Does money make you happy.

Harleyq

Well, having money feels a hell of a lot better than having no money lol.

Does it make me feel less anxious and deaden some of the depressive bouts? Yes, on a miniscule scale, cause that means I'm earning money and I don't get anxious about job-hunting or looking like a bum to others

Money helps me afford therapy if I need it, so it makes me happy in that sense.

I think everyone would agree that money isn't a cure-all though. I don't want to be cliche and be all "Money can't buy true happiness" because..duh! But in a capitalistic environment, it helps a little.

Last edited:

Sinar_Matahari

My life isn't great but I am happy for the most part, but money would make me even more happy because my family and I really need money. So if any of you out there are rich and complain that money doesn't mean a thing, I would be glad to relieve you of your burden. :)

recluse

In the long run material pleasures are only superficial and won't make you happy. You could be as rich as Bill Gates but it does not mean you'll be happy, because it means nothing without love.

Nicholas

Money can only make you more happy if you are already pretty happy, in most cases, I would say. In my case, money would mean almost nothing because my problems can't be solved by money. Money can save you some trouble, but won't solve the real big problems.

Harleyq

what is the right way to spend it is the big question?

I think all those lotto winners who squander their money and then say they wish they never won it are good examples of how not to spend. Like that 17 yr old who won a sh-tload of money and wasted all of it on boob jobs, clothes, and partying and then was sad that she no longer has money and nothing to show for it excpet for a couple of bags of silicon, some cloth, and maybe some vomited remnants of the good ol' days. That's the wrong way.

I think if you use your money to take care of yourself, it can make you happier. Investing money so that when that emergency hospital bill arises, or when you want to buy some shelter for yourself that doesn't make you fear the roof blowing off during a bad storm, then that's the right way to spend it. Nobody's going to say "I know I can't afford to go to the hospital for my broken ankle which is now all but twisted off, but I couldn't be happier and having the money to fix my ankle wouldn't do a damn thing to elevate that!"

I guess this might just me being raised under a military family but money that can buy stability (key word here), can buy me at least some happiness. If I ask myself "Without any form of money, can I protect myself and would I be happy without any protection?" and the answer is "no" then I can't honestly say that money won't make me at least a little happy.

Last edited:

WelshOne

In general, money can buy me small victories in terms of confidence, but it never makes me truly happy.

However, if I were to win the lottery tomorrow, I would be able to take one particularly big step which could very well lead to me being the happiest guy on Earth! :) I'm being intentionally vague, here. ::p:::eek::

cobalt_bluester

I firmly believe that money CAN indeed make you happy as it can allow you to do things in your life that make your feel happy. I wish I had a lot more money, I am struggling to make ends meet and I know this is contributing to my problems.

MothMan

time is money. money is time. to have as much time to whatever you want? I can imagine many ways that would make me happy. But to say that it is temporary happiness is only to say that nothings infinite.

Jake123

Banned
I would never cease to have a smile on my face if I were rich. Money would bring me utter and complete happiness. Everything I've ever wanted can be achieved with money. It sickens me to say this because money is evil, but it's a sad truth that money is a necessity.

I think if you use your money to take care of yourself, it can make you happier. Investing money so that when that emergency hospital bill arises,

I think even if I were filthy rich I wouldn't pay a hospital bill. I currently "owe" $200,000 in hospital bills which I don't actually owe. It was supposed to be billed to my insurance and they went ahead with the hospital stay because they said my insurance was accepted. Lo and behold after the stay was over they said the insurance company declined coverage and they billed me instead :) They can go shove it.

philly2bits

I'd be happy if I had alot of money only because I would never have to work again and wouldn't have to worry about bills. Buying alot of useless crap wouldn't make me happy

FOR REAL

Banned
money has made me happy tonight cause i won £50 at the bookies, so when it clears back to my bank account i can pay the gas bill!

I think having plenty of money can decrease stress and anxiety, but in my opinion, true happiness doesn't come from being financially secure, but from being happy with yourself and having people around you that care about you and that you enjoy spending time with.