Has anyone been called stupid for being quite?

jaim38

Yes! This used to happen at school. One time in CS class, there were several guys who were talking negatively about me. Instead of confronting them, I just ignored them and minded my own business. So one of the guys sitting near me who saw everything called me "stupid" out loud to his friends, which only made people gossip even more about me. But there's not much I can do because I don't have any friends in that class.

GhastlyCC

People tend to think I'm some sort of jerk for being quit and don't sharing their enthusiasm for conversations.
Whenever I go somewhere with my friend and meet people he knows.
He usually tells me a few days later that those people talked about me after I left and said things like "What the **** was that guy's problem?" and "Your friend's kind of an *******"
But he's also the type of person that likes to make up **** and talk alot of crap.
So I don't know if I should believe him entirely.
But I can't help it and it makes me even more nervous to go around people.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
People tend to think I'm some sort of jerk for being quit and don't sharing their enthusiasm for conversations.
Whenever I go somewhere with my friend and meet people he knows.
He usually tells me a few days later that those people talked about me after I left and said things like "What the **** was that guy's problem?" and "Your friend's kind of an *******"
But he's also the type of person that likes to make up **** and talk alot of crap.
So I don't know if I should believe him entirely.
But I can't help it and it makes me even more nervous to go around people.

Yeah, I get this too. It doesn't help that ah just make people uncomfortable during awkward silences. If that wasnae bad enough, my sarcastic, deadpan "Ha! Aye, very funny..." response to really bad, unfunny jokes makes me seem like a total prick! Kinda kills the mood, doesn't it?

No, but it's been assumed that I am a pushover before because I am quiet.

Aye, me too. Though, people still assume I'm a pushover.

NamiraWilhelm

Yes, not just because of the obvious; but when there's a discussion or you're asked for your opinion on something, if you're as nervous as me you end up just smiling and saying I don't know to get the attention off you. It makes you look vacuous.

OceanMist

Multiple times. I've had people think I'm literally retarded.

My advice is try to stop caring what other people think of you. It's tough, but I've gotten better at it.

A couple years ago I finally realized how silly it was that I was worried about some person that didn't even know me calling me dumb.

There is a huge sense of freedom when you just stop caring what other people think.

As someone told me before, even if I am dumb, so what? Doesn't mean I can't enjoy life.

Last edited:

akala

not stupid but stuck-up, I'm actually really nice so I'm just quiet not stuck up that makes me angry... and kinda upset

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
"It is better to say nothing and appear stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

I can't think of a time anyone ever explicitly told me they thought so, but I've been treated like a mentally challenged person before because of it. I am extremely quiet so it's not like they're way out in left field or anything either. I usually don't think intelligence is one of the things people notice about me in general, but I don't really know I'd have to ask someone.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Alleigha♥;731017 said:
I've been called a mute before. lol

Me too, and also frequently when being introduced (usually by my dad) to someone they will add that I "never talk," the basic definition of mute.