For Older Jaded Members Only!

And then there is death, the ultimate precursor to being jaded. It's like you finally find someone to help you through it all, and then they are gone forever. Yeah, that is one thing that one can never get used to. It's too much for me. It's literally a very grave subject.
That would be very difficult to deal with, I have not had to go through losing someone I was close to....yet. I fear that may tip me over the edge. Only because I have no idea how some people can be ok with it and say in the end "life goes on".
How do you deal with losing someone close to you? I know you said that is "one thing you can neve get used to", but how do you cope with it? I mean is there a special method to help suffer through grief?

I have lost 7 people in the last 5 yrs. I know what you mean.
whoa, that is tragically sad.:sad: (((Hugs)))

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I LOVE George Carlin's 'religion is bulls*it' .The man said it better than anyone ever has.

I LOVE George Carlin's 'religion is bulls*it' .The man said it better than anyone ever has.
Yep.:thumbup: If only there were more people like him who are game enough to publically state the truth of things that most people are not brave enough to talk about. Sad he did not live longer.:sad:

Kiwong

-35 degrees! Crikey. I guess that's Farenheit too. This morning was 3.4 deg Celsius =37.4 F. I need to harden up our winters aren't all that cold at all.

Remus

Staff member
Why must old be a synonym of grump? :thinking:

Hey, you got ID mate?

bouncer-black-background.png

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Why must old be a synonym of grump?
Get off my lawn, you crazy kid! :veryangry: I mean thread. :question:

Yep.:thumbup: If only there were more people like him who are game enough to publically state the truth of things that most people are not brave enough to talk about. Sad he did not live longer.:sad:
I would say that here on SPW, it's braver to admit that you are religious. Remember that poll I made? The numbers are definitely weighted towards non-believers here.

In many other places it's braver to admit that you're not. The great majority of the population of the world is definitely religious. In most places of work in the U.S., and pretty much anywhere in politics, admitting you are not religious can be career suicide.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I would say that here on SPW, it's braver to admit that you are religious. Remember that poll I made? The numbers are definitely weighted towards non-believers here.

In many other places it's braver to admit that you're not. The great majority of the population of the world is definitely religious. In most places of work in the U.S., and pretty much anywhere in politics, admitting you are not religious can be career suicide.

To throw in a young'en's perspective on the issue, it looks like it is starting to flip. The church I went to growing up used to have three masses a week - one on Saturday night, and 2 on Sunday. I haven't been in six years, but since then they have downgraded to I think one mass a week, possibly one every other week or not at all (I would have to ask my mother). They have started compounded cherishes together with other churches, in order just to fill up the churches enough to make mass worth having (as well as because of less money due to less attendance, therefore less donations.) I don't have any studies or research to back it up, but at least in this area the catholic church is losing attendance at an alarming rate.

Earthcircle

That would be very difficult to deal with, I have not had to go through losing someone I was close to....yet. I fear that may tip me over the edge. Only because I have no idea how some people can be ok with it and say in the end "life goes on".
How do you deal with losing someone close to you? I know you said that is "one thing you can neve get used to", but how do you cope with it? I mean is there a special method to help suffer through grief?

One thing that really disturbs me is telling a psychotherapist about the death of a loved one, and then having the psychotherapist act like I'm a liar. That's really helpful.

MollyBeGood

To throw in a young'en's perspective on the issue, it looks like it is starting to flip. The church I went to growing up used to have three masses a week - one on Saturday night, and 2 on Sunday. I haven't been in six years, but since then they have downgraded to I think one mass a week, possibly one every other week or not at all (I would have to ask my mother). They have started compounded cherishes together with other churches, in order just to fill up the churches enough to make mass worth having (as well as because of less money due to less attendance, therefore less donations.) I don't have any studies or research to back it up, but at least in this area the catholic church is losing attendance at an alarming rate.

I think the catholic faith has lost a considerable amount of it's members and it probably has a lot to do with all of the priests who are molesting boys. I told this to my mom and she goes to a catholic church and she agreed. That really has put a serious stain on it's hold of people, as it should. She actually said they are actively looking for more nuns and promoting convents of women to help the issue, and help their PR.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Religiosity of all types has been declining in industrialized nations for some time.

Here, have some data: http://www.wingia.com/web/files/news/14/file/14.pdf

The great majority of the political power in America is still in the hands of people who are religious, however. Both in government and in the private sector in terms of ownership and management. This means anyone who doesn't see things more or less their way has to step lightly.

I do not mean to imply that abuse of power is particular to people who are religious. It is not. Human nature means that whomever (on the whole) is in the majority regarding something will give crap to whomever is in the minority; be it concerning religion, ethnicity, or anything else. Yay humanity!

Lavinialuna

A 42 year old does not need acne. Thanks humidity! Maybe I'd get carded if I tried to buy liquor? On second hand, it might do wonders for my ego!