Does anyone go to the cinema alone?

megalon

I go to see movies by myself quite often. I think a concert alone would be much scarier though so I always went to concerts with my brother in the past. I'm going to have to get over that fear if I ever want to go to a concert again now that my brother's in the military.

Nathália

I would be scared that someone would see me, the thought of this makes me want to breath into a bag. It's even hard with another person around.

I am not a fan of many movies. I feel so cheated when the movie turns out to have cliches in it.

I could see myself in a relaxing "hole in the wall" though. Somewhere that not many people go. I could sit alone there.

anxiety1408

I go to see movies by myself quite often. I think a concert alone would be much scarier though so I always went to concerts with my brother in the past. I'm going to have to get over that fear if I ever want to go to a concert again now that my brother's in the military.

Well I think you would be fine if you can go see movies by yourself. What I suggest you do is what I do, queue up more than an hour early so you can get right at the front near the stage. When You are right at the front next to the barriers you will be less concerned with the people around you then if you were say in the middle or back where you would be surrounded by people.

Also I have been going for standing tickets!! So Im up there and part of the action. I dont want to get seats because people dont let you enjoy, some will just sit while songs are being played and others wont do anything. You feel very self conscious in that scenario if you were to stand up and sing etc. So just aim for right at the front!! Like I mentioned earlier last 4 concerts i went to were alone and going again this upcoming october, I've enjoyed them ALL.

Eyv

I have a sweet sister i go with once a week. If it wasn't for her i'd probably go alone.. I don't know if i would go at all in that case

Yeah, I don't have anyone to go with so I always go alone. I didn't think there was anything odd about it until one day some guy in the office was asking me what I do at the weekend and he seemed to think it was really strange to go to the cinema alone. I guess cinema is seen as a social thing by some people, huh.

On another note, one time I literally went alone as I was the only person in the auditorium for the movie. I wondered if they would show the movie just for me, but they did. Or maybe it's all automated, I dunno.

How_slow_the_Wind

I haven't been to a movie alone. I usually go with my friends, although its just multiplex stuff; the sort of films i don't really care for but just go to as an obligation to see my friends. Sometimes I might see a an arthouse/foreign film with my mum. I have been to gigs alone, although I don't really do that anymore and only go if my sister or a friend is willing to come. It's too lonely going back home at night by yourself...

jonas89

When I was dealing with agoraphobia at the time and meeting with a therapist, me therapist suggest me to try to go in a public places like tha mall, I figured out trying to go alone to the cinema alone ( dont remember what movie that was tho ) but I had never tried that before then,,
It was kinda strange hehe because I always go with someone and when going alone the thoughts that came frequently to my mind was,,When ppl were looking at you I always find maybe they were thinking if I didnt have any friends and was going alone hehe :p
But nevertheless I enjoyed the movie.

chocchipz

I've been to the movies plenty of times alone! I don't see why anybody would judge/care, everyone's too busy watching the movie anyway haha.

As for clubs/bars alone, I don't think I could ever do that, I'd wind up just standing around alone awkwardly sipping my drink.

nightcrawler

I have been to around 4 concerts alone (even though I told others I went with a friend! ::eek::) and have been to the cinema several times alone. The friend I used to go to the cinema with is now engaged with kids so hardly see him anymore, let alone go anywhere with him ::(: I haven't even been to the cinema for a few years now, I just wait for the dvd! I think the last film I saw was Slumdog Millionaire. I saw it alone cos I couldn't wait for the dvd. When I do go (alone) I try and get there early - there's nothing worse than walking into a packed theatre all by yourself. I usually go in the afternoon too as it's less busy. I really want to see The Hobbit when it comes out, so may have to get to the cinema then, probably alone.

razzle dazzle rose

I watched a movie at the theater by myself once. I did not like it at all. I don't like going to the movies often anyway, too expensive, but if I do I just like to do it with someone else. It just feels better for me.

Going to concerts on your own is such a courageous thing I feel. All of you that do are very brave!

razzle dazzle rose

I believe if you want to see or do something, then just do it. Don't rely on your friends etc. If your friends never wanted to see your fav band/or a movie with you in cinema, would you go your whole life not having done the things you liked just because your friends didnt want to do it??

You bring up a very good point. I have seen a lot of films on DVD because no one wanted to go see these movies with me at the theater. Now I don't mind it as much because there are always loud people at the theater who ruin the experience for me, and it is so expensive! $11 movie ticket or $1.35 Redbox movie rental?

But, I do like museums and the zoo and aquariums and don't get to go as often as I'd like because I don't have anyone to go with. I actually made this list a couple months ago of all the things I wanted to do. It was my plan to go out and do all these things on my own. But then I moved, and sadly, there is not much to do here...not that I know of anyway, although now I have someone who would go with me. Ah!

anxiety1408

You bring up a very good point. I have seen a lot of films on DVD because no one wanted to go see these movies with me at the theater. Now I don't mind it as much because there are always loud people at the theater who ruin the experience for me, and it is so expensive! $11 movie ticket or $1.35 Redbox movie rental?

But, I do like museums and the zoo and aquariums and don't get to go as often as I'd like because I don't have anyone to go with. I actually made this list a couple months ago of all the things I wanted to do. It was my plan to go out and do all these things on my own. But then I moved, and sadly, there is not much to do here...not that I know of anyway, although now I have someone who would go with me. Ah!

There can be annoying people at the theater, I really hate it when there are, spoils the experience. You've given me an idea @ your list, I might make one at some point and write down the things I have wanted to do and then I will go and do them alone. Relying on yourself is probably the best thing to do.

I got really annoyed at my best friend cos he wouldnt go see titanic with me, so I disagreed to play pool with him which we planned some time ago. But once I booked my ticket for titanic to see myself, I told him I can play pool.

In short, we should never rely on any other people for our happiness.

razzle dazzle rose

In short, we should never rely on any other people for our happiness.

But I need people to be happy. I think that is the reason for how unhappy I have felt all these years: I am not close to people. But perhaps this is a little off topic. I do agree that we should go out and do the things we want to do, even if it means doing so alone. Don't they say that is one way to meet people? Ah, but that would work for others, not me. I am no good with small talk.

anxiety1408

But I need people to be happy. I think that is the reason for how unhappy I have felt all these years: I am not close to people. But perhaps this is a little off topic. I do agree that we should go out and do the things we want to do, even if it means doing so alone. Don't they say that is one way to meet people? Ah, but that would work for others, not me. I am no good with small talk.

We need to start thinking about ourselves, and people later. Yes indeed they say do the things you love and you'll meet people. :)

Invisibleman

Funny I came across this thread, im on a long weekend and I was thinking of going by myself tomorrow night but im quie nervous. As others have said its not so much actually being there by myself but im scared of seeing somebody I know because they will almost always ask "so who are you with?" :confused:

OceanMist

I've been to maybe one movie alone I think. It was so long ago. I don't think I'd like going alone because everyone else would be there with someone and it would be weird.

There is something about doing stuff like that where I don't enjoy it. It's because it's designed for people to be with others and I can feel that.