Do you hate yourself?

Love is Hate

I really hate saying this, but yes, I hate myself so much more than anyone will ever know. I think even if I were good at something, in my own mind I'd still be horrible at it. I hate just about everything about myself, and at times I find myself disgusting. But, good god I hate saying that. It sounds soo annoying. I wouldn't ever tell people something like that. It's probably not too hard for them to figure it out themselves, but I'd never openly express my self-hatred.

AimeeSP

I hate the way i look, but i'm starting to like who i am on the inside because i know i'm a good person. I can't stand my face, especially my eyes. They look like cats eyes, they look so evil and many times when i'm just looking around people have thought i'm giving them evils. Grr. :(

Pink_Paula

I hate the way i look, i hate the way i can behave sometimes, i hate that i have agoraphobia, depression etc...i wouldn't go so far to say i hate myself but some days there isn't a lot to like!

Emily_G

Not sure if it's self-hatred...but low self esteem definitly contributes to my SA type symptoms caused by stuttering. I know people that stutter can have a very good social life if they don't care about their stuttering..

Shift

I don't really hate myself, but sometimes when I am really depressed I feel absolutely worthless and I think I hate myself.

nopark

I've been thinking about this a bit since I posted yesterday...

"Hate" is a strong word and carries overly negative connotations. I don't think I hate myself. There's a laundry list of things I'd like to change about myself -- but the core of my personality I actually like.

My first reaction to "Do you hate yourself?" was a fervent "Yes!" -- but that response, I think, was formed from a habit of self-deprecating.

I wonder how many of us in this thread have confused low self-esteem or low self-worth with personal hatred. While the former might lead to the latter, I think it's important to note the distinction between the two.

Lea

Banned
I've been thinking about this a bit since I posted yesterday...

"Hate" is a strong word and carries overly negative connotations. I don't think I hate myself. There's a laundry list of things I'd like to change about myself -- but the core of my personality I actually like.

My first reaction to "Do you hate yourself?" was a fervent "Yes!" -- but that response, I think, was formed from a habit of self-deprecating.

I wonder how many of us in this thread have confused low self-esteem or low self-worth with personal hatred. While the former might lead to the latter, I think it's important to note the distinction between the two.

Exactly. I was thinking of this too and I realized it was a nonsense. I know for certain that I am not angry at myself, neither think I am inferior. I am sure that I lack much of smartness and knowledge and skills of others, don't know why I should be inferior because of that though. I am painfully aware of all (or most) of my shortcomings but this doesn't mean that I don't have sense of personal dignity. Equaly I hate if someone mocks me or someone else for not knowing what they do or thinking of people who are less smart as inferior. It happened to me a few times before that I greatly admired someone for being educated or having skills etc., until they started to look at me as inferior because I didn't know what they did. If something such happens, no matter how smart they are I loose all respect for them.

I also think, our skills and knowledge don't really define who we are... it is somehow not important. I can remember a story of a man who put years of effort into learning how to levitate. Then he was proud that he could walk on water. Someone told him, oh what a waste of time, easier to take a boat. The thing with this story is, the man was working for years only on his own self improvement, to show others how great he was. He was cultivating his ego, but in my opinion we are here on earth rather to loose it, become more humble and unimportant. Because our ego, our importance, is just a dust in the wind. As Jesus said (don't beat me up for a religious reference, I just quote it just because it makes sense to me), whoever wants to retain his life will loose it, but who will loose it for me will live forever. Now insert "ego" instead of life, and "others" instead of Jesus.

With unimportant I don't mean we should become doormatish or give up trying, quite on the contrary, but at the same time we should be aware of relative importance of our pursuits. There is a proverb "we should act as if it depended on everything, yet inside sits a small Buddha who doesn't care about anything". We should do anything within our power, but at the same time don't get too proud of it and be aware that it doesn't make us the centre of the world. We shouldn't identify us much with what we achieved, or with our beauty, posessions etc.

Because who are you? Is it your body? Is it young and beautiful now? A bit ahead of time, it will be old and ugly, and a bit more later even decaying under earth. Is it your emotions? You feel happiness, saddness, anger, love, but it's all passing. What you feel today, you may not tomorrow. So how can this be the real you? Or are you proud of your intellect? A calculator or a smart machine or trained animal can be able to do the same. You might even be a smart businessman and gain riches in your life, but that's only what you did for your body and for your ego. Therefore, it all gets lost and what remains... We people have ephemeral lives, that's why it seems a bit pathetic how we dwell on our little egos and self-importance. What will a pretty young girl who based all her self worth on her beauty do when she gets old? There must be more than it or not?

If someone says: I love myself, or I hate myself, I am sure you just mean your ego. You cannot love or hate your real inner being, since this is innocent, pure, there is no love (the kind of love we know, but the more unconditional kind) or hate, yet there is wisdom, balance, endless patience...

Great advice? Hardly. Anyone can come up with it. I merely reached the bit first and responded. I spoke first. That is the only thing that makes my advice "great". Care for people? There are plenty who do. My actions in doing so do not constitute any sort of amazing feat. There is also the belief that any so called "good" action can also be reversed into an act of selfish greed. Say a person was assisting another. One could say that he was helping out of the kindness of his heart. Yet another could claim that he was helping only to gain that person's trust for his own benefit.

No..Im sorry, the stuff I read that you put is just different. you stand out.

Yes I completely understand what you said about helping out of the kindness of their heart, or helping to gain something..I look at things in life both ways like that all the time.
In your case I dont think your after something when you give advice.

But this is what I see about you, I guess you see yourself differently but just know then that people think your good and you give good advice. so there :p

ayama

I don't think I hate myself. "Hate" is a strong word. I don't like a lot of things about myself for sure, I have a very low self esteem and feel pretty much useless most of the time. But I know that inside I am a good person with good intentions.

I wish people would accept me, but that will not happen until I am able to accept myself. Being a perfectionist, that's a very hard, if not impossible, thing for me to do.

Pink_Paula

I wouldn't go so far to say i hate myself, but there is a heck of a lot about me that i don't like, i wish i wasn't as messed up, ugly, distugting as i am, i wish i wasn't here most days because all i do is hurt and upset people, but meh what can i do?

ffeev223234

Yeah and there are scars on my butt

Good Lord there is a fly in my drink-someguy
I put it there,-wise man
you did-someguy
I put it in as a gag-wise man

Last edited:

A_Void_Ant

I hate my lifestyle but not my self. I hate my job, my habbits; my lack of friends, and interaction; and my lack of fortitude to engage in society. However, I've learned to accept my self. I now think that I am attractive inside and out. Try asking me that 5 years ago. I couldn't look at my face in the mirror without feeling like ripping it off let alone the insane thoughts of death to everyone, including myself, that ran through my head. My SA has gotten worse but I have learned to accept my self. I believe this is a big step towards socializing but I have a long way to go.

Yup, I hate myself as well. I hate the fact that I hate myself as well. I also distrust anybody that shows any interest in me, since I'm such a dreadful human being I figure they must have some ulterior motive. I guess I take heart in the fact that I know that low-self esteem from SA and/or depression causes people like us to feel this way, so we can't be all that bad... I guess...