Does anyone else find this whole "brony" (my little pony) thing, weird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyup

is this better...?

unicorn-man.jpg

dang, he's SEXXYYY....mmm

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I just want to clearly state things in this thread, saying them multiple times (because it seems like my posts here exist in another physical realm entirely, for the people that need to read them most.)

Seriously.

People, y u no listen :sad:

Hellhound

Super Moderator
And there's a doubt I have.

The OP doesn't know that the fandom is about, accuses the fans of being weird, not manly enough, childish and whatever. When people come and give her insight, she ignores it. Why? Is the OP just expecting comments agreeing with her?

You need to understand, guys, that there are a variety of others in here that might belong to a certain sub-culture or fandom. In a mental health site, made for support, I don't find it very welcoming to have a thread stating how weird they are for liking something. One thing is to ask what the whole thing is about because you're curious, but pointing out fingers and labeling them as freaks is a completely different story.

I know you have your opinions and I respect it. You don't like the fandom? That's cool, you don't have to like it. But insulting others...?

I often see you complaining about how "normal" people judge you for having different lifestyles. You're doing the exact same thing you complain about. You are no different from the so called "normal" people.

I'm not intending to be rude. Like I said, you're entitled to your opinion, you're not forced to like something you don't find appealing. But please, for god's sake, stop being insulting. Stereotyping men and women is highly ignorant and rude. Let people enjoy what they want. If they aren't hurting anybody, why do you care so much?

WishingICould

And there's a doubt I have.

The OP doesn't know that the fandom is about, accuses the fans of being weird, not manly enough, childish and whatever. When people come and give her insight, she ignores it. Why? Is the OP just expecting comments agreeing with her?

You need to understand, guys, that there are a variety of others in here that might belong to a certain sub-culture or fandom. In a mental health site, made for support, I don't find it very welcoming to have a thread stating how weird they are for liking something. One thing is to ask what the whole thing is about because you're curious, but pointing out fingers and labeling them as freaks is a completely different story.

I know you have your opinions and I respect it. You don't like the fandom? That's cool, you don't have to like it. But insulting others...?

I often see you complaining about how "normal" people judge you for having different lifestyles. You're doing the exact same thing you complain about. You are no different from the so called "normal" people.

I'm not intending to be rude. Like I said, you're entitled to your opinion, you're not forced to like something you don't find appealing. But please, for god's sake, stop being insulting. Stereotyping men and women is highly ignorant and rude. Let people enjoy what they want. If they aren't hurting anybody, why do you care so much?

What do you want me to say? Yes, i think it's weird and childish. The Simpsons, Family Guy etc are obviously aimed at adults so comparing that to My Little Pony or Barbie is a bit silly, in my opinion. I'm not trying to offend anyone i just personally find the idea of an adult male OR female sitting at home watching it, uncomfortable.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
What do you want me to say? Yes, i think it's weird and childish. The Simpsons, Family Guy etc are obviously aimed at adults so comparing that to My Little Pony or Barbie is a bit silly, in my opinion. I'm not trying to offend anyone i just personally find the idea of an adult male OR female sitting at home watching it, uncomfortable.

You don't like it? Perfect. You don't have to watch it.

Now, why do you care so much if others do and what is the logic behind your argument?

WishingICould

You don't like it? Perfect. You don't have to watch it.

Now, why do you care so much if others do and what is the logic behind your argument?

The logic? I don't know. I just wondered how other people felt about the whole thing, that's all. When i first heard about the whole brony thing i thought it was a joke because i didn't think that people would actually be into that.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
The logic? I don't know. I just wondered how other people felt about the whole thing, that's all. When i first heard about the whole brony thing i thought it was a joke because i didn't think that people would actually be into that.

So you're merely curious then?

Ok, how come you keep ignoring my posts and Puma's when we explain you what the whole thing is about just to clear your doubts? You should know that, when you make a post like that, worded like that, you will get posts trying to enlighten you a bit. How come you refuse to listen to them?

With that, it makes me assume that you'll only listen what you want to hear.

cowboyup

All joking aside from me, I have been reading this thread and it has evolved quite interestingly.

Made me stop and think about my own (and others I knew) opinions about a co-worker we had. The person was in his mid 30s and his office was filled with Disney memorabilia. He and his wife took trips to Disneyland about twice a month and emerged themselves into Disney anything; merchandise, etc. head on.

We all used to 'question' why....This was in 2004. I would hope to think I've grown since then and I feel I have.

Now, ya know what? I don't care. It doesn't cause me any uncomfortable feelings or any negativity. It simply is what he and his wife like and they enjoy it, and to that I say, 'so what?' I don't mean to sound so 'meh' about it, but it is truly how I feel now and I feel bad looking back and poking fun at him and what he enjoys.

By the way, this guy is Jane Ann Krentz nephew. yes, the author. AKA Jayne Castle, Amanda Quick.

I am not saying we should all be the same and have the same ideals and opinions, likes and dislikes, No. I am just saying, eh, for me, it's cool. I've done some very questionable things far worse than watching a cartoon or dressing as a character and I am sure I've been judged for my past behaviours. As a matter of fact, as I've gotten older, I seem to be more relaxed about many things....well, other than my SA, I'm good. :)

It's cool you feel that way, and it's all good.
for me, I have my opinions and you have yours.
And ya know what? That's what makes threads like this more of a learning experience, for me anyhow. Silly as it may sound, I try to learn form others' postings. Help improve myself, or thinking outside that proverbial box.

Hope I didn't offend anyone. :)

cowboyup

It's called "pony play" in the bdsm world.
Not that I would know anything about it, that'd be just plain silly

:bigsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.