What social situation do you fear most?

What are the 3 social situations do u fear most?

• Total voters

JamesSmith

I didn't see this on the list, but I'd have to say the social situation I fear most is open showers with a bunch of guys. I'm talking about a big shower room where you can see everyone, no curtains or guards or anything. I've always been ashamed of my manhood, and this is my biggest social fear is being around other men in the shower totally naked. I also don't like urinals without guards.

Feathers

try running an eco club. oi, very scary...

(interesting too, but scary)

okay, maybe you win. I don't even know why they make such urinals?? (couldn't not-read it, yikes..) don't they think men can have some common decency/embarassement.. I always thought I'd die of embarassement if I were a man and had to 'do' it in public too.. ay!!
who designs these things??

Just G

1.) Give a speech - I'm usually confident before I'm called on to go up, but when I get up there - in front of everyone - everything changes for some reason. When I see everyone's eyes fixed on me, my adrenaline and anxiety immediately sky rockets, and as a result, I usually black out. When I draw a blank, I grow hot in the face, I start talking faster, my eye contact becomes inconsistent, I start becoming fidgety, etc. My solution for overcoming this to prepare diligently without procrastinating. I need to slow down and give myself time to let the words come out of my mouth. Also, another thing that helps me, is if I'm able to walk every so often as I'm speaking. When I walk, it helps get rid of some of that nervous energy (for example, look at the way Chris Rock moves during his stand up, I like to move in a similar way).

2.) Being with a group of strangers - It's never easy being around a large concentration of people you don't know. It stresses you out because you don't know what to say or what to do without looking like a jackass. There is no solution for this, other than simply saying hello or adding something to the current discussion.

3.) Asking for a date - As a man, I desire companionship with the opposite sex. I admired women on so many levels, so much, that I scared myself into not approaching them. I would put them on pedastals because of my inferiority complex. However, as I've come to realize over the years, women are not these overly critical, savage beasts we men make them out to be. They're very forgiving and understanding, as well as very appreciative of us taking the lead. They're approachable, as long as we treat them like human beings and not like a prize that has to be won.

Most of my anxiety stems from these grandiose outcomes I set for myself. I get in the mindset of "I'm a failure if I don't either get a.) this woman sexually attracted to me, b.) her cell phone number, or c.) a future date. As you may well know, it never ends well when everything is result-oriented.

The anxiety lingers because it's something I've never done before. Therefore, I think once I can get over that initial hump, I'll get better and will want to continue doing it.

However, I have to learn to love and accept myself before I can even think about starting a relationship with another person. That will be the process.

JamesSmith

try running an eco club. oi, very scary...

(interesting too, but scary)

okay, maybe you win. I don't even know why they make such urinals?? (couldn't not-read it, yikes..) don't they think men can have some common decency/embarassement.. I always thought I'd die of embarassement if I were a man and had to 'do' it in public too.. ay!!

This goes back to society's culture i was talking about in a different thread. For years, society has expected men to be the tough ones that aren't supposed to be afraid of stuff. A good example is looking at wars. What sex has been fighting the wars for years? Men. Things haven't changed too much. If men are being sent out to their deaths, there shouldn't be a problem with a man taking a leak with the next guy right next to your shoulder, right?

I didn't see this on the list, but I'd have to say the social situation I fear most is open showers with a bunch of guys. I'm talking about a big shower room where you can see everyone, no curtains or guards or anything. I've always been ashamed of my manhood, and this is my biggest social fear is being around other men in the shower totally naked. I also don't like urinals without guards.

I hate this too, I'm not ashamed to go naked, I just like privacy, so don't force me into public naked space. I also don't like the posers that you get (look at me, look at me, no not there, down there...) and I simply hate the sight of naked male bodies

For me being with a group of strangers is the worst by far! Followed by parties - I find them sooo awkward. And after that, asking someone out on a date. I only do it over instant message or texts because I'd be waaaaay too scared to ask someone out in person!!!

Kiwong

My big boss doesn't like me, and has noticed my anxiety.

I've been in a group of 75,000 runners at the Sydney City to Surf, and no one knew me. So big crowds of strangers are no probs for me.

Being with members of the opposite sex with the potential of being misrepresented as shallow.

Parties. Could be a problem if I went to any.

Apparently I'm good at public speaking. It's one on one communication I have trouble with.

Meeting a date's parents. Not a problem considereing I've never been on a date.

Asking for a date. I've only asked for a date twice in my life, and the last time was 1999

New job. This could be a problem if I lose my current job and have to find a new one.

Interview. As above.

Saying something stupid. Not so bad.

Aussie_Lad

Talking to your boss/manager (No problem as I get along well with my boss)
Being with a group of strangers (Can be problematic depending on the environment)
Being with the opposite sex (depends on what is meant by "being", but I am comfortable enough talking to woman)
Parties (don't particularly like parties, try and avoid when possible)
Giving a speech (haven't had the need, so this is a unknown)
Meeting a date's parent's (I often get along better with older people than people my age)
Asking for a date (avoided when younger, still extremely nervous but haven't had the opportunity for a while)
New job/New school (Nervous, but am able to cope)
Interviews (Mostly okay, as long as the interviewer doesn't ask silly questions)
Saying someting stupid (Everyone does this occasionally so I just laugh it off)

Dj SL

good points of view... I think everyone is fearful to different social situations. Everyone is different.

Feathers

@ feathers; for who is that question?
What question? You mean this:
It was a rhetorical question aimed at public restrooms (?) :) Not sure if anyone on this forum knows exact names or designers/historic figures/authorities who started it? Or laws allowing it? (was basically just shaking head over it)
Shy men of the world unite!! Demand laws of protection of dignity?!! :)
/Probably some Catholic/religious people would definitely join..? :D/

Oh, as for the poll - I wished there was another category or two, but I know it's already a lot of them..

trying to do something new and unexpected and unorthodox and 'eco' (in a tiny town) can be very frustrating and include a lot of awkward social situations too... (but not sure how to translate it into a poll option :))

DespairSoul

Hello here,

The most i really fear this what u forgot write here crowdy places. Like shopping centrums,
concerts,parties,swimming pools, autobus,train...

UnOccupied

Ha, damn man...these are pretty much all of em for me, tough tough decision...went with parties, meeting girls, and saying stupid things.

My biggest fears at the moment are interviews (I've been through quite a few, but even putting in an application is too scary for me right now- maybe because so far they've gone nowhere, and I don't expect that to change), being with a group of strangers- at least in casual social settings, public places for daily things I'm okay (store, work, bank, etc), and asking people for dates (I've never done this, and don't think I ever will... especially being a female).

Dj SL

IN this survey poll I didn't posted 9 or 10 social situations I discarded them::p: I chose the most fearful one's but I forgot crowd places, nudity, late to class, discussions, opinions and more...

Minty

Do the strangers in the group know each other? Because when I group up in class with people who don't know each other, it's not that bad. We're all usually awkward towards each other.

Dj SL

My biggest fears at the moment are interviews (I've been through quite a few, but even putting in an application is too scary for me right now- maybe because so far they've gone nowhere, and I don't expect that to change), being with a group of strangers- at least in casual social settings, public places for daily things I'm okay (store, work, bank, etc), and asking people for dates (I've never done this, and don't think I ever will... especially being a female).

Well, you're afraid of being evaluated, you can start step by step; Face the fear... trust me no one can read your mind. It's easy to say ha; same here I'm afraid of being evaluated.:cool: