What have you done that you thought you couldn't do?

powerfulthoughts

There are many instances where I had pushed myself to do something that I thought I couldn't do. For example, I never thought I would be able to work a cash register because of my severe SA. I also never thought that I would be able to live on my own and support myself; I am extremely proud of that.

What are you proud of yourself for doing?

mikebird

Banned
I like that!

I have the same thought about cash registers.

Never touched 'em. I grew up with parents in our pub, and they had hotels, cafes, and petrol stations. I remember 1970s non-electronic, big tills which looked like a typewriter, making alarm-bell-like sounds.

Does anyone have any problems with fiddly things? Mine could be medical, or naturally born this way. I have trouble fiddling with metal or paper money - dropping it, or counting it. Difficult doing up shirt buttons or tie, which all used to be fine for me.

Could SA make anyone have fiddly fingers?

recluse

Joined a karate class almost two years ago. I still feel anxious being watched performing my Kata though.

Roman Legion

Joined the military with Selective Mutism.. I really have not found myself in the position where I am required to talk, so long as I do whatever dumb job there I have to.. Mostly I just sweep and mop and play the game out of sight.. I'm really good at that game.. I only did it because I literally had no other employment options and it was preferable to being broke and I only have to dread one weekend a month.

Section_31

Mike, let me know how that goes for you. To this day ive never been outside of canada and get really shaken up when i think about leaving.

Your brave man :). And you inspire me.

Agent_Violet

learned to ride a big motorcycle
left the comfort of marriage and a stable bank account to get my own apartment and take care of myself.

lonely_drummer

My biggest one is finishing University, never thought I would do that lol. Another is doing a 300km trek for 2 weeks up on the glaciers of Svalbard Norway. I was so nervous beforehand thinking that my months of training and getting ready weren't gonna do a thing. To my surprise, it was just what I needed. Another one is something I did a few months ago and that was to play my solo acoustic material in front of a crowd. I been in bands, playing guitar or drums and that was never a problem but singing on the other hand, no thats a chore and a half, especially in front of anyone. But I manned up and did it with flying colours. That last one, I am very proud of.

Roman Legion

Mike, let me know how that goes for you. To this day ive never been outside of canada and get really shaken up when i think about leaving.

Your brave man :). And you inspire me.

I'd like to just drive up there alone and enjoy a quiet road trip.. Then return home and never do it again..

bcsr

Got and kept a decent job
Bought a house
Got engaged
Broke up with my fiance' (lol), returning to a lonely single life

Iluv

I never thought I could ever work at a place in the field of customer service or retail. Did both, like a boss may I add :cool:. Oh yeah, and I went to New York. That was scary, lot's of people! But I will never forget it.