Do you like math?

philly2bits

That makes so much sense! Why the hell did none of my damn teachers ever give me this advice? Not one from the first grade all the way up to the twelveth grade has ever suggested any of this.

I think it's much easier to teach how to solve the problems then to teach a fundamental understanding of math. Some people (me for example) simply can not "see" math beyond the simple numbers.

Newtype

I've recently started doing math again after not doing any for six years. I really hated it and I wasn't good at it because I relied too much on the teachers and because I didn't understand the basics of everything. Six years later, I'm older and smarter and to me a teacher is useless now because the majority of them can't even explain something correctly. I've relearned everything on my own and now it's just me and the books. The books explain things correctly. I don't need a teacher.

I see your point. I think that you and I share the same problem. Yet, I believe that anyone can master math. Some people catch on quicker than others. I've always wanted to be a math geek. ::(:

I'm a Maths graduate. One thing I've learned is that it's not just about techniques, memorization. It's not even just about understanding one particular topic. But it's more about a way of thinking. Almost philosophical even.

The most memorable words that my prof said that I still remember to this day... "So this seems tough doesn't it? What can we do? Try... That's what maths is all about really. What life is all about"... something like that. Exact phrasing forgotten...

I used to play chess competitively and in tournaments. Sometimes I face people such as international masters and such... But like Maths, it's not about just 'moves', calculations and such... Both Maths and chess have a lot for the inquiring mind to learn from... Determination, admitting a mistake, valuing, making the best out of a bad situation...

It's these things that I benefit from. Another prof admitted outright and told us on the first lecture that what we're learning, the actual content (calculation of heat dispersal or something)... it's probably utterly useless to us. But the kind of thinking... rigorous and often creative thinking, trying... that is the value in maths.

By the way, I used to be quite poor at maths and hated it to some extent. But university really opened up my eyes to the beauty in it.

philly2bits

an Asian that isn't good at math? :eek:

no ism......

(btw I never understand how saying Asians are good at math could be considered racist, that's actually a compliment.)

Good or bad, it's still a stereotype based on nothing more then a persons race.

I respect that view. I really do. But stereotyping based on race or laughing at a racial joke is no worse than stereotyping or laughing at jokes based on a person's sex, weight, height, clothes, or other general appearance.

Also, I know first-hand that some of the very same asians that get most offended by asian jokes are the ones that regularly laugh at or mock other races. (Not to suggest that people of other races don't do that too btw, because they do.) Just saying that you can't be hypocritical about it. :)

Just wanted to be clear and add that I'm not calling you a hypocrite. lol. You seem like a very good person. :)

My thinking is that we just gotta tailor our jokes to the audience that we have at the moment, that's all. In this case it's the whole SPW community. and we should just try to be considerate of people's feelings in general, which is not hard to do when you're SP. and then we're good.

Masychefx2

Banned
god i hate maths i was retarded at maths in primary school and had to have special help lol

but somehow i managed to get a c in gcse maths even though i was projected a D as my best possible grade so i showed them ha