Anyone berate themseleves?

I get really hard on myself if I think I've said something stupid, or stuttered/stumbled over my words. I replay it in my head over and over..and think the other person thinks Im stupid or crazy. I haven't been on here in a while..but I've been starting to get these feelings again here and there. I was just wondering if you guys are hard on yourself over real or imagined blunders when trying to talk to people.

Bustn Justin

I do that alot too.

This week I took time off from work so I can work on feeling better about myself.

Normally i would beat myself up for anything and everything and at the end of the day just feel worthless.

Since I am alone for the most part this week I decided to read articles on building self confidence. As well do things that I want to to and not worry what other people think.

So far I want to find a hobby that interests me but haven't come accross that yet.

Hoppy

I call myself stupid for not telling other people they are stupid.

It tends to happen when I do not defend myself or my ideas.

Phoenixx

Yep, just as everyone else has already stated, I do it much more than I'd like. Heck, I'd like to not do it at all. That's is a lot easier said than done though.

psych

I analyze my workdays and interactions with people there to the point of nausea.
puke.gif

Then I snap to & realize I need to eat a handful of valerian root... Or take another ashwagandha, or 4 more theanine...
For the most part, I stopped allowing my free time to be littered with self abuse... Weird though, I do have to talk myself through it. Remind myself that I can't do "normal" without a little help.
Every so often I'll do a sort of denial...
Usually ends with me calling my best friend. Amazingly, he just allows me to rant & ramble until I come to realizations seemingly on my own. Like a zen amount of patience, it's surreal. Kind of thing that could only come from having known me for over 15 years.
I bet I'm totally annoying! ::p:

fedupoffear88

Yup! I do it all the time.. Eventhough I try to tell myself its not that bad, like OCD it just keeps on repeating itself in my mind!

Synth

A day in the life of ___________. It sucks living in your head so often - analyzing everything, all the time.

I used to do this so much and to a degree that it was affecting my life. It very rarely happens now and as a result I'm more willing to do things and make mistakes. I think after all the good I did for myself, I eventually earned my own respect. Do good things for yourself and do hard things for yourself.

Ditto.

I recently had an epiphany after a terribly embarrassing moment. I realized (after stressing and obsessing about it for a couple days after it happened) that mistakes/accidents/odd vocalizations/shenanigans are not as bad as I make them out to be.

I think that it is important to constantly challenge yourself to do new things, get into new environments with new people. (I know, it's easier said than done but.. at some point, you'll get there. I'm still working on it!) The more that you put yourself into situations and do things, the more you'll grow - and soon you will not get caught up in that negative loop!

Kiwong

It scares the crap put of me. Sometimes I can't sleep or eat after someone notices my anxiety. And my anxiety creates very real problems for me.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Since I am alone for the most part this week I decided to read articles on building self confidence. As well do things that I want to to and not worry what other people think.

So far I want to find a hobby that interests me but haven't come accross that yet.

Very good idea, having hobbies and activities that I like has helped me a lot to gain confidence :) Since I generally suck at work (or I think so), having hobbies in which your good makes it easier to let go when you fail at work or at life in general.

I used to do this so much and to a degree that it was affecting my life. It very rarely happens now and as a result I'm more willing to do things and make mistakes. I think after all the good I did for myself, I eventually earned my own respect. Do good things for yourself and do hard things for yourself.

Always be on guard for negative thoughts and harmful actions towards yourself because if you let them happen, you're telling your child he isnt worthy which feeds the negative parasite. remember that your child is completely vulnerable to harsh judgement and your sole duty is to protect him.

Very true and good advice :)

w*n*c*a*m

I get really hard on myself if I think I've said something stupid, or stuttered/stumbled over my words. I replay it in my head over and over..and think the other person thinks Im stupid or crazy. I haven't been on here in a while..but I've been starting to get these feelings again here and there. I was just wondering if you guys are hard on yourself over real or imagined blunders when trying to talk to people.

I used to be much worse when I was a student. I recall things that I did before I go to bed then I get anxious and frustrated over simple things that I did wrong, or any awkwardness that I've done. I don't know how I improved. Maybe I got used to blaming myself all the time. I still get anxious when I have flaws. It's just that I easily get over it now unlike before which takes weeks or a month before I move on.