Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

I've always sort of liked dogs... from a distance. I like their general peppy personalities and loyalty, but they've always made me nervous with their excess energy and... sniffiness. I wouldn't care if they didn't so consistently ruin my jogs :sad:

Today I was out for a beautiful run in a beautiful neighborhood (I'm talking gorgeous, huge houses, idyllic ponds, the Connecticut countryside - not far from Newtown, actually O_O ). The bugs were annoying and sometimes freaked me out, haha. But the birds were singing and not a cloud in the sky (although... those can be nice when you're jogging in the glaring sun), and the cars were few and far between. Very peaceful. Until... big chubby yellow beast decides to take a bark-happy run up to me and stick his stupid smelly face all over me, and I have no idea if the thing is going to bite me or not. Thankfully his owner got him away from me after a while of the "bad dog, bad dog!" bull****. Bad dog should be behind a fence, don'tchathink? My heart was pounding so hard as I left that area, dogs really scare me.

Is it cruel to expect a dog to be kept behind a fence or on a leash except when in the owner's house? How am I supposed to run now? :sad: I'm too scared to go back down that way...

Is it okay if I carry pepper spray on me for these situations? Will it do anything to deter the dogs?

Last edited:

ImNotMyIllness

I've always sort of liked dogs... from a distance. I like their general peppy personalities and loyalty, but they've always made me nervous with their excess energy and... sniffiness. I wouldn't care if they didn't so consistently ruin my jogs :sad:

Today I was out for a beautiful run in a beautiful neighborhood (I'm talking gorgeous, huge houses, idyllic ponds, the Connecticut countryside - not far from Newtown, actually O_O ). The bugs were annoying and sometimes freaked me out, haha. But the birds were singing and not a cloud in the sky (although... those can be nice when you're jogging in the glaring sun), and the cars were few and far between. Very peaceful. Until... big chubby yellow beast decides to take a bark-happy run up to me and stick his stupid smelly face all over me, and I have no idea if the thing is going to bite me or not. Thankfully his owner got him away from me after a while of the "bad dog, bad dog!" bull****. Bad dog should be behind a fence, don'tchathink? My heart was pounding so hard as I left that area, dogs really scare me.

Is it cruel to expect a dog to be kept behind a fence or on a leash except when in the owner's house? How am I supposed to run now? :sad: I'm too scared to go back down that way...

Is it okay if I carry pepper spray on me for these situations? Will it do anything to deter the dogs?

He just wanted to be your friend! Imagine if you pepper sprayed the poor thing. I love dogs and their excess energy. They just want to play and be loved. (lol, I guess I can relate waay too much).

That being said, some dogs are dangerous and so are a lot of people. I think as a woman, you should have pepper spray as self defense (mainly for protection against men) buut, you seem to be overly anxious and might spray a dog looking for affection.

Buy some anyway. Just be cautious about using it. If the dog tries to bite, spray. Otherwise, give them a pat on the head and say "good doggy".

He just wanted to be your friend! Imagine if you pepper sprayed the poor thing. I love dogs and their excess energy. They just want to play and be loved. (lol, I guess I can relate waay too much).

That being said, some dogs are dangerous and so are a lot of people. I think as a woman, you should have pepper spray as self defense (mainly for protection against men) buut, you seem to be overly anxious and might spray a dog looking for affection.

Buy some anyway. Just be cautious about using it. If the dog tries to bite, spray. Otherwise, give them a pat on the head and say "good doggy".

No offense intended to you, but I really don't care what the dog is looking for... There's no way for me to know for sure, I don't know its personality. I just want to be left alone to complete my workout. Why should I have to contend with it at all? I am overly nervous around them but I always have been and don't know how to change that. They're just too aggressive, even when giving affection - it's aggressive affection, haha. Even if it has friendly intentions it's still a large creature with claws and teeth jumping all over you and following your every move. Unnerving to me.

The 'Married With Children' episode where they get a computer is on. Even though I know the episode is ancient, hearing a character brag about 7 megabytes of RAM is so weird now. Lmao.

Kiwong

I am runner too, and dogs are a damn trip hazard. Dogs off the leash have tried to bite me three times now.

I don't blame the dogs, I blame the irresponsible owners who keep their dogs off the leash, in public places.

"It won't bite you," they say. Mostly I am concerned about the small yappy dogs getting under my feet and tripping me.

The ones that have tried to bite me, I tell the owners to control their dog, with threats of reporting them to council and getting them sent to the pound.

Last edited:

MikeyC

Later this month I'll go with some friends to the WGT. It's a huge festival.
From those pictures and your description, this looks really awesome. I hope you have lots of fun listening to good music and camping out. :thumbup:

I understand your fright with dogs, as some have approached me and I don't know if they're going to munch on my fingers or lock on to my calves if I try to run. Every single time has been placid, though. At least the owner came up and got him away.

As a sidebar: the Newtown in Sydney is not tranquil and beautiful, so that is weird for me to read. :giggle:

Still doesn't have the visa yet, but soon after this visit. Thanks!
It's all falling into place, though! It's not easy being married and being so far away from each other, but you two have made it work in your own way, so for him to live in America is going to be awesome and I foresee a bright future for the both of you.

The 'Married With Children' episode where they get a computer is on. Even though I know the episode is ancient, hearing a character brag about 7 megabytes of RAM is so weird now. Lmao.
And in 10 years we'll look back at today's movies and go, "pfft, they only had iPhone 4's! Nothing compared to our iRetinaDisplay with Nervous System Uplinks!"

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
It seems obvious, but I will say it anyway. I find myself being a lot more "me-like" or, I don't want to say but in a state I like myself better when I have some sort of focus or goal and set limits that I stick to in order to accomplish them. I had to write a paper today and instead of distracting myself all day I decided no real distractions and to give it my full attention, or momentarily step away from it. I felt better and more coherent writing it, and in general my thoughts were more in the moment and didn't go to regular trains of thinking that I always fall into in my free time, which is also a good tool to have in my belt. Yes.

Also, fun fact, the highest recorded temperature in Hawaii is the same as in Alaska. Who knew? :idontknow:

coyote

It seems obvious, but I will say it anyway. I find myself being a lot more "me-like" or, I don't want to say but in a state I like myself better when I have some sort of focus or goal and set limits that I stick to in order to accomplish them. I had to write a paper today and instead of distracting myself all day I decided no real distractions and to give it my full attention, or momentarily step away from it. I felt better and more coherent writing it, and in general my thoughts were more in the moment and didn't go to regular trains of thinking that I always fall into in my free time, which is also a good tool to have in my belt. Yes.

Also, fun fact, the highest recorded temperature in Hawaii is the same as in Alaska. Who knew? :idontknow:

i find it becomes cyclical

the better you feel about yourself, the more productive and/or interactive with the world you become

which makes you feel better about yourself

which allows you to become more productive/interactive with the world,

which makes you feel better about yourself....

etc...

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
i find it becomes cyclical

the better you feel about yourself, the more productive and/or interactive with the world you become

which makes you feel better about yourself

which allows you to become more productive/interactive with the world,

which makes you feel better about yourself....

etc...

Yes, that sounds right. And when you get the momentum going, it keeps going and going good. It's just when you fall out of the cycle when it becomes hard again, a circle has no end, but also no beginning. I'll just try to stay in the cycle and not have to worry about that! I of course will still worry about it because I am a worrier though

coyote

Yes, that sounds right. And when you get the momentum going, it keeps going and going good. It's just when you fall out of the cycle when it becomes hard again, a circle has no end, but also no beginning. I'll just try to stay in the cycle and not have to worry about that! I of course will still worry about it because I am a worrier though

very well put :thumbup:

i am much the same way