The 2012 phenomenon..any believers?

knowledgeofself

I believe nothing catastrophic is going to happen. if anything does happen I think it will be along the lines of some type of scientific discovery here on earth that will change how we live in the future. for example if lhc results were so extraordinary it gave us insight into a new understanding about how the universe works, with that understanding development of ideas to further our growth into inner or outer space exploration and manipulation of forces previously beyond our control. in short I don't think the world is going to end but something like the above could usher in a new age for human kind.

HappySquidward

I don't think the world is just gonna explode or something. But, eventually the Earth will become uninhabitable when the sun enlarges right before it turns into a white dwarf.
Though, to be safe, I am getting ready just in case there is a zombie apocalypse later this year:).

i can dismiss everything except doomsday crop circles...they're just too sophisticated and complex to be man made IMO. I pose this, why would any group of individuals choose to go out in a field and create a very labour intensive message to human kind without any chance of recognition, remuneration, or benefit of any kind but with a large chance of retribution? nobody can explain this...

Flanscho

I'm a man of science. As such, I'm 100% sure that the chance of the world ending any time soon is as likely as having pink elefants rain down from the sky any moment.

*peeks out of the window*

No pink elefants raining down.

Lea

Banned
I'm a man of science. As such, I'm 100% sure that the chance of the world ending any time soon is as likely as having pink elefants rain down from the sky any moment.

*peeks out of the window*

No pink elefants raining down.

Can you elaborate this a bit, thank you.

Starry

i can dismiss everything except doomsday crop circles...they're just too sophisticated and complex to be man made IMO. I pose this, why would any group of individuals choose to go out in a field and create a very labour intensive message to human kind without any chance of recognition, remuneration, or benefit of any kind but with a large chance of retribution? nobody can explain this...

People do all kinds of things purely for the reason of knowing that they've done it. Also, some people enjoy creating a mystery because they want to baffle people...

Also, what about the Georgia Guidestones? A man (or group of men, perhaps?), who has chosen to remain unknown had to pay a very large amount of money to send his message to mankind... I'd say that anyone who creates crop circles would have the same mentality as the originator of the guidestones.

Maybe it's as simple as making people think... If something is mysterious or unusual then people are more likely to take notice of it than something mundane... People know this, so they create mystery...

Of course, the crop circles may have nothing to do with that, it may simply be people having a laugh at the fuss people kick up about it trying to find explanations...

Flanscho

Can you elaborate this a bit, thank you.

Let's put it like this: there is zero indication, theory or anything else that points towards the world ending some time later this year. Or next year. Or within the next decade, or whatever. As such, if the world would end any time soon, it would be without us having a way to detect it beforehand. Such as what with the theory of the universe existing only because it's an unstable anomaly, and might phase back into non-existence any moment. Sure, that can happen. But, as far as we know, it's unlikely.

Polar shift? Old hat. I learned about that in geography class 15 years ago. Not gonna happen within the next few million years. Before the magnetic poles shift, the magnetic field of the world will slowly become weaker, which will take a looooooong time. And then it will, within a comparable short time, flip. That happened in the past, as has been proven by the way magnetic thingies are orientied in old lava flows (learned that 15 years ago, so mind me if it ain't 100% correct what I remember).

There is currently no hint towards the magnetic field flipping any time soon.

And the whole maya thing is garbage anyway. They didn't even know the concept of apcalypse of any form. So claiming that they predicted it is totally weird.

All this is has been just blown out of proportion for the sole reason of making money. Ripping of people who believe stuff to easily, by making them buy books and stuff about something as unlikely as the world ending this second, in five minutes, or later this year.

It's not far away from all the esoteric stuff. "sit on the crystal and it will heal your hemorrhoids. I sell you the crystal for 5000$. Oh yes, it's worth only 10$, but I sprinkled it with magical crystal water".

The whole "end of the world" thing is super popular, especially in religious countries like the USA. It attracts viewers, readers, everyone. As such it generates money. As such the media try to keep it in the news, and try to influence the people with half-baked knowledge, bent the way until it fits, for the sole reason of keeping peoples attention and making money.

Lea

Banned
Flanscho you don´t believe the poles are shifting now? Or you do but think it will be very slow and won´t influence our lives anymore? But you do agree that in the end of this process they will suddenly flip (within comparably short time). This is what they predict will happen now this year because of the aligning of Earth with Sun and the galactic centre. So you think it is a BS?

Flanscho

Flanscho you don´t believe the poles are shifting now? Or you do but think it will be very slow and won´t influence our lives anymore? But you do agree that in the end of this process they will suddenly flip (within comparably short time). This is what they predict will happen now this year because of the aligning of Earth with Sun and the galactic centre. So you think it is a BS?

I think that poles are shifting sloooooooooowly. Except for that magnetic flip, which will happen quite suddenly (which means within a timespan few hundred or thousand years probably, in several million years in the future), once the magnetic field of earth is low enough. However, I'm 100% sure that this is not happening in our lifetime, and that it has nothing to do with the galactic centre. That's bs imho. That's too close to astrology. "If Jupiter, Mars and Saturn are aligned, it's the day to play lottery". It sounds impressive. "woooah galactic centre aligned...", but I highly doubt that there is any scientific basis.

"They", who predict that this is gonna happen, just want to make more money.

But in the end it doesn't matter. As long as people don't sell their worldly possessions shortly before this is supposed to happen, to spend it luxury hotels or whatnot, or stop taking their meds because the world ends anyway... As long as people just think "yeah it might" and live on their regular lifes, it doesn't matter. They will just wake up the next day again, think "oh, hm, still here", and continue with their lifes. Until the next apocalypse is announced.

If I remember it correctly, some people even committed suicide, because they'd rather die that way instead of beeing ripped apart by a black hole that the LHC in Switzerland might create. Maybe that will be next year up to date again.

Last edited:

chibiXphantom

the mayan calender they found doesnt mention anything about the world ending, its basically just the end of a cycle. much like the yearly calenders we have. the world doesnt end at the end of december, we just get a new calender and start over at january. it just marks some end to their long calender, and (if they were still around) would probably make a new one and start over

knowledgeofself

the same reason people make fake ufo video's. to trick people. there was a documentary I saw a while back (I forget the name) where a load of people confessed how they made really elaborate ones in groups together.

i like the new age thing. its interesting.

they say the world will transform to something better, well, why not?

and if we all go down, we will all be warriors fighting , don't we ?

let's go to a cave or a igloo and take a lot of burgers and chips with us.

and snack until we go down or go high ::p:

You know, I don't think the world would end, I do hope something will change as in the form of respect for everybody and trust :D.

if that's possible, a sixth sense for trust, well, lets go for it.

And besides, we're all new age since we have SA (i think) at least autistic people do and people with HSP... ;)

maybe we go to something like nicholas cage his son went to, another kind of dimension in the movie ''knowing''

though the mayans seem so smart ^_^

gustavofring

All this new agey talk scares me to be honest.

Utopia doesn't exist, we're not there yet by far. And it certainly isn't gonna happen overnight that everyone suddenly becomes a Flowerchild.

I know when people are depressed, have anxiety and feel like an outcast they long for a "better world", they're willing to buy into anything.

The trouble is, if an so-called expert says that there's a 1 in 8 chance of a massive solar flare or corona ejection in Dec 2012, how do we know what the chances are that they're right or wrong about those chances??. They may be experts but clearly the sun/etc are not that easy to predict precisely, in which case the experts projections could ALL be way off target???.

So although open-minded, until I learn more about all this I am still not ready to prepare myself for any disaster.

Last edited:
the same reason people make fake ufo video's. to trick people. there was a documentary I saw a while back (I forget the name) where a load of people confessed how they made really elaborate ones in groups together.

O.K when i said some are too sophisticated to be man-made i may have misslead some people...when it comes to crop circles sometimes the more elaborate ones are proven to be man made whereas the more simpler ones are unexplained. It's more on how they are seem to be made then the design itself...the secret services of the U.S have comissioned certain unbiased "experts" to fully investigate the circles and you'd be surprised which ones are the man made ones and which are the unexplained according to these experts...the unexplained ones have no trace of entry/exit trails, appear to be formed from vortesies rather then stomping boards or whatever they call them. Google doug and dave, the infamous circlemakers of the early days.

Last edited: