Great, someone implied that I will never get married!

Dark angel

I mean, really. The other day I had a surprise birthday party with which I wasn't very happy about. The woman who made the indirect comment is an acquaintance of my family because she is the mother of one of my brother's friends. My mom usually does not invite her to stuff we do over here but because she is usually by herself in her house my mom told her to come over. This happened a week ago or so and I wasn't aware of the fact she said that. But yesterday my mom and I were chatting and her name came up. Mom decided to tell me that this lady started asking questions about me. She asked if I already graduated college, if I have a job, and then she asked my mom if I had a boyfriend. Now, those close to me know, that I've never being in a relationship.(not by own choices though, I just think I'm not attractive enough) Mom hesitated to tell me her comment but what this lady basically said was: "Hmmm I think she will never..." and made a face gesture. My mom got so angry but contained herself, didn't let her finish and she told her that she didn't mind If I didn't find the right person. That all she cared was of me being a good daughter and achieving my future goals and plans instead of dating the young guys of today with no good intentions and that she loved the fact of having me here.( I still live with her)When mom said this to me I was quite shocked. Not entirely because of the comment but because the nerve this lady had of saying that to my mom. I mean, yes I've contemplated the idea that probably I'll never get married, have kids or any of those and I've being trying my whole life to accept it as it may come. But then, this person comes and says out loud one of my biggest fears and insecurities. I felt so bad afterwards and try to hold up the tears that were building up but I didn't want to say anything to my mom to not scare her or worry her. Mostly I didn't felt bad only for myself but because of my mom. I don't want to feel bad or feel like she needs to take care of me and overprotect me from others and I could tell she was quite sad and worried for my reaction. I haven't being able to stop thinking about it.
Fine, I really don't want to make getting married and having children a priority because I am definitely not ready for kids. But I'm in my mid 20's, what if I wind up all alone? The only people I have around and I can count on is my brother and my mom and she isn't getting younger.
Oh and to top things up, the same day of the party a group of friends also asked the same damn question! Ugh! One of the girls said: "Oh, and do you have a boyfriend?" I replied the same old answer I give every damn year and all the others went: "really? you don't?" And then the girl that made the question went all captain obvious and said "Oh, but in all the years I've known you, you have NEVER( she really emphasized the word never) had a boyfriend" And all I answered was that she was right. I had to explain because their damn curiosity didn't stop there. So I simply said, that no one has ever came or shown interest in me( Just once, a long time ago and the ones that later said anything to me, I didn't feel anything for them except endearment).

I don't really get it. Who the hell invented or made it a damn law or requirement that you NEED to be married or in a couple to be able to survive or coexist in this world!?! Who? Because I didn't get the memo. Really, people need to get used to the fact that not everyone is as lucky to find that other half, or has the desire to start a family. We are not damn clones of one another.:kickingmyself:

jaim38

I agree, people need to be more open-minded. And never say never because aside from God, no one knows what might happen in the future.

Like you, I also don't care about marriage, relationship, or having kids. But people like us don't have to die alone. One of my dreams is to live in a forest (or an estate) in a house with a bunch of like-minded friends.

Nutbar

I believe that there is someone out there for everyone. If you stay single all your life, that's fine too. I thought I would never be in a relationship. I was 30 when I had my first relationship. Don't waste your time thinking about cruel people like that woman.

awkwardamanda

1) I would be fuming if someone ever threw me a surprise party.

2) I would have called the bitch up and reamed her out for her rude and insensitive comment.

3) The other girls who were making a big deal of it would have been yelled at and sent home.

People suck.:bat:

Last edited:

springk

Hey dark angel
Yeah its annoying when people who dont care about you make future predictions about you.
I dont know if there is such thing as each one is destined to meet his/her beloved ..whatever.

The world is not a fairy tale and not every girl is lucky to have a man who understands her and loves her.
Many dont find love..and there is no guarantee of a happy married life.
So why everyone expects that a woman should get married and have children.

Nothing is wrong with you..its the ignorant people around you who have the wrong ideas. Dont worry about what that woman said.*hugs*

Kiwong

My father said I would marry late and well. But that's not going to happen. I like my independence too much.

coyote

people who judge, categorize, and place limits on others are insecure of themselves

people who accept others as they are and allow them be however they want are confident in who they are

whatever they said about you only reflects on them

Lou-s-Darkness

Don't let that get to you. I know what it's like. I get judged by my parent's friends and distant relatives. They talk about how I shouldn't be doing this and that and how I should look and talk and behave. Who the hell ever invited these people into my life? Uh, no one, last time I checked. And I'm also the same, I don't think I'll ever get married I just don't think guys would be into me,, seeing as how I am different than most girls out there who are extroverted. And my mom keeps saying that I'll never find a man if I act the way I act...not that there's really anything wrong with me. I don't think I'll get married, although I would like to, and I think I'll make an unfit mother because of my issues...don't want them to grow up with a mother they could be ashamed of.

My point is, it's ok if you're not with someone and you don't want to. I'm trying to accept the fact that being alone is better.

Cheer up :( I know it sucks... >_<

SilentBird

I just don't think guys would be into me,, seeing as how I am different than most girls out there who are extroverted. And my mom keeps saying that I'll never find a man if I act the way I act...not that there's really anything wrong with me.

You are right, there isn't anything wrong with you. I think a lot of guys would like you because you are not like most girls.

Lou-s-Darkness

@SilentBird

Thank you. It wasn't easy to accept at first, but I'm glad I'm different in a way. I think more people or girls in this case should be proud of their individuality. Don't get me wrong I still have my insecurities, but if I would end up with a man he would have to like me for who I am before all else.

nicole1

Don't accept it. I'm no prize and I've dated and contemplated marrying someone for the wrong reasons at 18. You're a prize as you have goals. Meeting people is not only hard for us with SA/SP but for a lot of people today. It may not be the way that you think it should, but you will find someone when you're ready.

Lost Girl

Focusing your energy on what someone else thinks of you is a waste. As for "Who the hell invented or made it a damn law or requirement that you NEED to be married or in a couple to be able to survive or coexist in this world!?!" No one did. Live your life, enjoy. <3

theoutsider

People can be very insensitive toward single folks. By the time I got married, I had passed the point to where I thought it would happen. Believe me, I can't count the number of times some married person or couple would say to me, "Why don't you get married?" As if I could just, at any moment, grab somebody and convince her to marry me. And it doesn't stop there. The minute I actually got married, the question changed to, "Why don't the two of you have some kids?" Sometimes they meant well but these types of questions can be invasive and rude. Suppose the couple isn't capable of having kids and it's very painful for them? Imagine the hurt they would go through every time somebody brought up the kids question.

The biggest thing that strikes me about your family's friend is that she is alone, herself. That probably says something about what kind of person she is. I'm willing to bet she's the type who says rude things often which is why nobody wants to be around her for long.

SierraSage

Yeah...that woman and the girls were all very rude. I wonder about the social skills of some people sometimes. That just wasn't called for. The thing to remember about stuff like this is that when someone says this, it's just a thought that person or group had in their heads. It was said because these people don't have the manners to avoid blurting out their every thought, not because it's true. There could be ten times that number of people who know you and are thinking the opposite about you...and those people are just not socially inept enough to run around announcing their every thought. I know how it feels though, to get that "you will never" message. It is hurtful, even when the person is just way off base.

hidwell

people who judge, categorize, and place limits on others are insecure of themselves

people who accept others as they are and allow them be however they want are confident in who they are

whatever they said about you only reflects on them

This is very true. :thumbup:

how are they supposed to know if you'll ever get married, find someone etc..I hate when people judge!, certainly because they didn't know you that well, that's shocking. I wouldn't let it get to you because those comments yes were hurtful but not true, they don't know anything.

heres an example
I am fat, I am not going to say otherwise that im chubby or overweight, I am fat end of. I had a rubbish time towards the end of school because people (even my friends) said i'd never make anything of myself, I am too fat and nobody would ever love me and i'd never get a boyfriend and I should just give up. I got extremely hurt by this, and i studided really hard and did really well in my exams and moved to a city and went to university and I am now nearly in my last year of uni and I have a boyfriend of two years and when I go back home I see all those people who shot me down, who were negative about me still hanging in the same group, still living in the same place and they have a rubbish job at a supermarket or shop, so yeah who is the one living the dream, I am in a long term relationship,moving in with my partner soon, I am succeeding in university, I live miles away from my home town and i'm happy....whos laughing now?! :)

well what i'm trying to say is don't let anyone tell you you can't do something, believe in yourself and it will all come, who are they to judge and make comment!?. put your mind to something and you can do whatever you want...