For Older Jaded Members Only!

Odo

Banned
I would have to agree that success often is the result of privilege-- it's not that those people don't work hard, it's just that they have had some pretty big lucky breaks along the way that they rarely seem to acknowledge.

Nobody becomes wealthy or successful on their own and usually a lot of other people have to fail in order for one person to be a success... that's just how the system is set up.

MollyBeGood

I understand Mol! I have a sore spot for stories of people who overcame horrible medical conditions to be successful and inspiring solely because they have an undying positive attitude.... Makes me want to hurl! I am in pain all the time and on top of it I have to feel guilty because I am not able to work or at least be an inspiration to others? Forget that. I HURT. I feel like I have the flu all the time. I ache every moment of every day and that is just baseline (it gets worse at times.) How can I be expected to be at the top of my game and cheerful all the time?
I am totally jaded, and I think it's understandable- or at least it should be. So many turned their backs on me when I got sick. When the fun stops and sh*t gets serious no one wants anything to do with you anymore, including my own mother. Yeah, it's not hard to imagine how my disorder developed. People seem to think there is something wrong with me, but in actuality, as the saying goes "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." If I open myself up for this type of hurt and rejection again wouldn't that just make me a fool? Seems like my reaction (social anxiety) is fully warranted, although unfortunate.
I won't let the disease or the anxiety ruin my life, but I will take joy from a different source now. I don't need a huge group of friends to enjoy the sunset, or an extended family circle to appreciate a warm breeze. I will give all of my love and energy to the few I have in my life who truly love and cherish me, and none to anyone who doesn't.

Yeah you find out who you're friends are when it really gets bad, and the ones who really love you not just say they do because you're family.

It's so great you have your own family now to be there for you, and very special I am sure to you. :)

MollyBeGood

^ :applause: :applause: If only more of us who have not had the support or luck that others have taken for granted spoke up and laid the facts on the table like you just did, maybe there would be more understanding.:thumbup:

Wow Thanks Bluedays!

MollyBeGood

Sometimes I think the reason I am "socially anxious" is b/c I am like Larry David from Curb and always do and say the wrong things. There's too many rules to talking to people it's exhausting...plus I dislike social things so much.

Sometimes I think the reason I am "socially anxious" is b/c I am like Larry David from Curb and always do and say the wrong things. There's too many rules to talking to people it's exhausting...plus I dislike social things so much.
^Yes!!
I distinctly remember some of the comments the last 2 really carefree people I have come across have said.
I was actually feeling jealous of how carefree their attitude was with when and what they said to people. Maybe I would not want to offend people quite to the level they did, but it was still interesting to see how "free" of worry they were. I guess the hard part is to find a middle ground, which in itself would be pretty subjective as well? :thinking:

Lavinialuna

I just plain hate the way most people make me feel. I feel half misunderstood and half intolerant of their stupidity ad lack of moral fiber. I shall never understand how someone (me) with such a low self esteem can be so self righteous :(
Seriously, I don't mean to be haughty, I am so easy to please (all it takes is a little gentle kindness and common decency) but so many are rude, cruel and snotty. I need to work on learning forgiveness and how to let go of bitterness. People say stupid things, I need to get over it, and I need to stop being equally as hard on myself.

MollyBeGood

^Yes!!
I distinctly remember some of the comments the last 2 really carefree people I have come across have said.
I was actually feeling jealous of how carefree their attitude was with when and what they said to people. Maybe I would not want to offend people quite to the level they did, but it was still interesting to see how "free" of worry they were. I guess the hard part is to find a middle ground, which in itself would be pretty subjective as well? :thinking:

LoL I think it's easy to be so carefree if you don't have to worry about a job-like LD is rich and he makes a total game out of the LA scene, showing how insane and stupid it is all the time, but he's also a millionaire. Talk about a great life!

dottie

I just plain hate the way most people make me feel. I feel half misunderstood and half intolerant of their stupidity ad lack of moral fiber. I shall never understand how someone (me) with such a low self esteem can be so self righteous :(
Seriously, I don't mean to be haughty, I am so easy to please (all it takes is a little gentle kindness and common decency) but so many are rude, cruel and snotty. I need to work on learning forgiveness and how to let go of bitterness. People say stupid things, I need to get over it, and I need to stop being equally as hard on myself.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

ARE YOU ME

onehandclapping

I am finding myself like that. not sure if it's age thing or I have always been like it.

for example, being polite and opening a door for someone and being treated with rudeness or disrespect. that can ruin my whole day! other people can seem to let go of it, doesn't seem to come that easy to me.

Xervello

Eh. I'm 43, and while I won't say Life is Great, it has gotten better. I'm better at dealing with my depression. I'm a better judge of character, which is important. My anxiety isn't as crippling as it used to be. I can at least fake being normal in most casual interactions now. I am in general less confused, less angry, and more comfortable with myself.

I've slammed my head against what I used to think was an infinitely solid wall many times and over the years I've worn it down enough to see cracks in it. Some go all the way through.

It's weird, I'm only one year younger than Nathe was when he posted that and I feel remarkably similar to how he described. Except for the life has gotten better part. My circumstances haven't but my perspective and attitude about them have, at least.

I don't know how many older members are left here, but it's a shame more haven't kept this thread going. I feel like it would be informative and perhaps even constructive for the young'ns as well as the old'ns.