do you have a 'life'?

I'm trying reaaaalllly hard to go out and do stuff the last few months. I have been trying to get out a bit more and y'know not only does it get easier but I actually really enjoy doing things now and I feel like I've accomplished something everytime I put my key in the door and come back from my pottering.

DancingDann

Well i wouldn't say i have a life as such but i'm not unhappy with it really. It is the same thing every day but it's become routine now and i'm so used to it. I love classics UK sitcoms and they keep me laughing through the months. If it did change i don't think i could handle it, lol.

I don't have any kind of social life and i only go out of my house at Christmas to decorate the garden. But i don't focus on what's missing in my life. I focus on the good things. :)

bsammy

^well the problem is with that is one day in the future you might 'wake up' or want to change your hermit-like lifestyle and want to live but then it will almost be too late.thats what has happened to me.i have lived doing the same routine for years on end but once in awhile my mind will wake up and realize there is an entire world out there and a life that needs to be lived..then it comes down to trying to change your hardwired hermit habits and that is unbelievably hard.

you might be different and be more content with your lifestyle but i have tried to trick myself saying my life is ok in 'hermit land' because i can find some contentment in my hobbies but when i look back, i realize life is passing by and im just an observer.

Etbow23

I wouldn't say I'm a total hermit but I would say that I spend more nights at home/at work than other people do. And I'm content with that for the most part. Sometimes I'm afraid to admit it to people on the outside though because I don't want them to judge me.

Shant

I have two part time jobs and am taking college classes full-time.

My social skills aren't as debilitating as back when I was first diagnosed with Avoidant Personality Disorder, but the social anxiety's still there. Eh, with any luck, I'll stress myself out so much that I'll get a heart attack and die. ;)

Besides that, I don't do anything else with my life. Occasionally I'll go to this anime club at my college once a week, but in general, I'd vastly prefer to just be a hermit and not have to leave the house at all. Ugh.

Piece_By_Piece

No, but I've kind of come to the point where I don't even care anymore. I'm pretty much unable to do anything productive. I don't feel much either, it's like I'm dead but still alive. If I feel something, it's mostly irritability.

Last edited:

peanutsmum

I don't get out anymore. I quit working two yrs ago and now the computer is my life. My husband is good to me and if not for him I would have no-one.

if someone could help me understand the following, I would appreciate it.

In this site we all have the same thing in common which keeps us apart from the world. Why can't we become close friends with one another? - If I had one good friend, I could be happy. But I can't even manage that.-

Understand what I mean?

Nanita

Do I have a life - probably not, not at the moment.
Speaking litterally, I guess I do have a life, because I am alive.
But do I have a nice meaningful life with purpose and things to live for? NO defintely not.

if someone could help me understand the following, I would appreciate it.

In this site we all have the same thing in common which keeps us apart from the world. Why can't we become close friends with one another? - If I had one good friend, I could be happy. But I can't even manage that.-

Understand what I mean?

I know what you mean. But friendships or relationships don´t necessarily make me happy (only briefly, once in a a while). I understand that for some people, friendships could make great changes in their life.
I believe I need a huge personal/spiritual/therapeutic transformation to feel better and have a better life.

peanutsmum

I see what you mean...

If I had one good friend it would change everything for me at this time in my life...

You would think with all the lonely people in the world today it would happen. Ive had a few close friends in the past so it's something I'm capable of.

Lately my life has been routine. I only go out to the grocery store. I work at home. I go out to eat with old friends maybe a few times a year. I don't see the point in going out anymore. I don't want to deal with crazy, rude, annoying people, evil bosses (no, I don't mean Dr. Robotnik or King Koopa), bad drivers, people out looking for trouble etc. which seems like the norm around here.

I figured that being a recluse has a number of overlooked upsides to it though sometimes it may not feel like it. I feel more productive, relaxed, clearer mind etc.

I think not having a "life" is harmful in some ways though because you have to interact with people face to face at some point. I'm really not sure what to talk about anymore and what responses are appropriate though I try my best.

If everything could be done through the internet though that would be awesome ha.

By the way, hi everyone. I just discovered this awesome site yesterday.

bsammy

^oh sure being a recluse has a few benefits..very low stress levels from having no social drama,plus, you can save money as well

you would seriously like to spend the rest of your life inside your house, just surfing the net and watching tv?you could be happy like that?

but yes, having 'nothing to say' is a very big problem for us hermits.people will ask me 'whats going on?' and im like 'nothing' because im not doing anything but the same old crap.we will never have experiences to talk about if we live like we do.

^oh sure being a recluse has a few benefits..very low stress levels from having no social drama,plus, you can save money as well

you would seriously like to spend the rest of your life inside your house, just surfing the net and watching tv?you could be happy like that?

but yes, having 'nothing to say' is a very big problem for us hermits.people will ask me 'whats going on?' and im like 'nothing' because im not doing anything but the same old crap.we will never have experiences to talk about if we live like we do.

Hmmm... That is a tough question to answer. I do a lot of other things at home. I work out, do experiments, read etc. Everything I need could be bought online (except food which I have to go out for). I even work at home.

I can't say that I'd be satisfied living like that forever but it seems to be the best choice right now. I do feel quite empty and lonely a lot of times but I also felt it around my friends when I used to hang out with them a lot. Although I'd like to find friends to share these things with, I don't think they are out there for me to meet (I mean in my area). And if there are real potential friends out there, I have a feeling they are hermits too and I wouldn't know where to meet them.

I found that most things I've experienced when I tried being outgoing etc. were all draining and harmful in some way therefore I don't think it's worth it. I'll keep an open mind about having a social life even though I can't find one right now.

When people ask you what's going on and you don't know what to say, what do they say? And what do they say when you ask them?

1BlackSheep

This is a big problem for me as well! People at work always ask what I did on my days off and it's pretty embarrassing to most of the time say "nothing". I do go out occasionally with old work friends, but I don't have a "best friend" anymore to do stuff with all the time. I miss that. ::(:

My life consist of riding buses, playing video games alone, going on the computer, and going to school when I feel like going. Also, the contacts I have on my cell phone are my mom and brother. You tell me...

polishgirl

I do have a life. I can easily say, I spend my weekends out with friends almost all the time. But I'm still unhappy, because my social life is based on contact with women. That is not the main thing I care about...