What book are you currently reading?

zaproffo

Watership Down by Richard Adams and every once and awhile I read a poem from Alfred Lord Tennyson.

I started reading that right before Demons, but I couldn't get far because I felt like every time I opened it I was opening up the world of danger for the rabbits. If I don't read it, nothing bad will happen to them for me!

x000x

I'm reading The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy. I'm also reading a manga (not really a book, but a comic) called Initial D.

krs2snow

Just finished "Peaking Out. How My Mind Broke Free from the Delusions in Psychiatry" by Al Siebert, Ph.D as told to Sam Kimball, Ph.D. Al was diagnosed as a schizophrenic in 1965 and voluntarily checked into a mental hospital. A few months later, he checked out -against medical advice and led a productive life. The book is his perspecitve of his "illness". Interesting b-cuz Al Siebert was highly educated in the area of psychology. He passed away in 2009 but managed to leave his mark on the world.

How resilient are you to lifes adversities? Take Al's quiz to find out.

Resiliency Quiz: "How Resilient Are You?" from the Resiliency Center

Last edited:

Tiercel

Just started Zero: The Story of Japan's Air War in the Pacific.

I really need to figure out how to get this scanner to work. Then I can just drop the book on, scan, and upload.

And my resiliency scored a 63. Slow, but adequate.

:rolleyes:

Aussie_Lad

Currently reading "The Brain That Changes Iteslef" by Norman Doidge MD. It is a fascinating read which talks about neuroplasticity being used as therapy for many types of mental related illness.

I'm stuck on my current book, so I'm going to give The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (gesundheit!) a try. I enjoyed One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, but this book is much, much longer.

maiato

Banned
I'm reading lots of newspapers and magazines every morning after a good 1hour walk....does it counts?? :)

Now serious i'm on Jack Kerouac books...."On the road" and there are no words to say how good it is!

Luke1993

I'm reading a book called The Room (not anything to do with the film)

Basically it's told through the perspective of a five year old boy called Jack. Because of this it's quite difficult to read and hard to follow but it's good in a way because it's used to slowly reveal the plot.

The book is set in a place Jack calls Room. Jack has lived with his mother (called Ma in the book) in Room for his whole life and is happy. He's told by Ma that only the things inside Room are real and everything else outside isn't. Jack's "friends" are objects in Room and he names them all with capital letters (eg Spoon, Bed, Wardrobe) and because it's told from his perspective they are kind of their own characters.

Every night a man who is "half real" (as he exists outside and in Room) enters Room through a metal door who Jack calls Old Nick. Ma tells Jack to stay inside Wardrobe so Jack never meets Old Nick properly at first, but he overhears short conversations followed by numerous creaking noises.

Now below I'm kinda giving away what happens so *SPOILERS!*

So as I'm reading this I'm thinking "what the hell is this book supposed to be about!?" but as the story progresses through conversations Jack overhears with Old Nick and Ma you realise what's going on. Ma was a teenage girl who was kidnapped by Old Nick years ago and imprisoned in a soundproof room. Old Nick has been raping Ma ever since and Jack is a result of that (also why Ma tells Jack to stay in the wardrobe every night so he doesn't see it happening). Ma eventually tells Jack that she lied about the outside world to protect him. She then says that they need to escape.

This book was written after the Josef Fritzl case so you can see this book was clearly influenced by it. There's some other big things that happen but I don't want to spoil everything. I haven't quite finished it yet but it's definitely a very unique book.

arsenalwa

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. Fits my mood these days perfectly, what with this painful loneliness I'm feeling and it being about human loneliness more than it's a horror novel.