Does money make you happy.

sabbath

Banned
seems I usually have a big smile on my face on payday, so yes, money does make me happy

ZZ Top said:
I just got paid today,
got me a pocket full of change.
Said, I just got paid today,
If you believe like workin' hard all day,
just step in my shoes and take my pay.

I was born my papa's son,
when I hit the ground I was on the run.
I had one glad hand and the other behind.
You can have yours, just give me mine.
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night,
stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right.

I just got paid today,
Said, black sheep, black, do you got some wool?
Yes, I do, man, my bag is full.
It's the root of evil and you know the rest
but it's way ahead of what's second best.

LadyWench

In a way, yes. Right now, me and my family are seriously struggling. I don't have a job (I'm looking, but it seems like there are no available jobs in town right now. Not to mention my anxiety would probably kill me from having a job). My mom quit hers about a month ago, so we're basically depending on my boyfriend's McDonald's income (who lives with us). We have no food or anything. Our car broke down not long after my mom quit her job. So, now we have no transportation. Having no money means having a lot more depression.

Today my sister let us use her car to get around town. When we went back to her house to give the car back, her and her husband were eating lunch from Sonic. Then later she told us that they had breakfast at Denny's. I guess while they were eating Sonic, their daughter (my niece) was napping, so they didn't get her anything. But my sister said to her husband "when I take them home, do you want to take your truck into town and get Rhyan lunch from McDonald's or Aryby's or something?" I realize it isn't their problem we have no food or money or anything...but it just pissed me off. We're trying to survive, and they get to go out to eat for every meal.

My sister doesn't have a job either, and yet she still gets to f-cking live in luxury. But only because her husband supports her (they are separated).

Anyway, sorry this is so long and off-topic. I just needed to rant and since this thread is about money, I felt it'd be okay.

But to answer your question in short: yes, money does make me happy and usually less-stressed. I hate to admit it, though. It's a bitch.

Kieran

Well... sometimes I think it doesn't matter. We will always want something more. Sure, money might you happy because you can get most of the material things you want. But for most of us, it's the immaterial things we really desire... and no amount of money will change our situation in that area.

ravens410

Money can only make you more happy if you are already pretty happy, in most cases, I would say. In my case, money would mean almost nothing because my problems can't be solved by money. Money can save you some trouble, but won't solve the real big problems.

I feel exactly the same way. Money can improve one's quality of life if lack of money is the only major problem that person is facing. Money cannot buy good physical,mental or emotional health or cure disease/conditions that have no real known cure. Money also cannot mend relationships or form meaningful relationships.

I would rather live in abject poverty for the rest of my life if that meant that I could have good overall health (but that's just me). I guess it depends on the severity of your afflictions and how much they limit your capacity to lead a normal life. I think many of us, simply want to experience life without the internal barracades. After all,the only thing we take with us in death is our life experiences and you can't really experience life the way you want to when you don't have control over your internal demons...be they mental, physical or emotional.

I think money can only momentarily make people who have non-superficial problems happy. The fact that a good handful of rich people still end up commiting suicide is very telling. One would think that a person who has more than a sufficient amount of money should automatically be happy with their life no?

Last edited:

agoraphobickatie

sometimes yes, sometimes no... either way, "money makes the world go 'round"
...and i'm a chick, pedicures (20$) make me happy :) haha

Lonelykitsune

yes,makes me feel secure(although i am a miser and rarly spend it)just makes me feel happy knowing if i se something i really want i can buy it without having to ask my parents.

B

Bar-AKA-Redzer

No, and if had loads of money and had to give it away to be happy then i would. No messin

Noca

Banned
Making money makes me happy for about as long as Data from Startrek considered turning to the borg.

DillJenkins

It makes you feel safe in life.

I agree completely. I like the safety and security of having money.

This is why having no job is stressing me out so much right now. I have catastrophic thoughts like what if I end up homeless? what if I never get a job?

anomicdeer

Only if I'm able to afford something I want since everything has to cost. Other than that, I think money is horrible. The world probably would be better if it wasn't for money.

Lea

Banned
If I had money only as inheritance or won a lottery, it wouldn't make me so happy as having some skills and understanding of how to run a business, for example. Because you can loose the money you have and what you do then? If you have some skills, it gives you peace of mind knowing you can use them any time.