Am I the only one here who doesn't find themselves unattractive?

Am I the only person here who doesn't find themselves unattractive?

• Yes, you are

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • Yes, possibly

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • No, but only a few don't

Votes: 22 17.9%
  • I am not unattractive

Votes: 53 43.1%

• Total voters

Kiwong

I saw a photo of myself as a 21 year old today. At the time I had a poor self image, thought I was ugly. You know what? I wasn't bad looking. Maybe if I had more confidence, kept my hair tidier, wore less daggy clothes, I would've been alright looking. I wish I could go back in time and tell myself that, but I had no confidence.

At 47, I know that I am extremely fit at the moment. I get compliments about my legs, I've heard people say I look like a greyhound, and have nice legs. I'm doing better than a lot of 47 year old men I know. I feel as confident about my appearence as I have for many, many years.

Danfalc

Banned
I think BDD often goes hand in hand with depression,So I do believe that a lot of the people on this site do believe they are ugly or at least not attractive as they actually are.It's amazing how much your self esteem can distort your view of yourself.

I'm unsure of my looks,sometimes I think I look okay,on really good days if I get a compliment I might feel slightly good about myself but it usually short lived.I'm still surprised by compliments and they can take me off guard,while I don't think I'm unattractive,but I don't think I'm attractive either,I still dislike what I see in the mirror a lot of the time.

Kinetik

The majority of people seeking validation through lots of pictures are teenagers though. When I was a teen I thought I was heinous because girls weren't randomly phoning me and asking me out. I knew I was shy, but I didn't think that was a good enough reason for getting no dates. I simply thought "if you're hot, people always ask you out", without realizing any of the effort and social networking involved. I just didn't know how things worked, so I took it personally and found problems with myself. I made myself hideous in my mind, while at the same time having no friends and no avenues to meet girls, and that's a toxic, lonely combination. It was only later on that I realized you have to meet the world halfway to have some success. So on one hand it is annoying to see people posting pics while stating how ugly they are, but you also have to remember what stage of life they're at.

Last edited:

Waybuloo

The majority of people seeking validation through lots of pictures are teenagers though. When I was a teen I thought I was heinous because girls weren't randomly phoning me and asking me out. I knew I was shy, but I didn't think that was a good enough reason for getting no dates. I simply thought "if you're hot, people always ask you out", without realizing any of the effort and social networking involved. I just didn't know how things worked, so I took it personally and found problems with myself. I made myself hideous in my mind, while at the same time having no friends and no avenues to meet girls, and that's a toxic, lonely combination. It was only later on that I realized you have to meet the world halfway to have some success. So on one hand it is annoying to see people posting pics while stating how ugly they are, but you also have to remember what stage of life they're at.

I felt similar to what you said.

I don't find myself unattractive, and I know that certain people find me attractive. I have imperfections but i'm only hung up on one with OCD-tinged venom that makes me feel repulsive.

Ignace

Honestly, sometimes I think that some people just fish for compliments while others genuinely dislike their appearance. If there is anything I hate...it's people self-effacing or feigning modesty in order to get compliments. When a person does find themselves attractive, others don't seem to feel compelled to pay that person compliments. Not like they do when someone cries about how ugly they are.

No one here is "ugly" for Christ's sake. It takes a lot for a person to be ugly.

I do find myself attractive. Very much so the majority of the time, but I do have those moments where I feel plain or ugly. I rarely express the latter, but this remnant of my childhood does rear it's head from time to time and it's not pleasant. Sure, I'd be tempted to bitch about how ugly I feel in order to get some compliments, but that would make me feel cheap. I'd end up feeling even worse. I end up getting over it eventually and feel stupid for even getting myself down over this.

Kudos for admitting that you find yourself attractive!

I agree, a lot of people just fish for compliments. Then it's mostly not about this site, but people from other sites and in real life.
OT: When I wear nice clothes and without glasses and if my hair is ok, I feel fine. But with glasses I don't feel good. Atleast not with the glasses I wear now, I feel better with my new glasses but I get headaches from it.::(:

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Lots of women like bodyhair and...um, blood.
hyperboleandahalf said:
On that note, when trying to impress a woman, it is often helpful to call upon her ancient instincts. To show that you are a strong provider, sometimes it is necessary to kill things. Contrary to popular belief, this is real reason why women like flowers.
women9.png

women10.png

women10(alternate).png

hyperboleandahalf said:
Although she may not know it or openly acknowledge it, watching you use your powerful muscles to slay a living thing stimulates an ancient part of her brain associated with admiration and affection. She may appear to be horrified by your actions, but underneath that, there's a deep and growing respect for you. After all, it takes a lot more effort to kill an animal than it does to kill a stupid flower; Flowers don't run away and bleed all over the place while you're trying to kill them.

I love that blog. :D

mrb

hmmmmmm looks are in the eye of the beholder methinks ;) what is unattractive to some is attractive to others ;) now take a puppy , a pug puppy , now there weird looking puppys big bulging eyes ect ... but girls and blokes love em dont they :D see what i mean ......

Luke1993

Do you mean that you would feel arrogant openly admitting anything positive about yourself or is this only limited to physical appearance?

Most things I guess :confused: if I say I'm good at something I wouldn't want others to misinterpret me and think I'm arrogant and vain. I would say, "I like to think that I'm good at basketball." instead of saying, "I'm good at basketball." if that makes any sense?

Also, does this only apply to you or would you find others arrogant as well?

I don't like to admit to this but I would probably think of them as arrogant too, probably because I get really jealous sometimes of other peoples' successes. But this is something I'm trying to stop myself from doing because I know it's wrong!

In your opinion does arrogance lie in admittance or belief? Is it preferable to openly admit to finding oneself unattractive/ugly? Is this because it is less arrogant or because it's less threatening?

I don't really understand these questions sorry ::(: I'm not very smart.

mrb

Most things I guess :confused: if I say I'm good at something I wouldn't want others to misinterpret me and think I'm arrogant and vain. I would say, "I like to think that I'm good at basketball." instead of saying, "I'm good at basketball." if that makes any sense?

I don't like to admit to this but I would probably think of them as arrogant too, probably because I get really jealous sometimes of other peoples' successes. But this is something I'm trying to stop myself from doing because I know it's wrong!

I don't really understand these questions sorry ::(: I'm not very smart.

yes yes but what about the puppies :confused: no ones said anything about the puppies :confused:

mrb

i did i just kill the thread :confused: omg im a thread murderer :eek: ne na ne na cops come to arrest gazza :eek: right you 30 years no parole you thread killing murderer :eek:

Luke1993

No honestly I didn't understand the questions if I did I would've answered them! I wouldn't pretend not to understand them on purpose.