Social situation you fear the most (Reworked)

Select one social situation that you fear the most (Reworked)

• Talking to an authority figure (boss, teacher...)

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • Being with the opposite sex

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Crowded places (shopping centers)

Votes: 17 8.0%
  • Being with a group of strangers

Votes: 17 8.0%
  • Meeting a date's parents

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Asking for a date

Votes: 19 8.9%
  • Interviews

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Saying something stupid

• Parties

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Giving a speech

Votes: 29 13.6%
  • New places/New job/New school

Votes: 14 6.6%
  • Expressing your feelings (Saying I love you)

Votes: 14 6.6%
  • Sex/Nudity

• Being with a group of friends

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Being the center of attention

Votes: 35 16.4%

• Total voters

Aletheia

It was hard picking just one. I was gonna choose "interviews" but went with "saying something stupid" 'cause that encompasses everything for me. I have a problem asking for help/asking questions. And a lot of times I do need help, have questions...I just don't want to bother people or be thought of as stupid. This has an isolating effect. I am slowly trying to reach out. Giving myself permission to not know everything, to be weak even. I am not perfect and that is okay.

Frightening. This is me exactly, down to the toss up with interviews.

The 'saying something stupid' is all-encompassing because it makes me anxious in any social situation. And if I do say something stupid, I want to curl into a ball and not leave the house ever ever. I'll torture myself with it forever more.

As for asking questions: on the first day of my first real job, the guy who'd set up my computer hadn't given me the password for it. I wasted two hours before asking him about it; I thought I must be missing something obvious.

tenuous~hold

depends on the day/year...
used to be giving speeches when i was in high school (long long ago)

then it was interviews, but now i'm not even looking for work
so probably now it has to do with the opposite sex i'm guessing

i'd rather just not bother most of the time -
friends are fine, but the rest is too stressful & full of drama it seems

JCVA

I was gonna go with being the center of attention but saying something stupid is the one I fear the most.

MikeyC

Asking a date is something like OMG I don't think I can do, and that was going to be my choice. then further down I read giving a speech, and the anxiety that produces is simply deadly.
Yeah, those two...and about 4 others on that list. I don't know what I'd pick as some situations are just as nerve-wracking as others.

*Amy*

For me giving a speech was the worse but I gave around 8 speeches this semester in school. As a result, it's not my worse social situation anymore. It's difficult for me expressing my feelings to my family and friends. That's why I chose expressing my feelings.

Yeah, that's the clue. The more you do something, the less you fear it.

awkwardamanda

From these choices I'd have to say interviews, although I think every one of them is at least somewhat uncomfortable.:confused: But the absolute worst thing is still making a phone call, by far. I put it off and I put it off and I make myself sick. Sometimes I wind up laying on the floor crying.::(:

MikeyC

From these choices I'd have to say interviews, although I think every one of them is at least somewhat uncomfortable.:confused: But the absolute worst thing is still making a phone call, by far. I put it off and I put it off and I make myself sick. Sometimes I wind up laying on the floor crying.::(:
That's no good. Obviously something about making a phone call fills you with uncertainty.

I can relate, though. I put off calling people or places I don't know because it makes me anxious.

THeCARS1979

I'm going to have to say asking for a date in fear of feeling foolish. I can probably give a speech if i have it written down on paper because I can actually go up and sing karaoke.
Parties would be a problem for me if its not a family party. I am going to the company Christmas party this year so I can practice this. Also being with the opposite sex cause of the fact of getting judged again.

Last edited:

MikeyC

After much deliberation, I chose sex/nudity. It's the one thing that hasn't been conquered yet. I have given speeches in school (despite shaking) and I have actually asked someone out before, and, while they were both anxiety-riddled scenarios, I did them. Sex/nudity is just too much for me, even though I know what a hot girl looks like.

Dj SL

Talking to an authority figure (boss, teacher...) - no problem with this
Being with the opposite sex - fine with this
Crowded places (shopping centers) - usually ok, occasionally get weirded out
Being with a group of strangers - ok
Meeting a date's parents - ??
Asking for a date - I would get nervous about this, I would have to be sure that the person liked me
Interviews - I worry about going blank < hardest?
Saying something stupid - minor hiccup
Parties - ok if I have an escape plan
Giving a speech - depends on the context and audience
New places/New job/New school - ok
Expressing your feelings (Saying I love you) - hmmm?
Sex/Nudity - ok
Being with a group of friends - ok if not for too long
Being the center of attention - ok, depends on context

As you wrote all this, then you know what social situations triggers you more anxiety and what triggers you a lilttle anxiety... Looks for me that you know about this... good for you :cool:

Illusions

I've narrowed it down to:
Giving a speech
Saying something stupid
Asking for a date (o lawd I wouldn't ever do this)

I've never done this before but I imagine it can be frightening:
Expressing your feelings (Saying I love you)

Phraxdust

I've voted for 'Being the center of attention' Though being with a group of strangers comes in close second.
I went for this one because in groups you can sometimes stay out of the spotlight and stay quiet while everyone else talks.
Most of the answers affect me but they are the top two.