Most ridiculous times to be anxious?

sahxox

I was a cashier or a server in the deli at Coles for years.. having to serve people really quickly when it was busy was a huggggggge anxiety issue for me.

I'm a cashier now at KFC and I get pretty anxious when there's a time limit/massive line, but I think that maybe less to do with social phobia. But then the ridiculously high standards imposed by ourselves could add to this.

Odo

Banned
I get super nervous when people offer me free samples in supermarkets (or elsewhere). They're always super excited that they're giving something away for free and it's like no one is supposed to say no, so I feel like it's a giveaway that I have issues when I say no. I think because of the obvious dread on my face when I do. The worst part is that I actually do want the free sample I'm just afraid of taking it.

sahxox

I get super nervous when people offer me free samples in supermarkets (or elsewhere). They're always super excited that they're giving something away for free and it's like no one is supposed to say no, so I feel like it's a giveaway that I have issues when I say no. I think because of the obvious dread on my face when I do. The worst part is that I actually do want the free sample I'm just afraid of taking it.

Fml same here. I feel like a pig if I take it and can get a bit awkward. :/

theoutsider

I was at the checkout counter at my local grocery store one Sunday. I wanted the Sunday paper which they always have stacked up behind the cashier for some reason. I asked her to include a newspaper in my sell. Thinking she didn't hear me, I asked her again. This made her irritated because it turns out she heard me the first time (she is usually a very friendly, outgoing person). As I was on my way home, I realized I didn't get the sale price of one of my other items. I went back to customer service and they corrected it. Since then, I can never get myself to go back to that cashier. Even if the other lines are long and hers has no customers, I will go to the other line as I'm certain she remembers the now infamous (in my mind) newspaper incident from 3 years ago. I irrationally feel that she hates me, laughs at me with her co-workers after I have left and will overcharge me every chance she gets.

paperie

-I hate ordering food, I feel like they can never hear me or I get flustered and forget what I'm trying to get.
-Walking on a busy street, and feeling like everyone is staring at me as they are driving by.

Froggy246

It got worse today as they asked why I'm never downstairs or hang out with them. Makes me want to hoard food in my room though. We don't have a lounge room so makes it hard, they are always in kitchen. And they smoke in there which I detest.

Oh man that's not what you want to hear, well speaking for myself anyway, that sort of comment tends to play on my mind in a bad way, even though people usually mean that they would just like to get to know you. At the end of the day though you are paying money to live in the house so you can do what you dam well want! I have looked at house shares again because of the money savings, but after viewing places I've just thought no way can I do that again, feeling trapped in my bedroom all the time, I know it's expensive to live on your own in London though. Maybe you need to find a better set up, one where the people are not there a lot or more like minded quieter types who smoke outside, I would try to share with Christians if I had to live with house mates, for some reason I feel less nervy around religious types, perhaps because I imagine they are more forgiving and not so judgmental.

coyote

when you're in bed with a woman that you care about, and things have finally progressed to the point where you want to be at your very best...

Slytherin88

Oh man that's not what you want to hear, well speaking for myself anyway, that sort of comment tends to play on my mind in a bad way, even though people usually mean that they would just like to get to know you. At the end of the day though you are paying money to live in the house so you can do what you dam well want! I have looked at house shares again because of the money savings, but after viewing places I've just thought no way can I do that again, feeling trapped in my bedroom all the time, I know it's expensive to live on your own in London though. Maybe you need to find a better set up, one where the people are not there a lot or more like minded quieter types who smoke outside, I would try to share with Christians if I had to live with house mates, for some reason I feel less nervy around religious types, perhaps because I imagine they are more forgiving and not so judgmental.

Problem is two are 4 years younger than me and in uni and the other is older and we are all just different. It's my issue, they are nice people, we just don't have much in common. And I do have meals and such with them sometimes but not every night. I start a new job in sept so will look for accom closer to that after Xmas perhaps. And with a more like minded person. And I couldn't share with Christians. Far too atheist for that!

Froggy246

Problem is two are 4 years younger than me and in uni and the other is older and we are all just different. It's my issue, they are nice people, we just don't have much in common. And I do have meals and such with them sometimes but not every night. I start a new job in sept so will look for accom closer to that after Xmas perhaps. And with a more like minded person. And I couldn't share with Christians. Far too atheist for that!

Fair enough, yea it helps when you at least have stuff in common. If you have meals with them now and then you've done your time for the week I say! You've more than earned the right to go and get a snack with no more than a smile.

springk

Anxiety is what i have filled inside me. Like right now i have to ask some questions / gather information from neighbors. Now i do not want to go to their house but there is no other way..and what is the worst part i am thinking about it from the morning and now that the time has come to meet them i am ANXIOUS.

TreeofKnowledge

I studied abroad in Germany for about half a year (which took a lot of courage but ended up making my anxiety worse...oh well) and at one point I was anxious about being seen taking out the trash. So I just let it pile up until: A) I was sick of the fruit flies it attracted and, B) I finally saw someone else taking out their trash so that I could be sure it was "acceptable". It was just plain stupid.

One thing I did like about being in Germany, however, was that there was no expectation that you have to make eye contact or smile at strangers. Figuring out when to smile or whether it's okay to stare blankly in another direction is the worst. If I can I usually just pull out my phone and pretend I'm texting.

Kiwong

My car is going to explode when I drive it into the garage.

That my life is some sort of cosmic play like the Trueman show.

That I didn't pass my university degree and will have to go back back. That is a recurring nightmare in which I have no idea of the timetable to be able to attend lecture. Uni for me was 23 years ago.

Kiwong

That is an actual disorder/mental illness people are diagnosed with. Quite interesting, the Truman syndrome or something.

That's interesting people believing they are trapped in a reality TV show. Actually I have had this delusion for most of my life, long pre-dating the Truman show, not to any deep level. Its just the uneasy feeling that I am some sort of guinea pig, and everyone around me are actors in some sort of elaborate cosmic play