Online-Long Distance Relationships

MikeyC

I don't want to date anybody long-distance, although I've wanted to break that rule. I just think it's too impossible for me, especially living in an isolated country.

I'm not against it, as it's obviously worked for others.

satstrn

Doesnt work. At all. It ends up being nothing more than a fantasy. Find someone in the real world.

dottie

been there, done that. won't do it again. don't recommend it. don't waste your time deluding yourself. go find a real and fulfilling relationship.

MikeyC

been there, done that. won't do it again. don't recommend it. don't waste your time deluding yourself. go find a real and fulfilling relationship.
You had a bad result from long-distance relations in the past, but it can work for others. Pookah is one example.

THeCARS1979

I work for an airline , a little more realistic for me, although its still hard being how I am, I' ll find it somewhat difficult to maintain it.
Steve

Roman Legion

I think for the average person this will never work out and only pain and sorrrow will be found down that path. Best of luck if you do try it.

Flanscho

Long-term AND long-distance will nearly never work out in my opinion.

Like, if you already have the relationship for a long-time, why is none of the two persons committed enough to move? The love can't be that deep then.

Also, the other person will never be there when you need him/her, same as the other way round. And you will idealize those parts of the other partner that you barely know because of you seeing him/her so rarely, and thus keep a relationship alive for a much longer time, than if you'd live next to each other.

I personally wouldn't call something a serious relationship anyway, unless you've met a couple of times already.

gazelle

While I don't see anything wrong with getting to know someone online in first place, I personally think that a long distance relationship would be more agonizing than anything else. Both parties would probably loose more energy yearning for some quality physical time rather than actually having it available and getting recharged.
Furthermore, I'm not sure how other cultures might have it, but at least in my vicinity there's some sort of stigma related with getting to know someone from an online dating site or so and since I'm personally not that strong to be completely impervious to other people's opinion, I'd probably find that as another problem related to an online relationship. But then again this is completely relative and depends on how the people in the person's environment perceive it.

Last edited:
U

user deleted

It doesn't work. Even with regular visits it's not a replacement for a real relationship.

bcsr

While there are always exceptions, I don't think it generally works out. I'd be hard-pressed to "date" someone I couldn't be in physical contact with on a regular basis.

If I met someone online that I really felt connected with, well, one of us would have to move relatively quickly, or I wouldn't be able to maintain it. Long-term and long-distance would be torture.

Section_31

CAN it work?. yes.

Does it work out very often?. no.

Been in several. I wuoldnt do so again. If the person is like 3 hours away or somthing in another city thats different, thats a maybe. But another country?. no.

laure15

It takes someone very special to make me want to commit to an online long-distance relationship. There will have to be an unworldly bond between us that pulls our hearts together, no matter where we are.

Otherwise, I wouldn't even consider such relationships.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I'm in a long distance relationship right now, and I wouldn't recommend to get into one with someone not totally worth it, or without meeting in the flesh at least sometime and having some sort of long term plan. You can't really date "casually" long distance, it's an all or nothing sort of deal, and you have to be willing to make that commitment.

And yes, it is hard not having that person you want to spend all your time with hundreds or thousands of miles away. That being said our time together is that much more special because of it.

I really wouldn't recommend going into one without some sort of plan of who could move when, looking to the future should be done in every relationship but especially long distance ones. Firstly if you're just seeking out a new person you haven't met to date I would highly recommend looking near you first (just one more obstacle to avoid) but if it just so happens you fall for someone clear across the country, don't chop it up just becasue of the distance but at the same time see if it has an real chance of becoming a short distance relationship. For me, if it were not for both of us in school right now one of us would have moved to the other by now, or in the near future. That's temporary though and will only keep us apart for x amount of months. I mean if you both are stable in your living situation and neither wants to get up and leave everything behind, then there's an issue.

It does work for a lot of people, there are a good number of relationships that start online which more than a few are long distance I bet. Also there are people who go away for school or work, I know a lot of high school sweethearts break-up after a few months away but they're young and stupid to begin with ::p: And there's a lot of people whose spouses or partners are in the military which takes them away for long periods of time and those work out quite a bit. My Brother's girlfriend is actually in the Airforce so he's in a long distance relationship too, and last I heard even after spending literally every day together being apart hasn't put a strain on it.

In summary, it sucks but some people are worth waiting for.

Pookah

You had a bad result from long-distance relations in the past, but it can work for others. Pookah is one example.
^_^

I married my online long distance relationship. You can go from friend to romantic relationship to meeting and to moving. We are currently in the process of getting a visa so its legal for my husband to come live in my country.

Last edited:

aNOTfox

I used to think this was a stupid idea. Then my sister met a guy from Memphis online and they've had a serious relationship for a few years now. So I guess it can work out :)

JackOfSpades

I know at least one couple that married after a years long online relationship. And a few others that were together seriously.

Lea

Banned
It´s not because it´s online, it´s because most people are crap. But it´s the same as in real life.