are people intimidated or afraid of you?

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I've been told this a couple of times, and someone, once, added some explanations while asking me to say hi when we would cross paths in the future:

"You're an attractive person (that was alcohol talking, I'm not really attractive but anyway), but you don't talk to us and you're not trying to be friendly or anything, so it's very intimidating for us because we want to talk to you but we can't say if you want us to".

That would explain why, like I don't remember who said, most of the people who I get along with are very extraverted and curious people.

Probably. When I was in school people complained that I always looked mad and then when I lightened up they complained that I was always smiling. **** them.

MrSunday

Ah people seem to think I'm weak. One women said I have a kind face...ah I wish I looked evil.

bcsr

I used to get this all the time. I wore a permanent "leave me alone" type of scowl on my face. Not so much anymore.

XxXWhiteRoseXxX

I think that my body language & facial expressions shove people away because i don't tend to show any emotion, which makes me hard to read. My friends have also told me that when i am quiet or have a "shy-attack" (<---- self explanatory, right?), i come off as reserved & stuck-up

Kat

yeah, some people do well with my anxiety and their nature seems to put me a bit more at ease.

I have never been told I intimidate people but some people seem to get unsettled by it if I'm overly anxious and then there's always the people anxiety or not you just don't click with.

KiaKaha

Banned
No. But people dont generally respond particularly forthcoming with me - People dont seem to like me all that much - nor am I taken seriously.

Maybe its just all in my head, or maybe it doesnt matter.

Still doesnt mean that it doesnt hurt.

i know this isn't supposed to be funny but i nearly snorted laughing because i have the ever present "bitchy face" too! It seems if i don't go around with a smile plastered on my face, i look like a total bitch

:d i love your bitchy face vampyvamp

tumblr_m55hmkZm0k1qahewfo1_500.jpg

-------

Probably. When I was in school people complained that I always looked mad and then when I lightened up they complained that I was always smiling. **** them.

YES. When I act like "I don't give a f***", people ask me what's wrong or get offended. But when I smile and laugh they make fun of me and say I'm silly and treat me like a child.

You can't win, you just can't. Always doing something "wrong".

Minty

Yes, I think so. It's odd though. On one hand, they're intimidated because it's hard for them to read how I think of them, they're not getting that subconscious positive feedback in conversations from me...but on the other hand, even acquaintances will tell me that I have an innocent quality. To the point that they laugh if I use bad words. Wtf? I'm innocent, yet scary. Yay.

da_illest101

Very often, the media portrait black people as something scary or violent. Also because my face looks mean most of the time

lyricalliaisons

Apparently, yes. I don't know why except maybe because I'm 5'10"--tall for a female and have never been small, weight wise. I think that's a stupid reason myself, but I don't know what else it could be.
Some examples: At around 15, my friends mom told me to sit down because I was making her nervous and about four years ago before a group therapy thing I was forced into going to, one of the guys called me a bitch and all I was doing was standing there. One of the group leaders said it was because I was intimidating him.

It's upsetting to be told that I intimidate other people, because all I do is mind my own business. It's others that intimidate me.

Lemonheadzuccini

nope i cant say i ever intimidated anyone or been thought of as mean. people that have met me think im happy all the time and too energetic. When i met ex's mom the first thing she said about me was "she seems very friendly". If i went around with a bag of heads then would people take me serious?

Daniel089

some girls in elementary thought I am so dull, that I'm braindead or something, because I was just too shy to take part in anything. This scared some people away from me for sure.

chibiXphantom

idk about now, but in high school, most people were afraid of me. a guy in drama club came up to me at practice one night and told me i scare him. teachers were afraid of me. i heard all the time "Its always the quiet ones you gotta watch out for." people seemed to have the idea that because i was a loner i must want to come to school and kill everyone. i dont get it. im a nice person!

Very often, the media portrait black people as something scary or violent. Also because my face looks mean most of the time

Pretty much the same here. Though I kind of laugh when I'm walking towards someone at night and they immediately cross the street when they see me. But since I'm pretty short (5'6) I'm probably not as intimidating as some taller people.

Arthur

Pretty much the same here. Though I kind of laugh when I'm walking towards someone at night and they immediately cross the street when they see me.
I guess that is some form of racism though ? I wouldn't judge someone just because they are black..

Daniel089

idk about now, but in high school, most people were afraid of me. a guy in drama club came up to me at practice one night and told me i scare him. teachers were afraid of me. i heard all the time "Its always the quiet ones you gotta watch out for." people seemed to have the idea that because i was a loner i must want to come to school and kill everyone. i dont get it. im a nice person!

You have an extremely pretty face, I don't understand why anyone would be afraid of you. I was also a loner in high, but when I tried not to look like that, there was a risk that people might think I'm talking crazy, stupid things.