Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

dottie

Cried for days about MJ.
Shed tears for Robin Williams.

But Joan Rivers was ugly on the inside. No tears. Comedy isn't being a bully, tearing other people down. All she did was make fun of other women, contributing to that Hollywood ideal women are supposed to compare themselves to. Loud, obnoxious, crass. Not funny. Not strength. Not an inspiration. Not a hero.

shyflower

I don't get why when friends take off and leave you in the dust because they think that the next one they meet is better and then things go to hell between them , that friend that used to be around you wants to come back to you. Why? I don't think they stopped to think that it hurt you to just leave your friendship behind and you were not good enough to be their friend. :idontknow:

S_Spartan

I don't get why when friends take off and leave you in the dust because they think that the next one they meet is better and then things go to hell between them , that friend that used to be around you wants to come back to you. Why? I don't think they stopped to think that it hurt you to just leave your friendship behind and you were not good enough to be their friend. :idontknow:

What are friends? Lol:thinking::bigsmile::giggle:

S_Spartan

Cried for days about MJ.
Shed tears for Robin Williams.

But Joan Rivers was ugly on the inside. No tears. Comedy isn't being a bully, tearing other people down. All she did was make fun of other women, contributing to that Hollywood ideal women are supposed to compare themselves to. Loud, obnoxious, crass. Not funny. Not strength. Not an inspiration. Not a hero.

I disliked Joan Rivers from the first time I saw her back in the 80s guest hosting for Johnny Carson(who here is old enough to remember Johnny Carson?!:blushing:)

She was so abrasive!

I don't really grieve long over celebrity deaths. They mostly have experienced life more than any of us can even imagine.

I get really sad about people who die and nobody is there to even find them in their house or apartment for days. I just heard a local story of a woman who died and was not found for 11 days! Now THAT is incredibly sad.

shyflower

What are friends? Lol:thinking::bigsmile::giggle:

I have had friends. Some I let go of because they needed to be let go of. Some just moved away. Some.. well if they didn't want to be around me.. oh well! As hard as it is sometimes.. I do try to go out and talk to people and make conversation. It's not because I haven't made the effort to be friends with people because I have. Staying in and being a hermit for the rest of my life sounds pretty much like doom to me. I have really been trying to change that.

There are load bearing joists between floors. The ceiling is just there to hide the structure and look pretty. If the ceiling fell, it wouldn't be enough weight to hurt you. If the joists above collapsed with it then you'd be in a bad situation. I wouldn't be too concerned.

Oh, that's a relief. It's pretty common for houses to just kinda sink and warp here, most of the time without damages or casualties. But when it's a crack this wide and deep it's a little scary.

I would be worried a bit too if I was you, but JC is probably right. Still, I would check with the landlord. Best to have it looked at.

By all means, do notify them immediately.

I'll definitely do that. I'm sure cosmetic damage occurs way before prolonged stress collapses happen, but it's hard to tell how bad the actual stucture is. If anything, it should give peace of mind.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Oh, that's a relief. It's pretty common for houses to just kinda sink and warp here, most of the time without damages or casualties. But when it's a crack this wide and deep it's a little scary.

What sort of soil and bedrock are common over there? Around here it's caliche, which is unstable in the long term and the basic reason why few people in my state have basements.

What sort of soil and bedrock are common over there? Around here it's caliche, which is unstable in the long term and the basic reason why few people in my state have basements.

Oh boy, there's a tough question. As I understand it, there's little to no bedrock, and for the rest it's the same type of soft soil you'd typically find in grassy dunes/farming fields but more compressed in city areas, of course.

They typically drive vertical struts into the ground and build the buildings on top of that to counter act sinking, but with smaller complexes I'm not sure whether they do that.

Kiwong

Oh boy, there's a tough question. As I understand it, there's little to no bedrock, and for the rest it's the same type of soft soil you'd typically find in grassy dunes/farming fields but more compressed in city areas, of course.

They typically drive vertical struts into the ground and build the buildings on top of that to counter act sinking, but with smaller complexes I'm not sure whether they do that.

Quaternary or tertiary unconsolidated sediments typical of alluvial plains and Pleistocene backbarriers or Holocene dunes?

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member

Well that doesn't sound like a stable foundation at all!

MollyBeGood

Quaternary or tertiary unconsolidated sediments typical of alluvial plains and Pleistocene backbarriers or Holocene dunes?

We have a mountain that is an an alluvial fan type formation on one of the ranges close to me. I have head this is rare? It is above 10,000 feet high. Otherwise, I love the sentence you wrote here :) Also, we went to a dinosaur museum and I am estimating a few hundred dinosaur bones show in full skeletons(resin cast where they were missing bones) were on display. It was amazing! All of them were from excavations from my home state. Very cool.

MollyBeGood

There are some really scary cracks forming right above where I sleep. The reason why it's scary is because I live on the first floor of four, meaning that there's considerable weight pressing down on our apartment in particular. They run literally from one wall to the other across the width of the room. I'm not really sure how concerned I should be.

sx4F6z.jpg

XRCzmj.jpg

That would concern me too. Looks like a plaster ceiling to me..idk..and it is close to were support joists would be... all of the obvious weight from the other floors is a real issue. I would get it looked at. Be safe.

Kiwong

We have a mountain that is an an alluvial fan type formation on one of the ranges close to me. I have head this is rare? It is above 10,000 feet high. Otherwise, I love the sentence you wrote here :) Also, we went to a dinosaur museum and I am estimating a few hundred dinosaur bones show in full skeletons(resin cast where they were missing bones) were on display. It was amazing! All of them were from excavations from my home state. Very cool.

Wow, sounds interesting, maybe from the course of an ancient river? We have old terraces around here, miles from the active river. Fossils are great. I have a book that studied Australian fossil fauna and created habitats of Northern Australia when Diprotodonts, Thunderbirds, Marsupial Lions, giant goannas, meat eating Kangaroos and a huge terrestrial crocodile used to roam.

Geology is helpful for better understanding where different types of vegetation grow.

MollyBeGood

Wow, sounds interesting, maybe from the course of an ancient river? We have old terraces around here, miles from the active river. Fossils are great. I have a book that studied Australian fossil fauna and created habitats of Northern Australia when Diprotodonts, Thunderbirds, Marsupial Lions, giant goannas, meat eating Kangaroos and a huge terrestrial crocodile used to roam.

Geology is helpful for better understanding where different types of vegetation grow.

That sounds incredible.. and frightening!!Man-eating kangaroo's! Really makes ya wonder...

I am not sure how the fan formed, at that elevation, a river? I don't know if that is how it came to be. It is not surrounded by a plateau, or anything flat so I would say that is not a river bed deposit. Needs further investigation :)