online dating

Status
Not open for further replies.

maybmental2

I've tried several and have had no luck, I always feel like it's a computer doing an automatic responce just to get me to give them more money. And yes I've gone through reputable sites and even the get laid tonight sites and nothing, You know if I wsn't already depressed it would depress me LOL! So I guess I don't have any answers to your query sorry but maybe someone could give me some tips, And I thnk I'm a pretty good looking guyand I don't smell or anything don't know oh well I'll just keep trying :/

Felgen

They're all "get laid sites". ;) If you're into finding a girl on the internet, try an open web community rather than a dating site.

No matter how good-looking you are, your picture has to show of your most attractive physical features.

katsell

I have met plenty of men and woman over the internet. I am currently in a long term relationship of 5 yrs with a woman I met on Myspace. Of course back then I had to have a few drinks to loosen up before and during meeting these people. My partner is a recovering alcholic and made that clear when we started talking online. It took some time for me to be able to be comfortable around her without being 10 foot tall and bullit proof..lol..but she hung in there and so did I.
I like being able to get to know others online. My advice is to start talking with them in places like this or FaceBook and all the other blogging type places. Get to know them as well as you can before you meet. I also suggest that you let them know that you have SA and if they give a damn about you they will research it to understand better what you are going through. We all have something that we fear.

KiaKaha

Banned
The only thing I like about internet dating is the fact that you can find out so much about another person...in some ways its easier to get to know someone because there is less risk...and less accountability. I mean, even on a forum like this you can discover so much about someone and whether or not you will like them.... people tend to feel safer revealing information about themselves. If you get rejected online, it doesnt quite sting as much as it would do in the real world.

On the flipside though, it does irk me a little... I mean there are so many profiles so many different opportunities laid out to you like a platter....everyone is vying for attention, and people will judge very quickly with the information you provide about yourself...I mean, you can even filter who it is you are looking for. it also brings out the worst in people, they think that just because they are hiding behind a computer that its OK to harrass, stalk and verbally abuse a person that isnt interested in them.

I think internet dating can work, provided people use a bit of common sense... really its just another medium to meet someone new. I like it because I get an opportunity to speak to someone and show them what kind of person I am. It is a shame that so many people spoil it and ruin it for genuine people.

I sometimes wonder.... why its so difficult to meet people in the real world...yet its so easy online. I mean, if we behaved the same way as we did online in the real world...would its be just as socially acceptable? or would it socially unacceptable? and if it is unacceptable...then why?

/rant

Last edited:

Aletheia

I mean, even on a forum like this you can discover so much about someone and whether or not you will like them.... people tend to feel safer revealing information about themselves.

I think you find out all sorts of things about a person through how they present themselves online, or even in other written media, things you'd never find out talking to them face to face.

I think it's just the nature of the medium. People have the space and time to expand on their subject, go into detail that would be ridden over by conversation.

(Conversely, of course, there are things you'd only ever find out by actually talking to them.)

MikeyC

I think you find out all sorts of things about a person through how they present themselves online
Exactly. If I wrote, "hey, Aletheia. How are you going?" or, "heyyyy bby grrl wat u up 2 2nyt????(;," you would get a fair idea of what I'm like.

talisman

At times it desn't bother me so much, but then when I get into it more and my desire ges up, at times it just makes me feel worse. Browsing though so many profiles knowing that they're not interested in you haha. (Andyes Ive tried messaging lots of times, Im not just saying that)

On one that I have been on for "ages", it tells you when people alter their profie info, and it showed that one had said under where in the profile it says "You should messae me if", to which under it you write your answer, and they'd put "If you've never gone had to see a therapist". And that just.......I can't find the words to explain how that annoys/makes me feel bad hah.

If anyone relates to this I'd like to hear from you. Its bothering me abit today! hah.

I knoe exactly what you mean. I get put off by most of these profiles. The girlsare either very confident and I can't imagine them taking the slightest interest in me, or they post rude, insulting, prudish things in their profiles that just make me close the tab and move on to the next profile. It's a real struggle to find girls I want to message...and then of course they never respond.

I think I'd rather be single than spend time with these women as described by their profiles. However I suspect a lot say things they don't really mean. I've found on okCupid that I've changed a lot of my answers to match questions over the years and been somewhat surprised by some of my previous responses to those questions, so I guess its easy to say things in a profile you wouldn't say irl.

Not sure you can rely much on the profile tbh. Some people have said just ignore the profile text and only look at the photos. Not sure I can do that though.

I guess the frustrating thing sometimes, is knowing that you're not an idiot like so many on there, that you would treat girls nicley, and are honest and just want to experience intimacy, but yet feel invisible in that way that, if no one else knows this, it is baically just you who know it.

So true. I don't think dating sites are good for our self-esteem. As some others have asid forums and communities like this are better for meeting people, though I've not had much luck on forums making new friends over the last few years. (I find most people too young now. Getting older on the net is crap too. The average age remains lower whilst you grow older. lol). Still forums and good chat rooms have to be a better alternative.

That's insane. Only 3% of women who look at my profile are interested enough to message me? Does anybody else have a similar percentage to this? Is it normal for 97% of the people viewing your profile of the opposite sex to look at your profile and not message you?

I never look at viewing figures as their totally meaningless. I only message a tiny fraction of the profiles I view, so I assume everyone else does the same. However if your getting several messages per year your doing better than I've ever done. I too think 3% is above average.

Basically as a guy you will have a ton of rejection, and as a girl you will be sexually harassed.

Pretty much sums it all up.

MikeyC

I tried this earlier in the year and just felt that everything was a little fake and forced.

Young man, I cannot enjoy this glass of wine you have kindly bought for me whilst I sit at this table knowing that you're judging me, and I'm judging you.

Oh, your phone is ringing? Oh, you're needed at home?

Okay young man. I'll be seeing you soon then...
Maybe.
This sounds like the worst date ever. D:

Hemosapien

I wish we could set up a dating site just for people with SA. That way, we'd never have to explain why we are the way we are. It gets so frustrating when you are getting on with someone online and they want to meet you in person, yet you don't feel ready. You try to explain, but they don't care, or lose interest. I've lost so many chances of relationships through this. I'm losing all faith that I will ever find someone who understands, ever again :(

OceanMist

Well, I'm going to take new pictures of myself so I can improve my fuzzy picture on there that I have now. I doubt the picture is turning women off of talking to me, but it's worth the experiment to see if I actually get more messages with a clearer picture.

I may be more confident in trying to message women too, if I have a better picture. I've got to figure the picture thing out though. I have to use jpg or whatever it is. Computer scanning is complicated to me.

I still am baffled by how many women look at my profile and never say anything to me. Yes, I get the whole gender role thing, but the percentage of women that never message me after viewing my profile is still substantially high.

It really sucks being a shy guy. I mean, it really sucks. I'm expected to make the first move when over 90% of the time, I'm a shyer person than them.

Last edited:

bardock

I know two people, who now live together who met through a pokemon Online game. It's crazy. But it does work if you really want it to.

Last edited:

Aletheia

Young man, I cannot enjoy this glass of wine you have kindly bought for me whilst I sit at this table knowing that you're judging me, and I'm judging you.

This is what I mean about too much pressure.

It makes you feel like merchandise.

It's unnatural and not very much fun.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
*laughs*

But it's true.

Why do guys do this?? :confused:
I suspect it's a matter of ignorance of gender differences. Few guys would be offended by nudies from a girl, total stranger or not. More likely the reaction would be along the lines of 'woohoo!', especially if getting laid is their only real goal. So they expect (or at least hope for) a girl to react the same way they would.

KiaKaha

Banned
*laughs*

But it's true.

Why do guys do this?? :confused:

I have always been dumbfounded that some guys actually think that by showing an explicit photo of their man parts would attract a woman. I think one of the reasons they do it is because they CAN do it.. and they can get away with it.

Aletheia

^ Virtual flashers?

But I think Nate might have a point. It's not necessarily malicious, it's just clueless: they don't understand female sexuality.

(I wonder if it ever works?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.