cancer shortly after so I didn't really do anything til 10th grade (still home school) and that's when I said fck the normal stuff and started really really concentrating on science. The program I was in let me choose all my classes so I took advanced Chem, genetics, virology, geology you name it... barely graduated high school cuz I was lacking so many credits in required subjects. I can't do English or Geography or History to save my life... that's why in college I had to start from scratch with math... because I never really learned it in grade school. Whew long post xD Anyway yea... didn't mean to tell you the story of my life there... but experiences aside, I think I was just born a left brained person. I pick up foreign language too... like in an instant. I taught myself to speak Swedish almost fluently in like 4 months... er but again.. I am kind of a freak in that way. And well, we all have our strengths and weaknesses. I am sure you have plenty of things you are good at that would make me uber jealous ^^

You picked up a lot of incredibly difficult things at a very young age. THAT in itself is impressive. It's almost unbelievable! So, yeah, I'm jealous. Lol. But I also think everything you had to go through of course makes you a stronger person. It sounds like you've got tons of things to be proud of. I, on the other hand...don't. Haha. I'm honestly not good at anything. I can spell decently, and I know plenty of English/language skills. But where is that going to get me? I'm not talented in any way. Not in the slightest. It's rather disheartening. Oh well!

But yeah, thanks for sharing all of that with me. :) Once again, I'm going to molest your brain and take it from you. Hahaha.

Hey! so I made a mistake lol. I'm not trying to spread false information here. I don't really remember where I got the contradiction bit from, I think a friend who studies math told me. I'm not a mathematician myself.

So what you're saying is that math is not complete but it's fully consistent. i see.

Devrium

You picked up a lot of incredibly difficult things at a very young age. THAT in itself is impressive. It's almost unbelievable! So, yeah, I'm jealous. Lol. But I also think everything you had to go through of course makes you a stronger person. It sounds like you've got tons of things to be proud of. I, on the other hand...don't. Haha. I'm honestly not good at anything. I can spell decently, and I know plenty of English/language skills. But where is that going to get me? I'm not talented in any way. Not in the slightest. It's rather disheartening. Oh well!

But yeah, thanks for sharing all of that with me. :) Once again, I'm going to molest your brain and take it from you. Hahaha.

Lmao. That's hawt xD Molest away lol

Well for all the academic skills I have I am completely lacking in all other ares of my life... like people skills, relationship skills, social skills, street smarts, emotional maturity you name it xD I pretty much fail at everything except science (and sometimes math) but even then I am sure I'm not as great as I sound... Obviously not, seeing as my mother, following my example (of being a mad scientist), put a glue stick in the microwave this morning and blew it up... I told her hot water...like candle wax...but no. Things liquefy from the inside out otherwise *sigh* I think I need to be setting a better example. The kitchen is my make shift lab. As much as mom yells and screams and throws things at me.. bless her for putting up with my insane experimental ways...

Devrium

LOL! what was with the glue stick?!

lol... to be honest I really don't know. I swear she is retarded. I think she was trying to soften it because she saw me put a bar of soap in the microwave once to soften it for an experiment I was doing... But soap is NOT a glue stick -_- and her damn glue stick was already soft and I told her put it in hot water like you would to soften candle wax or something (to get it unstuck from a candle holder.. same principle really) and next thing I hear is BOOM! "OH SH!T" and then it was like *face palm* and "I thought it would work, why didn't you tell me?!?!" As if I was the one blowing up the kitchen... honestly. I have only done that 3 times in my life (blew up the kitchen) and it was in my own home...

I'm too intimidated to read all seven pages of this topic, haha, so I'll just answer the original question--I'm AWFUL at math. Absolutely awful. I can't even do my times tables without counting on my fingers! Last weekend my stepdaughter asked me to do math problems with her for practice, and I gave her the problem 14+8, and she actually got it right while I got it wrong (she's seven) hahaha!