Is it harder for girls to go unnoticed?

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
About the topic, the thing with girls is that it seems it is taken for granted that their appearance is to be judged. Not as much for guys. Sometimes it gets very annoying.

Example: I was sitting alone in a park and some dude twice my age went to talk to me and started to tell me how he likes girls with some fat and that I should really start eating more because I'm too skinny. So... I should start fattening myself up in order to be more attractive to some stranger bugging me in the park? Sure, that makes sense.

Of course this guy was a **** but it illustrates that it also seems taken for granted that girls should do what they can to be pretty. For that reason I think it's true that it's more difficult, generally speaking, for girls to go unnoticed. However there is advantage and disadvantage in both gender, so I don't think it's of any use to dwell on these kind of things that are completely out of our control.

jaim38

I think it's harder for girls to go unnoticed. People like to look at girls and compare who's the prettiest. Girls also judge each other a lot. Girls check out each other's appearance and make comments related to fashion sense. Guys have it much easier. When guys sit alone, people don't care, but when a girl such as I sit alone, people make comments like "she doesn't have any friends", which really annoys me because why can't a girl sit alone and eat peacefully, huh?

FriendlyShadow

I think it's harder for girls to go unnoticed. People like to look at girls and compare who's the prettiest. Girls also judge each other a lot. Girls check out each other's appearance and make comments related to fashion sense. Guys have it much easier. When guys sit alone, people don't care, but when a girl such as I sit alone, people make comments like "she doesn't have any friends", which really annoys me because why can't a girl sit alone and eat peacefully, huh?

I hate when a girl sits alone, people have to come up and ask "Why are you sitting alone by yourself?," or something like that to make you feel bad. What's wrong with sitting alone. Why is it always implied that you being by yourself means that you're "lonely" or it means that you're some sort of "loser" no one wants to hang out with. Why don't they just leave them alone and go on with their business?

Odo

Banned
Well, traditionally women are objectified and as a result are expected to look nice and attract men, whereas men are expected to be the earners and providers so things like success and money are more important than how they look.

But I think we're sort of past that now and a lot of women objectify men just as much as men objectify women.

These 'battle of the sexes' threads are always a magnet for generalizations that never fully connect with reality. It's probably best not to assume there is any one reason for people looking at other people.

And sitting alone applies to both genders-- whether or not the 'friendless' assumption applies is usually a question of what that person looks like, how they carry themselves, their hygiene, clothing, etc.

Last edited:

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Well, traditionally women are objectified and as a result are expected to look nice and attract men, whereas men are expected to be the earners and providers so things like success and money are more important than how they look.
I'm not convinced it's just tradition.

In many species, one gender is basically assigned by nature to be the one judged by how 'pretty' it is. Usually the male.

1815347.png

Male_and_female_pheasant.jpg

In humans it seems to be the female, if not as drastically. I'm not convinced that it's just cultural that women are judged by their appearance by both men and women than men are (on the whole). Darwin had a few things to say on the subject. Scroll down to 'sexual selection in man'. Charles Darwin & Evolution A few other people have knocked the idea around as well.

But I think we're sort of past that now and a lot of women objectify men just as much as men objectify women.
Sort of. Not all that much.

If you look at the covers of women's magazines it's all women you see on the covers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cos...TpoAT81YGABQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=646

On the covers of men's magazines, it's mostly men but there are a whole lot of women. Mostly women showing off their bodies.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gq+...WhogSWgoGgCA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=646

To me this says that people still care more about what women look like than what men look like. Formal wear is another example. Very little variation for men. Women? Different story. What dress some woman wore to some ceremony is actually considered newsworthy.

These 'battle of the sexes' threads are always a magnet for generalizations that never fully connect with reality. It's probably best not to assume there is any one reason for people looking at other people.

And sitting alone applies to both genders-- whether or not the 'friendless' assumption applies is usually a question of what that person looks like, how they carry themselves, their hygiene, clothing, etc.
I agree with this entirely.

I suspect that women of prime reproductive age are and will continue to be noticed more than men, and by both genders. I have no real proof of this and my notions may be wrong.

As noted earlier, if this indeed the case there's nothing that can be done about it anyway, and it definitely doesn't mean that life in general is harder for one gender than the other.