do you have a 'life'?

polishgirl

Nowadays? Not quite. I used to have back in Poland. I moved and I lost a lot. I used to go out every weekend, no I don't have anyone to go out with. It makes me feel so out of place, so lonely.

Helmaninquiel

My life sucks, bad. I live with a bunch of dramatic retards..
and I hardly leave the house, sometimes not even my room.

MikeyC

Oh I so do not have a life, nowadays.
Maybe it will change. But nothing I do seem to make any difference.
Simply saying "maybe it will change" makes me think there's a spark in you that wants to light up. You're optimistic, but it's hiding behind pessimism. That's the way I see it. Why is nothing making any difference?

Nowadays? Not quite. I used to have back in Poland. I moved and I lost a lot. I used to go out every weekend, no I don't have anyone to go out with. It makes me feel so out of place, so lonely.
You've only been in Florida for a short time. You'll find friends and I'm sure you'll be okay. It just takes time to adjust. :)

polishgirl

You've only been in Florida for a short time. You'll find friends and I'm sure you'll be okay. It just takes time to adjust. :)

Thank you, I am hoping it will get better in time :) I just feel like anyone else would have proved better in this situation and it's killing me.

I am mentioning the move a little too much, sorry for that. :(

Zav

My job is pretty tiring and depressing. It's nice that I'm out of the house, conversing with people until 2pm almost everyday, but I come home exhausted and I don't feel like doing anything else. Typically I do have a couple other passions/hobbies but I never have energy to do them anymore.

PhantomPod

I work Monday - Friday, 8:30am-5pm. But outside of work, at night and on the weekends, I do not have a life at all. I have zero friends. I sit at home during my free time just on the Internet, listening to music, and watching TV and movies.

zav943

I'm more of a shut in than I've ever been in my life. I've reached the point where I am absolutely hopeless.
...I'm just stuck in a horrifying rut right now and I have no one to help me out of it.

Like phantompod, I work 9 to 6:30, I go to the gym every other day, so that, when I get home at 8 pm, I just have dinner, shower and sleep. On the weekends, like today, I cook, clean, gym, then sleep. Internet in my spare time.

I fear this may be one of those long term things. The worst part is that my mind will go to some very dark places when I sit down and think about how lonely I am. I really wish I could muster the self confidence to snap out of it.

Nanita

Simply saying "maybe it will change" makes me think there's a spark in you that wants to light up. You're optimistic, but it's hiding behind pessimism. That's the way I see it. Why is nothing making any difference?

There is a spark. And I´m still a little curious to see what life brings. But.. another part of me feels finished.
I´m pessimistic and optimistic.
I don´t know why nothing I do makes any real difference or change.
I tried to do many things to get better, I work with myself to change, to become better, but I keep being very depressed and nervous/anxious.

bsammy

yeah i have found that simply going out and doing things doesnt help me much at all..im realizing that i am going to have to almost completely change my mindset, thought patterns and most of all im going to have to find some spark or energy source..right now i simply dont have the energy to keep going out to establish new relationships/activities..

besides, going out and doing the social thing just always seem to be very underwhelming.most of the time i ask myself why i left the house in the first place.

gwennaelle

I haven't had a "life" in well over two years or so. Other than going to work 50+ hours a week where most of my time is spent alone in my office, I would force myself every few weeks or so to go out for dinner with one of the few friends I have left in this city, the whole time just antsy and wanting to go back home and be alone.
I've miraculously met a guy and have been spending a few nights a week at his place, but still crave being alone at home.
As much as I hate having to take head drugs, I've been back on Prozac for a few weeks and it's making me not dread social interaction the way I am non-medicated. Just damn loss of a sex drive. Ugh.

OceanMist

im realizing that i am going to have to almost completely change my mindset, thought patterns and most of all im going to have to find some spark or energy source

I just don't see how that is possible for someone like me. My mindset has been set on anti-social for my whole life, I don't think I can change it. I think it's just who I am.

As for spark and energy, that's just not me either. I don't have a sparky personality, and I become even more dead-like around people. I just shut down.

It's weird because I actually have a bunch of energy physically and athletically. For instance, I have been running 2 miles almost every day and running very hard and getting great times for someone who doesn't even run in an organized team, club or whatever.

The problem is I have zero social energy. No energy or desire. It's funny because I can probably do more push-ups or run faster in a 2 mile race than most people in a room which means I'm very active, yet in that same room I'm the least active socially.

I would trade all my physical energy and physical abilities just so I could have even half the social energy most people have.

ChrisN

I just don't see how that is possible for someone like me. My mindset has been set on anti-social for my whole life, I don't think I can change it. I think it's just who I am.

As for spark and energy, that's just not me either. I don't have a sparky personality, and I become even more dead-like around people. I just shut down.

It's weird because I actually have a bunch of energy physically and athletically. For instance, I have been running 2 miles almost every day and running very hard and getting great times for someone who doesn't even run in an organized team, club or whatever.

The problem is I have zero social energy. No energy or desire. It's funny because I can probably do more push-ups or run faster in a 2 mile race than most people in a room which means I'm very active, yet in that same room I'm the least active socially.

I would trade all my physical energy and physical abilities just so I could have even half the social energy most people have.

Your not anti-social, your asocial. And I would think that by doing exercise, you would have more energy to talk to people.

OceanMist

Your not anti-social, your asocial. And I would think that by doing exercise, you would have more energy to talk to people.

What is an asocial?

Exercise may help me feel a bit better, but it doesn't give me any desire to socialize or energy to socialize. Exercise is great but it's definitely not a cure for SA.

What is an asocial?

The wiktionary expresses it better than I could, so I copied and pasted the note from it:

"Asocial and antisocial are often used interchangeably in colloquial speech, but they are not the same thing; asocial means 'avoidant of society' while antisocial means 'hostile toward society'."

Antisocial usually refers to psychopaths.

I work Monday - Friday, 8:30am-5pm. But outside of work, at night and on the weekends, I do not have a life at all. I have zero friends. I sit at home during my free time just on the Internet, listening to music, and watching TV and movies.

Yeah this is basically my life except instead of work, I go to school and listen to my teacher ramble on and on about organic chemistry. When I first started college I tried all these activities because I told myself I wanted to be normal and not feel like my life was on autopilot all the time.

I try so hard to be social even though it makes me ridiculously uncomfortable but it seems no matter how much effort I put into it, I always fail. So now I don't feel like doing anything anymore because what's the point in trying if all you do is fail?

Earthbound_Misfit

I am actually getting better at going places.. though it's still hard to go anywhere by myself. I did manage to take a train trip to the Washington Coast and spend a week with friends in Marysville. Coming home was scary... I was alone for 8 hours with one smoke break in Wenatchee.

Earthbound_Misfit

"Asocial and antisocial are often used interchangeably in colloquial speech, but they are not the same thing; asocial means 'avoidant of society' while antisocial means 'hostile toward society'."

I tried explaining this to someone once... got my tongue all tangled up.

OceanMist

I looked up asocial and it sounds like me. I don't avoid everybody because I work and get groceries, but I do avoid most people.

I do try to be considerate of others but as with many shy people, it's tough to not be a jerk by accident. For instance, people like to be talked to and they probably won't get that out of me.