An official SPW facebook group?

Official FB Group

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remus

Staff member
People keep suggesting this to me, an official SPW group on there. I noticed forums (SAS/SPW/SAUK) are becoming less popular now compared to FB groups. Though some FB anxiety groups can be quite volatile or poorly moderated.

Any thoughts?

Odo

Banned
I voted no... I probably shouldn't have because you can have it if you want, I'd just be worried about random people seeing my photos. I guess I could create a new account, but yeah I feel like on facebook there's less control and it's just generally not as good.

I like the anonymity of the forums... I don't think I would go to the facebook group at all. But then, that's just me... maybe the majority of other people wouldn't feel the same way.

Remus

Staff member
I voted no... I probably shouldn't have because you can have it if you want, I'd just be worried about random people seeing my photos. I guess I could create a new account, but yeah I feel like on facebook there's less control and it's just generally not as good.

I like the anonymity of the forums... I don't think I would go to the facebook group at all. But then, that's just me... maybe the majority of other people wouldn't feel the same way.

In a way I kind of agree with that. It's a balance I suppose. It would be a private group so no one outside the group would see any postings on your wall.

facebook thingy

I thought there was one already? It's probably the unofficial one that hellhound mentioned though. I actually don't know if it even exists anymore since I left it over a year ago. Just wasn't my thing, I felt like I didn't belong there and it definitely did seem cliquey. For some reason some of the posts annoyed me sometimes too, and the constant notifications didn't help either. I might join an "official" one to be more of a reader/lurker if it's created, but I'm just not really that into facebook groups in general.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Hum.

Problems.

First problem is that I sometimes add work-type people, and since I'm not in the habit of telling everyone my problems I don't like the idea of them being able to see I'm subscribed to [OMGCRAZYBRAINPROBLEMS] social phobia groups.

Second problem is that I too like anonymity. I've met too many nut-jobs on this site to be wanting to freely give my real name and real information to anyone who joins a group.

Third problem is that groups tend to be intrinsically cliquish. I'm a Marxist in that respect--""I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."

-Groucho Marx

coyote

Hum.

Problems.

First problem is that I sometimes add work-type people, and since I'm not in the habit of telling everyone my problems I don't like the idea of them being able to see I'm subscribed to [OMGCRAZYBRAINPROBLEMS] social phobia groups.

your friends and the public can't see the names of groups you belong to if they are private, closed, or secret

awkwardamanda

I really don't see the point of this. Why bother if you can just discuss stuff here? I don't use facebook anyway and if I did I wouldn't join. I like to stay anonymous on the internet. Strangers don't need to know my real name. I can't imagine any lurkers would want to join. It would probably just end up getting cliquey fast.

dottie

@nathaniel Summed it up.

FB complicates the world. This place is sufficient as it is. But if you make a group, that is your prerogative.

Srijita52

I'll be okay with it. I spend quite a few time in fb groups these days anyway. But
Hum.

Second problem is that I too like anonymity. I've met too many nut-jobs on this site to be wanting to freely give my real name and real information to anyone who joins a group.
this, I can risk letting those people to find out my location and identity and all that.

Last edited:

jellzzz

well, i don't know...i like the idea, but i whould want to be absolutely sure that NOBODY can see that im in it.

Luckylife

I'm unsure, firstly it sounds good but either friends / browsers will cast aspersions or they might think you are making it up. If you are willing to identify yourself as socially inadequate and declare this on a social 'forum' that is surely a contradiction of terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.