do you have a 'life'?

Verynervous

After reading through this, it sounds like this is pretty much me. I go to work and put my work face on, where no one may realize the way I am, then come home and don't ever go out.

I haven't always been this way, but the last 5 years(I'm 26) I've had a really tough time going out with friends and doing anything. I would get invited to do stuff and would sometimes just say I was working to avoid going, but when I did go I just didn't feel like I was having fun. I can't say they aren't fun, I just didn't feel like I ever had anything to talk about.

Now I pretty much sit home all the time with no interest in ever going out. The only interest lately is to find a girlfriend, which I can't even talk to them so that won't happen unless I fight through this somehow. I also refuse to go to a doctor as I just hate the doctors.

Does this sound like APD or am I just miserable around people?

Last edited:

Kiwong

I do have a life. I've built a life within a life that I can escape into anytime. A running life. I fear losing it.

Nouveau

If you call going and doing things I have to do (shop, doctor appointments, etc) and staying home all the rest of the time, then yes.

bcsr

I spend most of my time at home, when I'm not working. That said, I do go out with friends from time to time. And I usually play games on teamspeak with some real life friends twice a week.

I'm happy enough, lol. It does get lonely sometimes since me and my ex split-up. She lived with me for over four years, so I was rarely alone. But that's life. :)

nafadda

compared to people who are layed up in hospitals I think I have a blessed life.

to people who want a life to be going out and partying ?? they may think I don't...been there,done that and I like this life MUCH better.

some things I do the same day after day..I just call those particular things 'my chores'.for example i know i clean up certain things daily..why??? because i don't want to live like a slob.

i take walkabouts outside every day with my hounds,some may find that boreing,but i happen to enjoy it..so all in all ,YES i think I have a life..the life I chose to have .

hidwell

WHAT is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?—
No time to stand beneath the boughs,
And stare as long as sheep and cows:

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass:

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night:

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance:

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began?

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

tmytt

verynervous, have a google around. It is best to look at personality disorders as a spectrum i think. Some may feel they have it to a very high level, some to moderate level and it commonly overlaps to other disorders. However if you relate powerfully with others stories then thats normally the best indicator.

im just started learning about my AvPD, i find it weird, i feel it affects my life badly, but it seems to be in different ways to alot of people (the core of it still remains the same)

I can get out abit and am involved in alot of extremely social and confronting activities. I seem to have this almost seperate personality 'mask' i put on when im in social situations. It has served me well but im beginning to wonder at what cost. Intimate relationships are impossible i think, too much of AvPD makes it ridiculously difficult.

psych

I had a small life, but had to move to another state to obtain a job with healthcare...

Since then, been mostly an utter misery. But, I keep trying, & hanging on.

Darkness_'82

I don't have a life. I'm not really living, just existing.

But I want to change, like this ad says: It won't happen overnight, but it will happen.

I think it was a shampoo commercial or something. :D

mikebird

Banned
The one & only one reason I am like this is because my 4.5 year girlfriend in many different shared houses, when she was my perfect social tap to a town I was new to. If she'd stuck, my career would have flourished further, the way it began. HR saw how things were going after she left, and didn't want me. I can see the logic. I was a big Nin64 & the Sega Dream machine for a while.

As a sportstar or actor, country leader or billionnaire is backed by a good wife or husband. Finished in 2001. Rejected by employers, even after diligent efforts presenting myself technically over a decade of fruitful projects with clients and in bigtime suits, and getting through months of hospital episodes. That takes effort, but is never appreciated.

I'll never give up. I keep going ::p:

lyricalliaisons

My so called "life" consists of tv shows, internet, and reading over 97% of the time. So, no, I don't have a life. Not a real one.

bcsr

Meh. I have some friends I go out with some times. Movies, bowling, dinner, etc... I don't go "out" that often, because I really don't like it. I turn down quite a few invites.

Boby

Well daahhh...I'm typing this post so I'm a living thing therefore I have a life::p:.
On a more serious note my answer is no and yes.

MrJones

As far as I know, I'm not dead yet, which I think it means I have a life. Being it different than most other people doesn't make it worth less, me thinks.

MrSunday

like is your day to day much different or do you do the same things everry day?do you have any sort of social life at all or are you a hermit basically?are you happy with the way you are living?

Hi,

Here's my daily routine.

I wake up early in the morning to exercise. I wear my suit, catch the bus and open the office (I'm usually the first on there). I work from 8:00am to 5:30pm. I reach home by 6:30pm or 7pm. I study the rest of the night for my accounting exams. On Mondays, I leave work early to attend my accounting class.

In the weekends, I stay home unless if I have to do shopping or go to work to finish off more work. I usually play computer games and watch anime series. I read my accounting book and take a 1 hour driving lesson.

I earn a very low wage and constantly worry about looking for another job when my contract ends. I hate dealing with the public. I sick of exam pressure.

I'm always angry, but no one can tell. Some people don't realise how close they are from getting ripped apart when they are rude to me.

I don't speak to many people except my parents, people at work and at college (evening accounting classes).

Overall, I have a life, but I hate it...no surprise.

Gaucho

for the last 3 or 4 years i lost my life, i had it, but i lost it, i have to find it again... will i ever find it? i don't know, maybe yes, maybe i find it in 3 months and I'm happy, its a possibility. maybe i won't find until I'm 30, maybe ill never find it again.