Do you guys remember when you were all outgoing?

Do you remember being outgoing?

• No, I was going through SA from when I was just born.

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • Yes, I remember the feeling of being outgoing like it was yesterday

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • It's hard to remember, and just too depressing to remember or even think about.

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters

voodoochild16

Hey all, so I know that some of you out there reading this have either a history of being outgoing before you got SA, or you just grew up with SA from the very beginning. But for someone like me, I was outgoing until I was the age of 15. After that, and a tramautic experience, I developed SA through that experience and isolation.

But the memories remain of being outgoing. Does anyone remember what it felt like and do you guys also remember what it felt like to look forward to social events and such things like that?, and also having no problem with eye contact, or fearing anything else?.

PLEASE, no negative replies, or the mods will delete them.

theoutsider

I totally remember. Although I had symptoms of SA, I was always one of the most popular people in my office. Whenever I started a new job, I was always quiet at first but totally confident that I would be well liked before long which always seemed to be the case. I was a joker with a pretty quick wit which seemed to help make the work days more enjoyable for all. At some point I became super self conscious and uncomfortable with opening up so that initial shyness that I was always so self confident would go away after a while never left me.

jimmy75

I've always had SA and I've always felt different. It's like I'm detached and in my own world all the time.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I was never outgoing but I don't think I had SA "from the day I was born". I think I was always an introvert and developped SA as s*** happened as I grew up. :p

Ajaix

I was very outgoing as a kid and mostly as a teenager. I really enjoyed high school and going to party's and going to football games such and such. Then idk what happen but going into my junior year i changed got very self conscious and became scarred to talk to people.

Ever since then i have had SA and it sucks. Some days i feel like i did when i was younger not scarred and ready to do stuff but not most of the time.

Lavinialuna

I was outgoing at one point.
I have had bouts of social anxiety in times of crisis throughout my life. As a child I was rejected and it caused me to feel self conscious. I withdrew socially.
Then when I got out of high school I made some friends and became confident. I was at the top of my game. I was like that for years until I got injured and suffered chronic pain for years. I felt abandoned by my friends and family, belittled by Dr.s, rejected by social security, no one was there to catch me when I fell except my husband and kids, and they are the only one's a I trust anymore. I retreated inside myself again. Now I am worse than ever.
I think trauma and recurring rejection warps a person's ability to trust and cope. I fear the emotional pain that comes from being rejected, and prefer to avoid it at all costs.

I remember what it was like and I sure wish I could get there again. It was exhilarating and exciting. I have hope that maybe I can get there again, although I know I will never be the same or trusting of people ever again. I have been let down way too many times.

voodoochild16

Well I know that you aren't born with SA, you just kind of develop it during childhood if that's when you started experiencing SA.

But I can just remember being just fine during my work experience, while I was outgoing, and was around the age of 15. I remember walking past people who didn't say anything back when I tried to communicate, and I didn't understand.

So now, I understand both kinds of people, introverts and extroverts. The two will never understand each other if they've been the way they have been for their whole lives.

Now everything is life and death every day, and I never really feel happy about life because it's always filled with anxiety.

Sometimes I think I have everything like ADD and Asperg, but I think social anxiety makes similar symptoms. Like not looking on eyes of people...

Yeah, well in the first few stages I felt really f'ed up. I didn't know I wasn't the only one. But as I discovered all this information online, I realized that SA is just a negative way of thinking, the opposite of being outgoing, negative thoughts on a routine, and that all this thinking of "I'm ****ed up" was just trash talk to myself.

But now I realize the life of someone like me or anyone else going through the same thing is just a matter of forcing yourself to fit into social situations and be likeable to others. It sucks, and I still have hope one day there will be a cure for SA.

Last edited:

WeirdyMcGee

I was an outgoing child before I started preschool-- and then I was beat up, taunted and realized that people thought I was annoying and hated me, so I stopped trying to play with anyone and even stopped talking at school.
From kindergarten, onwards; I would come home after school, collapse on the floor and cry.

I can't really remember being outgoing but I was doing talent shows and plays and my parents tell me I was a very cheerful and bright little girl.

And now I am an old stormcloud. haha

bsammy

whats interesting is my outgoing nature doesnt change no matter my anxiety level..i used to think if i could eliminate my anxiety then id be mr outgoing but didnt happen..

I'm Not There

Never been outgoing in my life. In kindergarten, around the age of 3-4, I was the only kid in class who was too scared to ask the teacher something. Around that same age, I would also make up excuses as to why I didn't want to participate in school plays, go to school on my birthday, etc. Oh what a wonderful time that was...

spearhunter

i Develeped SA at the age of 13 , in high school, I wasnt very shy before that, but a series of events in high school change all that, and i become very anxious around people.

I was never "outgoing" but I was what you would call a "normal and confident" kid until the age of 8.

Any University would have a great study lab rat in me for examining the life-long effects of being systematically bullied in childhood may have on a person well into their adult life.

Desperately miss the "me" I was before the age of 8.
I miss her dearly.:sad:
Her life was so effortless and worry free. Not one single thought crossed her mind of how any person would be thinking of her behaviour. She was FREE! :)