Do you talk to yourself often?

zav943

On the balance of things, I think I'm a pretty sane person, but having gone weeks at a time without any human interaction (other than my mom occasionally calling me), and not having any pets, I've taken up the off habit of talking to myself. By that I mean far beyond the occasional curse or self-depreciating comment I mutter when I do something stupid...sometimes I'll just start uttering what I'm thinking. Complete and random thoughts...I just want to say them...I can't stay quiet forever!

I wish I had someone to share these thoughts with, so I end up having to talk to myself in the car or at home. I know, it's a very sad state of affairs, but it's become part of who I am.

Does anyone else talk to themselves often?

(example of my self-talk for the sake of clarification:

There was a girl I used to like who straight up (and without much thought) did her best to ignore me once she felt that I like her. I wasn't hurt or anything since I'm emotionally numb at this point...rather, I feel frustrated, and curious why a girl who told me she liked me a lot (as a friend) would just ditch me so quickly. One time, while driving and thinking about that, I randomly said "Fine then, don't talk to me. This is my punishment? For liking you...you didn't even give me a chance to tell you..." I just kept rambling on like that until I came to a red light.)

Dr. Doom

Yeah, I usually go over event in my head. Like situations where I wish I could have said something else, or I say something else, like something I had the balls to say. I'll go over it in my head then sometimes just say it out loud when I am alone. Sometimes when I'm angry I do the same thing you did. Sometimes I feel crazy, like I'll sing out loud and say things to people. Its not like I see a person, I'm talking to anyone, I know I'm alone but eh, it relieves stress sometimes for me.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

You're thinking aloud. MANY do this. I keep things inward as many do (by inward I mean feelings, frustrations, etc.) gotta release it all - esp drives home or to pump self up next day or alone, it's natural imo to not just think it but talk it aloud. Plus keeps the vocal chords active tongue is a muscle needs to be worked.

Now ... when you begin answering back... like gollum... you should worry. =)

Last edited:
I do, I have a lot of conversations I speak out loud which are basically just random thoughts ::p: But I only do this, when no one can hear me lol :D

worrywort

yea I love talking to myself! I used to be pretty embarrassed about it, until I realised it's actually pretty common. Now I occasionally even do it in public! It helps me to sort my thoughts out. I usually talk to myself as though I'm explaining something to someone. So I'm not really talking to myself, it's more like talking to an imaginary 2nd person. Kinda like practice. On reflection I don't think it's particularly strange. It'd only get strange if you really believed there was someone responding to you, when you're actually alone!

Last edited:

BleedTheFreak

All the time, whether it be to criticize myself or work something out. Sometimes I'll make plans for myself and go over the details, like ask the "2nd person" a question then answer it. I feel odd doing it but I have no choice.

If only the dog would talk back...

twiggle

It really helps sometimes if you're upset/worried about something and your mind is going crazy with thoughts. It helps to try and find the words that can unravel the situation. I pretend I'm talking to a carbon copy of myself. It's like "Ok, so this is why I'm upset. I went into the kitchen, and X was in there..." or something.
Really, really helps.
Maybe just don't do it in public hahaha.

uncle

When I do talk out loud it is usually a release to try to clear my head of the bad thought I am thinking of. I hate doing it in front of my kids or wife but I can't help it.

I also usually combat my depression by talking out loud. When I have thoughts that "the world is passing me by" and I get a sinking low feeling I usually say "I don't know".

To anwser the OP's question. Yes I would say I talk to myself often, probably several times everyday. Somedays are worse than others. I think it stems from isolating myself from others. I had a job when I was in my twentys where I pretty much worked alone for much of the day and thats when it started. I wonder if I had a different job would it have mattered?

I'll never forget the first time I heard my Dad talk to himself. It freaked me out. So I do think some of it is genetic.

I used to do it all the time since I was little. My Mom does too.
Nothing wrong with it really, its a good way to sort out thoughts, feelings etc.

Just make sure you talk softly to yourself and make sure no one sees you lol. My Mom used to talk to herself pretty loudly, althought I didn't care, still...

Hastings & Main

Same as the OP. I'm always talking out my thoughts, what I'm going to to that day, plans, etc, always in a whisper, though - if the neighbors heard, I'd be getting dragged away to a psych, I'm sure :D. I've tried internalizing the thoughts, but there's just this weird need for releasing it into the air.

I used to think there was something wrong with me as I've never heard anyone else talking to themselves, but we usually clam up when others are present so it makes sense that we don't notice others doing it that often. I've known a few people at work who would talk to themselves while at the computer in a room full of people, so you gradually learn it's no big deal.

I talk more to myself than anyone else, so maybe years of this is the reason my voice is so quiet?

ckkr22

iuse to do it more often when i was younger. think i'll get back into the habit a little later in life. my most frequent spot of doing this was in the kitchen for some odd reason.

Phoenixx

I talk to myself quite often too, but it's normally not aloud. I don't know why, but whenever I talk to myself, I usually just mutter. So sometimes I just walk around looking like some muttering idiot, people must think I'm insane. ::p:

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Yes I do, and so do both my parents and my grandmother. I was surprised how many other people said one or both of their parents talk to themselves as well, but that makes sense when you think about it. (When my dad does it creeps me out a little, I've gotten used to it by now though).

I talk to myself most when I need to calm myself down I think. Like "shhhhh, it's okay, it's okay, don't worry about it don't worry about it, it's no big deal, nobody cares" ect ect. This also tends to take the form of the example you used about the girl, I read it and thought "hey I do that same kinda thing." I tend to vocalize most of my conversational thoughts as well, unless I'm in public in which I try to force myself to not.

GhoulsNightOut

I often strike up a conversation with myself...to see how I'm doing, if there's anything I can do to make myself feel better. It's pretty creepy. :]

JamesSmith

Of course, I talk to myself all the time. I sing to myself too after hearing a good song. I thought about why I do this, and then came to the obvious conclusion that I have nobody else to talk to, so I have to talk to myself to get my thoughts out of my head. It's kind of relieving. I used to be afraid to do it because I thought people would think I was a freak, but that ship has sailed if you catch my drift. After people called me a freak a few times when I wasn't talking to myself, when i was being shy, the whole freak thing doesn't bother me anymore. I just understand that they don't understand me. Even my friends don't get me, so I can't expect other people to understand me.

Noop

always,

i was too noisy a child but no one wanted to talk, so i just talked to myself instead. (more of an understanding thing, let's just say english isn't my family's first language)

i often have to mix-down a tune at 3 in the morning and i'm told later in the day that i mutter to myself about technical mumbo jumbo.

just as a side note, i've got someone inside my head i love to talk to and make out they're in the room with me.. she isn't human per-se by the way, but humanoid enough. it's very enjoyable to me and gives me feelings of warmth and levity.

yes, i'm that far gone.:D

Kathryn.fr

My mom would sing in French to herself, she didn't even speak it. I talk to myself all the time, it used to be just whispers, random stuff like "No I did that already." now it tends to turn into full conversations, specially if mirrors are involved haha. I don't find it creepy, I make myself happy! =D