Today is National Hug Day.

Do you like to hug people?

• Total voters

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
At least it is in America, England, Australia, and Canada. It was founded in 1986.

There was a campaign for free hugs, but it got banned here.

There's also an illustrated guide on free hugs, but I couldn't get that to work because I'm a moron.

Are you a hugger? Do you like to hug people you know? Even people you just met sometimes? I do. I didn't used to. It took me a long time to get comfortable with it. Perhaps my early 30s. I quite like it now though. Most of the time.

I'm only leaving the house today to see True Grit. I suppose I could attempt to hug a stranger at the theater, but I'm pretty sure I won't even try. That would be too much.

e-hugs to all of you, though! :D

squidoo said:
A hug is a form of physical intimacy, that usually involves closing or holding the arms around the neck or waist of another person or group of persons, referred to as a group hug. A hug, sometimes in association with a kiss, eye contact or other gestures, is a form of nonverbal communication. Depending on culture, context and relationship, a hug can indicate familiarity, love, affection or friendship.

Unlike some other forms of physical intimacy, when both parties mutually engage in the act, a hug can be practiced publicly and privately without stigma in many countries, religions and cultures, within families, and also across age and gender lines, but is generally an indication that people are familiar with each other. An unexpected hug can be regarded as an invasion of a person's personal space, but if it is reciprocated it is an indication that it is welcome.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Same for me, I used to hate it, but now I kinda like it. It's better than kissing on the cheeks anyway, THAT I really dislike. I'm never the one who hugs first but when I'm hugged I happily hug back. Since I know it doesn't really show when I appreciate someone, I feel it is an occasion to show it.

So.... *hug back :D*

Tiercel

Were I to hug a nation, I'd probably pick a small one. I imagine they'd get overlooked by most people.

And both Mom and I want to see True Grit. Maybe we'll get around to it this weekend.

*shakes your hand and hugs you with left arm only* ;)

StupidWiz

I rarely hug, even though I really want to hug someone when I'm feeling down. :(

I won't hug first (fear of rejection) but If someone I care hugs me, I'll hug them back. :)

hug for you all!!!

Lol, people actually stand in the public to shout for hugs, with signs in their hands ´´Hug for free!´´ I think that´s a good practice for us people lol :D

Mokkat

got noone to hug. If I were to get hugged by some stranger while taking a walk or something, I would feel very akward and alone afterwards :(

Sinar_Matahari

I only like to hug people I know well, but I'll hug just about anyone if they need one or they try to hug me. I'll hug people even if I feel uncomfortable. I do the kiss on the cheek thing. It's a lot less body contact.

I'm awful with hugs... I really tense up and freeze - I suppose it's a bit like trying to hug a tree...

Cyber-hugs are fine though. ;)

*hugs for all*

awkwardamanda

I don't really like hugging people. I always feel awkward at family occasions and that, when someone gives me a hug as they're leaving or arriving. I'll hug back, but I still feel kind of uncomfortable. I don't initiate it. Definitely don't like the kiss on cheek. I just let it go though. Even my parents, I rarely hug. Only if it's some special occasion or whatever. I don't hug my friends. I used to dance a lot and most of the other girls in my classes liked to hug each other. But then many of them were good friends and I didn't really fit in. I didn't mind if they hugged me, but I could have done without it. I also don't like when someone touches my arm or something while they're talking to me. Especially if it's a stranger. I work in a department store and I'll get the occasional customer who might pat my shoulder or something while talking to me. I really don't like that. I just don't want people touching me. It's uncomfortable. Probably has a lot to do with past sexual abuse. I need my personal space. I would, however, enjoy affection from the right sort of person. I'd like a guy to hug and to cuddle with. I wouldn't be comfortable with just anyone though. Don't expect much of that anyway.

worrywort

aaw, I wish I'd known it was national hug day...I could've done with a hug today! ::(:

I love hugs but rarely initiate them because that feeling of embarrassment and awkwardness when I get it wrong is just so hard to bare it's usually not worth the risk.

....maybe I'll try to hug more this year....hugs are good things! :)

I am a hug enthusiast in denial.. Though, the ''in denial'' part only applies to humans.

I'll hug any animal, or have the urge to. Even hedgehogs.. kangaroos.. tigers.. (if given the chance) you know, the ones that're gonna get me hurt or very much killed. :B

Nah, I'm not that stupid, but on some level I'd like to.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
It must also be national catch a cold day too. :p

163186_1805022362930_1161028271_32091665_1705714_n.jpg

I suspect this was not related to National hug day. But I could be wrong.

I used to be very uncomfortable with hugs- growing up, my family was never a demonstrative one. But I'd say I've gotten used to them- I even know a few people who use hugs pretty much as a greeting. I'm not completely comfortable with them unless I know the person, but I can do it with almost anyone without showing my discomfort (I think).