Exercise Log

replica

Just read that you ran Jacobs (20th July)
Is this a regular thing?
How long did you stay there for and how many?

I only used Jacobs ladder on 2 occassions.
The first time I did 3 repeats of Mount Street and Jacobs ladder.
Second time I did 5 repeats of Mount Street and Jacobs ladder.
Each one were a killer! Don't know how I'd go just doing Jacobs only. There were times I was so exhausted I couldn't see the steps ahead of me and had to slow down or my calves started to burn and had trouble lifting my legs. Haha it's definitely a different kind of fitness. Love it though. I like to try make it a regular workout, maybe once a week or fortnight. I tend to go after work ie 5:30 pm during the weekdays so if you're around there that time we could meet up and you can show me how it's done :)

kc1980

Just took a one month break from cycling, I will start again tomorrow. My only exercise this month were a few friendly football games. I'm still making a bit of progress, although I can't expect much having never played before age 30.

bsebring

Exercise seems to be the best way I can maintain a healthy and happy lifestyle. The college I go to offers free gym memberships on campus. I haven't worked out in about 2 months therefore I'm starting off slow this week. My plan is to run 2 miles today and eat healthy. I had a vitamin and some blackberries this morning. Then I plan to eat shrimp, salad, and rice for dinner.

My plan is to eat fruit and take a vitamin in the morning. Then portion control my dinners. Also, I want to start avoiding campus junk food (fast food and vending machines ect.)

Workout wise, if I don't have time to go to the gym then I plan to do crunches, pushups, and stretches in-between studying. On the days I'm on campus all day and stressing over the workload, I'll meditate before I go to bed.

I won't exactly be training for a marathon anymore, but the plan is to maintain a balanced lifestyle instead of moving towards one extreme to another.

Last edited:

replica

I'm still around doing my thing. Exercise works so well for me I've made it part of my lifestyle. I've been doing various running workouts over the last few months and have made a huge difference to my overall pace - love it! I'd plateau'd for too long and now i've finally broke the chain. Triathlon season is coming up, going to start ramping up my training this summer :)

bsebring

10-15-11
-2 1/2 mile run today and 100 crunches...
-I've been eating more balanced meals on campus, but I do need to work on portion control.
-10k peace run in one week!
-glad to see your well replica :)

JamesSmith

I disappeared but have made my return. I've been training by walking lately. Still have the same injury.

Did a 4 mile walk yesterday. Hopefully I can keep this walking up and maybe it will heal my injury. Running a long way is too painful.

it's sad when one of my big dreams in life is to be able to run pain free. that's what my life has come to.

replica

I disappeared but have made my return. I've been training by walking lately. Still have the same injury.

Did a 4 mile walk yesterday. Hopefully I can keep this walking up and maybe it will heal my injury. Running a long way is too painful.

it's sad when one of my big dreams in life is to be able to run pain free. that's what my life has come to.

Get it checked out. I had a knee injury when I first started running then gave myself a year break. When I returned back to running the pain returned immediately. I bought new properly fitted shoes with orthotics and that didn't solve it. After researching online I found I had whats called ITB Sydrome caused by tight band across the outside of my thigh pulling across the knee. After doing massaging or 'foam rolling' I've been running pain free. It could be something simple like that. As you can see, taking it easy, walking or taking time off did not work for me. I can run half marathons without pain now (I haven't gone any further than this)

JamesSmith

Get it checked out. I had a knee injury when I first started running then gave myself a year break. When I returned back to running the pain returned immediately. I bought new properly fitted shoes with orthotics and that didn't solve it. After researching online I found I had whats called ITB Sydrome caused by tight band across the outside of my thigh pulling across the knee. After doing massaging or 'foam rolling' I've been running pain free. It could be something simple like that. As you can see, taking it easy, walking or taking time off did not work for me. I can run half marathons without pain now (I haven't gone any further than this)

Unfortunately I'm poor and have no insurance, so I can't afford to get it looked at by a professional.

My injury is a little different than yours is, it's located in the tendon that raises the toe. Like when you tap your foot and raise your toe up, it's the muscle that is right in the shin attached to ankle area.

What's crazy is that I've searched the internet for hours, and haven't really seen much that will help me. What sucks is that it's not a common injury. It's not just shin splints, it's a complete tear.

As for the massaging, I read that I'm not supposed to massage the muscle, because people aren't supposed to massage muscle tears.

JamesSmith

I did another 4 mile walk today. Pain was minimal. I am just hoping that this walking is building up the muscle.

replica

Unfortunately I'm poor and have no insurance, so I can't afford to get it looked at by a professional.

My injury is a little different than yours is, it's located in the tendon that raises the toe. Like when you tap your foot and raise your toe up, it's the muscle that is right in the shin attached to ankle area.

What's crazy is that I've searched the internet for hours, and haven't really seen much that will help me. What sucks is that it's not a common injury. It's not just shin splints, it's a complete tear.

As for the massaging, I read that I'm not supposed to massage the muscle, because people aren't supposed to massage muscle tears.

That sounds tough James. Hope you'll find a way to heal it. And you're right, massaging is not for muscle tears :(

Ellabella

Hi

I am also trying to exercise regulary a few times a week as I am feeling down and lacking motivation. I would like to keep a log here if that's okay as it might help keep me motivated.

Last week I did a yoga/pilates and also a pilates class - not as strenous as the exercises some people here are doing, but I am building up slowly!!

Good Luck everyone!

Ella

OceanMist

I ran a mile today and got a semi-sore throat. It's so cold here in Kansas.

I don't want to go the gym, but it looks like now I have to. I hate the gym.

kc1980

A new year, so time to get fit again after the Christmas holidays. Since September I had not been cycling so often anymore, only 2 to 3 times a month. But between Christmas and New year I started running again, which didn't go too badly. I ran 5-10 km a day, once 15 km with my dad. Then on Wednesday I missed my last train connection home. Then I decided to instead run the distance. It was raining quite hard, and on top of that after 200m I tripped over a tree trunk and fell flat on the pavement, bruising both my knees and hands. Still I managed to run the 6 km to the station, where I got a last train, which landed me about 20km from home at midnight. Then I ran that in about 2 hours, but since I was not really trained and I ran with just my normal leather shoes without shock absorbing soles, my legs are now mighty sore. I hope to be able to walk normally again by next week. Next time I will stay in a hotel. Anyway, for this year I will try to focus both on cycling and running, and even try to get a swim in once or twice, so I might finally end up getting into the triathlon thing this year.

Last edited:

replica

Way to go kc1980! That's alot of running, well done! You'll do well in endurance triathlons I think. Already doing long runs and rides :) Triathlons are good fun and a good way to keep you motivated.

I signed up for the big one this year. I'll be doing the full Ironman in Dec 2012. So I'll be heavily training for it as well as the half Ironman mid year.

SilverSky

The last 3 days I've ran about 1-2 miles and walked 2 miles. I lift light weights and stretch each day. Today I did extra lunges and tried out the elliptical. Trying to stick to working out every morning because it helps with my depressing moods, also taking vitamen B to help with energy. My biggest battle is just getting to the workout room because sometimes it's hard to even leave my bed in the morning. But this week has been a success!

replica

The last 3 days I've ran about 1-2 miles and walked 2 miles. I lift light weights and stretch each day. Today I did extra lunges and tried out the elliptical. Trying to stick to working out every morning because it helps with my depressing moods, also taking vitamen B to help with energy. My biggest battle is just getting to the workout room because sometimes it's hard to even leave my bed in the morning. But this week has been a success!

Good Job SilverSky! :)

OceanMist

Did push-ups: 3 sets of 30, 1 set of 22=112 push-ups
Sit-ups: 1 set of 32

Too cold to run today for me at least.