Do you repeatedly avoid romantic relationships?

TooShyShy

re read my post, i made it more informative then i originally poasted..i was in a hurry and couldn't say what i wanted...you are seriously the only one who has said this..people who know him don't think so....

klytus

Well, but you are into him, it seems. If you think he is into you, too, then why not be happy together? There's no set rule that the man has to make the very first step. What others - coworkers I suppose - say is irrelevant. People really love spectacular stuff and go as far as making stories up to have more interesting lives.

TooShyShy

Bcuz you have APD you don't look at things the way others do..why look at a woman that much and go out of your way to be around her if you don't like her??? Other men i work with say it can ONLY mean one thing if you are straight!!!!

Unless you're gay (or asexual) you may not get a man's need to be around a woman he's attracted to...and why bother at all unless you want something????

And why get nervous around her and try to please her if you don't care about her or what she thinks of you--thats nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At one point when i gave up on him and made it obvious..he came around MORE made me say hello to him, even if i was looking the other way..he'd get in my face to say hi and wouldn't go away..he could have just let it go at that. It would have been the wise thing to do if he didn't like me.

Its when i start giving him attention that he gets scared and hides for a day or two but then comes back around all pumped up!!!!!!!!!!

Its crazzzzzzzzzzzy!

shybhoy

Chances are he does fancy you, but remember he is AvPD so that means he probably has this fantasy in his head about you being the ideal and perfect (which no one is) so he is more happier to live with the fantasy than to have a little courage and make a go of it because its way to hard for him to do that in real life....AvPD'ers have probably the lowest self esteem out of all mental disorders i mean its chronic so they live in the fantasy they have of situations in their head because its less painful and less chance of hurting or being rejected. I have no doubt this guy likes you but unless your willing to wait a long long time and put in a whole lot of effort then he will continue to live in his head and you will get amazingly frustrated...if you think he is worth it and he may be it depends what you feel for him then you gotta be paitent otherwise you need to let go. i know its not fair on you in a way, but you gotta be very gentle with AvPD sufferers if you want to get to know em.

Last edited:

TooShyShy

thank you shyboy, i think he is worth it and i hope YOU know you are worth it..if you need to chat let me know :D

shybhoy

thank you ! i think someone i like has AvPD so i can relate :) she is also worth it, but not heard from her in a while.

Skald

when i got close enought maybe i could avoid...

Great point. You should feel lucky that you can get yourself into the situations where you feel you can make that step once you have beat your anxiety. For some of us it's not even on the horizon.

dream

It's something i think about alot, it's not so much rejection (although it would be if i ever had the idea of asking someone) but more not thinking i'm even ready or actually able...just having someone that close seems unbelievably awkward and i guess that is what makes me avoid it more than anything. No doubt i would be comfortable enough with someone before that even happens but it just seems..absolutely terrifying

But yeh like pretty much everything which involves social interaction lol, you just have to jump in only way to learn?

I totally can relate. I have been single for 6yrs now i had opportunities but the guys who did like me i wasn't feeling them and a few of them wern't feeling me so and then there was this one guy who i was attractive too but unfornatley he came around when i became depressed and ugly again soo i was terrifed of going out with him so he rejected me as well.I have a strong desire to have somebody to call my own but im emotionally unstable so my love life is on hold but im scared to get involved with anyone i have adapted to the single life for soo long but it would be nice to be embraced with loving arms and all the lovey dovey stuff that comes with it:)

tired_of_starting_again

The closet thing to romance I have ever had is maybe I'll sort of return of 'look' to a guy, but even that freaks me the hell out. I hate it when guys stare at me, I mean, friendships are hard enough, romance??????? Horrifying.
I am just so convinced that I will be the wrong guy, so sure that I will end up with the shallow loser who only wants one thing. I'm so sure that no actually nice guy would ever want anything to do with a loser like me.

Warped perception huh?

Liberty

Banned
I came to this forum because I developed social phobia, but I'm pretty sure I have this as well. I had an extremely painful and traumatic relationship with my mother and I suppose this is the result. I don't really see a problem with it because it's there for a reason, to protect from dangers I've been exposed to in the past. It prevents me from living a more normal life, but at the same time protects me from further emotional pain so it's a trade-off.

I get pretty lonely and have been since I left home 10 years ago and now that I have social phobia as well things are more severe.

Pink_Paula

I never used to avoid relationships, in fact i thought being in a relationship was the best thing ever, having someone to care about you, think of you when you're not there and love you no matter what. I thought that was the best thing in the world.

But i've recently come out of a relationship and i've been left feeling, lost, alone, worthless. And it's not the fact that i don't have a boyfriend anymore that has brought me down, it's the fact that now i have proof that i am no good in relationships, i'm as useless and horrible as i thought, i'm never getting into a relationship again, i don't want to give myself completely to someone else ever again just to be left feeling like i am right now!

Pink_Paula

Cheer up. I'm the same way. I just think that some of us aren't cut out for that kind of stuff. It doesn't make us bad people though. It's not fair to define yourself by who you are with another person. For whatever reason, I'm a psycho in relationships, but alone and with friends I'm great. As human beings we can only be stretched so far, everyone has their breaking point. Relationships happen to be my breaking point.

Thanks, that actually makes a lot of sense to me. In any other relationship i have like with friends and family i'm fine, but when i'm in a relationship with a guy i turn into a weirdo, i try not to, but it always happens and when the relationship ends it just validates how useless i am!

iamthenra

I would never avoid a romantic relationship... It's the relationship ANY relationship that I am having problems with... Just getting a g/f is incredibly difficult. Maybe one of these days "this" won't bother me as much as it does. But for now....It's a real sore spot and one that causes severe depression... :mad:

fife_girl

Oh yeah I hate this problem so much. I've had a couple of chances where the girl just falls for me and i have to **** it up. I become distant and "unavailable" all of a sudden. It drives me nuts!!!

im completely the same!! get so frustrated at myself cause i know fine well what im doing but i do it anyway!!

Shift

I am afraid of being in a relationship because I think I will be taken advantage of (I am needy and easily manipulated and have a hard time saying no) and I don't trust my own judgment... So I don't date. Which is sad, because I would love to have someone to love me.

I am afraid of being in a relationship because I think I will be taken advantage of (I am needy and easily manipulated and have a hard time saying no) and I don't trust my own judgment... So I don't date. Which is sad, because I would love to have someone to love me.
I can relate to that.