Votes: 197 73.2%

• Total voters

Remus

Staff member
I have made it so the poll is anonymous and voters cannot be revealed

Last edited:

this_portrait

=( Sorry to hear about that, Remus.

I've never been sexually abused before, although I've come close to it before. Many of my relatives have been sexually abused, and from what I've seen them go through, I'm very grateful that I never had it happen to me.

Danfalc

Banned
I cant even begin to imagine what it must be like to have to go through that! ::(: Physical and mental abuse are bad enough,but sexual is on a whole other level.And i think anyone whos experinced it must be so strong to carry on.

Remus

Staff member
sorry I didn't explain, that to me still counts as I wonder not only does sexual abuse cause SA but I think it also makes us vulnerable as the quietness/shyness means as children or adults that we "wont tell", I know a few who I have talked to over the years have been victimised as adults in this way. I was like that, I was the quiet shy child and I think (or presume) that is why I was targeted for abuse.

I think also a bully poll would be interesting, for those bullied and causes of thier SA.

I know we also have people on here with other more sever mental health issues that SA is only a by product of.

Rodox

this drives me crazy,there was this lady who would abuse this girl everyday,the whole building would hear,it was some horrible things said,I am even ashamed to post here,I just wanted to go down and smack her.

Remus

Staff member
I did a poll over on SAUK a few years ago, basically the same result, about a quarter of the people polled had been sexually abused, polled for bullying (school or parental) was about half the people.

seems abuse plays a major factor in social anxiety as these figures are way above normal. Or possibly if we have SA already it makes us more of a target? I think some research should be done on the causes

Lonelykitsune

I couldn't agree more! They should make laws where these people are either killed or imprisoned without the possibility of parole. They serve no purpose in this world and we would all be better off without them. I've seen what sexual abuse has done to many friends and family so I despise sexual abusers with a passion.
Sexual abusers shouls hav their balls cut off and thrown in prison so they have no chance to ever do it again.

Krista

Bravo for posting what you did. That's a hard subject to talk about. When I was seven I got placed in foster care and was removed from my mom and step father's home. After my grandma adopted me and I've lived with her since then, I don't like to talk about it with people but I think it definitely kick started the problems that I have now.

lyricalliaisons

Sexual abusers shouls hav their balls cut off and thrown in prison so they have no chance to ever do it again.

I would agree except not all sexual abusers are men & from everything I've heard, it's not about sex, but about power, so even without them, it would still happen in one form or another. Male parts don't have to be involved in order for sexual abuse to occur.

lyricalliaisons

Luckily, I was never sexually abused (or abused in any way), but I was raised around a lot of people who were abused. I have very severe hatred for abusers of any kind.

Harleyq

I don't know whether to put yes or no. I was molested at knife point - once. But honestly, I don't think it affected my SA any more than I already was and I can recount the whole story to you guys in graphic detail and not feel a twinge of negative emotion (though I won't, for obvious reasons) - it was more or less just an unpleasant event to me *shrugs*. Don't know why that is, though. I still find it abnormal that I was practically suicidal after I was cheated on but that particular event had no where near the same impact on me after it occurred and now it's like it's nothing.

EDIT: I just voted yes.

Last edited:

AimeeSP

I was sexually abused by a female cousin from the ages of 4 - 11. Also a man who was trusted as a family friend took me upstairs to his room, locked the door and tried to take half naked photos of me when i was 8. I believe if he'd had the chance he was wanting to rape me. Thankfully i managed to get out of there before he could.

They tore my childhood apart, i won't let them ruin my future anymore.

Last edited:

miss_amy

I voted yes. It was my dad that abused me..I grew up in a very controlling house which made me a very quiet shy person. Im certain this is the cause of my SA.

206Raider

I feel so bad for a lot of you, you have my blessings and those who did what they did deserve to burn in hell and have worse happen to them while they are still on this earth, people like that disgust me. I had close calls I think can't confirm but I'm pretty sure that people tried to do that to me, one time walking home from school in like 6th grade, me and my friend were in an alley and this guy who was like 50 yrs odl and looked really suspect was like "can you help me in my car I need you guys to get inside to help fix this for me" I remember I looked at my friend and looked back at the guy and said "**** you sicko" and we ran the guy got into his car and drove off (so nothing was wrong with his car), then a guy when I was by myself pulled up next to me and said "get it let me give you a ride" he had like 3 teeth and looked scary I said no again and walked off. and the last time was when me and my cousin were like 11 and 10 years old and some creepy looking guy followed us to a 7-11, my cousin didn't believe me but I told him we can't walk home ebcuase I think he will kidnap us, so we went to texaco right across the street and he followed us there and everytime we left, he left and then we went to a k-mart across the street and he followed us there, once inside k-mart we ran around the store for awhile and then ran out the store when we didn't see him and ran home.

iamthenra

I am sorry Remus, I truly am..

I was physically abused by my mother, and my father who was a school teacher stood by and watched it all happen.... I also was a target when I would go to school, at the bus stop, on the bus and in the school. I was always in fights, and most of the time I got the worst of it. I was never a fighter, and I lacked the skills to defend myself physically or verbally... I don't know if it's because of this, that I am now a life member of the National Rifle Association and I have taken up target practice and reloading rifle cartridges as a hobby of mine.... Needless to say, I am quite skilled with a gun.

lunarla

Nothing serious physically has ever happened to me. Though last year, I did sort of feel violated, but I don't think it was really purposeful on the guys' part, they weren't terrible. Maybe they were just being boys? But I had this computer class with a couple acquaintances I knew from another class. They would sometimes make chit chat with me and got fairly friendly, I guess. On a couple occasions, they would throw little pieces of paper or candy or something down my shirt. I was just kind of like "heh" at the time, but really it definitely made my self esteem plummet. I'm sure they thought it was harmless, but even something little like that made me feel so insignificant as a person.

Also, recently I had been walking out of the mall and this white car pulled up beside me full of teenage boys (probably like 7 even though the car could only legally hold 4 of them) and one of them leaned out and said, and I kid you not, "daaaaaaaamn." I'm sure that probably a lot of people think that that's just harmless, but it actually makes me feel really self conscious. Maybe partly because I thought he must have been joking and had a laugh about it with all the rest of his friends. The car waited for a few seconds waiting for some kind of reaction which I didn't give and then sped off.

I realize that those incidents are no where even neaaaar what some of you had went through, and my heart really does go out to you all. Sexual harassment in any form really is probably the worst crime in my mind. I just thought I'd put my mild occasions in there too.

206Raider

ooh that reminds me of a time in middle school I had this friend who was a girl and I joked around a lot back then but I swear on everything that I didn't do anything on purpose but I remember we were sittin at the table and a can of pop fell off the table it wasn't open (I thought it was) and fell in her lap but I tried to grab it before it fell but I was late and she swore up and down that I was trying to touch her innappropriatly but I'm not the type of person to think it's funny to do that, I didn't even think I did I just grabbed the pop, she said she felt "violated" and she was pissed and told other girls and I kept getting confronted by them throughout the day. I apologized and told her I never meant anything I was trying to help but she never believed me and we never really talked again afterwards