A question for the girls!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right I'm just going to set feminism back a few decades (again I like that I can do that and men can't)

-I like being a woman because

Nobody would look at me funny if I became a housewife
Nobody would look at me funny if I became an astronaut
Nobody would look at me funny if I did modelling
Nobody would look at me funny if I became a mathematician
Nobody would look at me funny if I became a CAO
Nobody would look at me funny if I became a pre-school teacher
Nobody would look at me funny if I became a dancer or a gymnast or a physicist or a nurse
Nobody would look at me funny if I made little porcelain flowers on a craft stall

I could do any number of different jobs without without people making assumptions about my sexuality.

I can wear skirts, dresses or jeans without being judged
I can wear makeup or not without being judged
I can wear my hair long or short and it doesn't mean anything
I can wear absolutely any colours I want, it doesn't mean anything
And I can watch any type of film I want and it doesn't mean anything either.

(Yes I know I'm old fashioned) but
I like having the door held open for me, I like having my chair pulled out at the table. I like that I am not expected to ask him out, I like that I can grow my nails and paint them pretty colours.

If women want sex, they don't need to look very far. But for men, they need to wine and dine and woo and employ a whole lot of charm and effort.

Women generally have more friends and keep in touch with them more often and for longer than men, especially as they head toward middle age. Men tend not to keep very close friends after a certain point. (yes there was a study)

I like the idea of having someone stronger than me there (yes I know I just set back feminism 100 years haha) I like that I can be scared and it's not judged, I like being the fairer sex. I like that I have girly hands so they fit into bigger hands. I like that I can wear an apron and bake and fuss about in the kitchen and match things and I like scatter cushions (you can never have enough) And I like interior design and I like the details and I like that I can like all of these things without people making assumptions about my sexuality

I like that people are less threatened by me and I am more approachable because I am a woman

And I like that I can wear tight jeans or short shorts or high heels or whatever I want and I have a much wider variety of shops to shop in.

There are plenty of things that I don't like about being a woman. Being a woman is really hard sometimes.

But anything worth doing is hard.

Nathália

I'm the over analytical meh/weird kid of the bunch.

Pros of being a woman: You have more time to gather yourself as soon as you hit adulthood. I am 19 a college drop out and no job. Imagine if I was a guy, how I would be judged?

Cons: There are so many cons of being a woman especially if you look at how women are treated in certian societies, I think I have it better than most women. Although I dislike the glamor aspect. I have a soft voice and I am shy I come off as a cuties wooties girl to most people and people try to take advantage of me because of that. I wish I was a man or a bigger woman with a deep voice so many people would not try me and assume that I am fragile and weak.

Men have to censor their creativity and worry about something being too feminine. I do not have to worry about if I come across as to manly with my drawings are writings. There is more personality allowed in women. We can watch whatever we want to watch on t.v and at the movies with out a man.

Imagine if a group of straight men walked into a premiere of sex and the city with out their girlfriends. Us girls can look at what whatever when want in packs and by ourselves.

We can be flamboyant and we can can be tough. Allow a guy to be flamboyant and he is going to get ostracized by society.

It bugs me when girls are scared of getting their hands dirty every once in a while and throw hissy a fit and go on a rampage about it. Girls are more spoiled than boys.

Last edited:

Aletheia

Nobody would look at me funny if I became a housewife

Well actually I'm not sure that that's true these days. Unless you have very small children you're expected to have a career, not least because that's often a financial necessity: two incomes to support a family.

I can wear absolutely any colours I want, it doesn't mean anything

My nephew told me yesterday that his favourite colour is pink, but that may be just because he associates it with girls; he's been holding hands with them already.

Men tend not to keep very close friends after a certain point. (yes there was a study)

Yeah, I've read this too, and it's a contributing factor to the higher incidence of depression amongst middle aged men as opposed to middle aged women. That said I've managed to shed almost all of my close friends, and I'm a girl.

I like that people are less threatened by me and I am more approachable because I am a woman

I've heard from a couple of guys than the mere presence of a female will lower the propensity to violence of a given situation; this can be a real asset for policewomen. (And one of my online black friends talked about women clutching their handbags tighter as he approached, which must be beyond suck.)

If women want sex, they don't need to look very far.

You just have to stop saying no.

I like that I have girly hands so they fit into bigger hands.

This. (God I love men's hands.)

MikeyC

I like the idea of having someone stronger than me there (yes I know I just set back feminism 100 years haha) I like that I can be scared and it's not judged, I like being the fairer sex. I like that I have girly hands so they fit into bigger hands. I like that I can wear an apron and bake and fuss about in the kitchen and match things and I like scatter cushions (you can never have enough) And I like interior design and I like the details and I like that I can like all of these things without people making assumptions about my sexuality

Men have to censor their creativity and worry about something being too feminine. I do not have to worry about if I come across as to manly with my drawings are writings. There is more personality allowed in women. We can watch whatever we want to watch on t.v and at the movies with out a man.
Great posts, both of you. As for the issue of sexuality, it's true that men are questioned if they enjoy pink and hair design. However, am I wrong in thinking that this is becoming less of a contentious issue than it used to be a few decades ago? Men are certainly questioned more, as it's more obvious, but I don't think it's as controversial these days.

Men are harnessing their more feminine side in the modern age, anyway. Crying is more acceptable and men seeking professional help for anything is seen as more normal. A man living in the early 20th century with any problems I have today would not make it.

If women want sex, they don't need to look very far. But for men, they need to wine and dine and woo and employ a whole lot of charm and effort.
Well, I'm out! ::p: But that's just how it is. It does take a fair amount of charm to have sex with a woman, but if the chemistry is right, it would turn out awesome.

However, these days, men don't have to work that hard as they used to. If we're just after a one-night-stand, we can go to a nightclub and try to pick someone up. As long as we look half-decent and are confident, we could pick up most nights. If we don't, there's always prostitutes. Seriously. So it's not all doom and gloom for us.

MikeyC

Well actually I'm not sure that that's true these days. Unless you have very small children you're expected to have a career, not least because that's often a financial necessity: two incomes to support a family.
I think it's still socially acceptable for women to be stay-at-home mums. That's how it's been for a long time and I think it'll remain that way in the future.

Stay-at-home dads are far less common and, seeing as men are historically seen as the "breadwinners," it can be emasculating. Plus the inevitable question of "what do you do?" can be awkward and unnerving.

I've heard from a couple of guys than the mere presence of a female will lower the propensity to violence of a given situation; this can be a real asset for policewomen. (And one of my online black friends talked about women clutching their handbags tighter as he approached, which must be beyond suck.)
That must very much suck for your friend. ::(:

I know there's a lot of double standards....but I think it only fair that we get away with more because we put up with a lot more.

And I'm not politically correct in my preferences but meh that's just the way it is, life's not fair hahaha and double standards kind of put things slightly (I said slightly, we still have it a lot tougher) back in balance

I like to be feminine one and I like my men to be men and not spend more time in the bathroom than I do.

MikeyC

I know there's a lot of double standards....but I think it only fair that we get away with more because we put up with a lot more.
Very, very true.

I like to be feminine one and I like my men to be men and not spend more time in the bathroom than I do.
"Hang on, honey, I'm just fixing my hair. I'll be out in an hour!"

MikeyC

hahaha yes this, this is like an epidemic!!!!

Whatever happened to guys being guys and being hairy and slightly scruffy?
And not having an extended skin care routine?
I'm like that. I can be ready to go out in 5 minutes flat.

Although deodorant is a necessity! ::p:

Aletheia

I think it's still socially acceptable for women to be stay-at-home mums. That's how it's been for a long time and I think it'll remain that way in the future.

Maybe it's just the circles I move in.

But seriously, if you stay at home for more than a year, it can start really jeopardizing your career.

Stay-at-home dads are far less common and, seeing as men are historically seen as the "breadwinners," it can be emasculating.

I do know a couple who are taking turns, a year and a year about. It was his turn when I met them.

But I also realize that while the erosion of gender roles has granted women fantastic and rightful opportunities, it has led people, especially men, to wonder just what their role is now. (Susan Faludi's Stiffed: The Betrayal of the American Man touches on this a lot.)

Plus the inevitable question of "what do you do?" can be awkward and unnerving.

This is my nightmare question and I'm female. It's a major factor in my hermiting, I find it so difficult.

Last edited:

Aletheia

Well I happen to like metrosexuals.

But I also like beards, depending on the guy; go figure.

I have really mixed feelings about the increasing pressure on guys these days to live up to some arbitrary ideal of beauty. On on the one hand there is a bit of me that goes yes! fairness finally. And if it leads guys to taking better care of themselves that's no bad thing.

But it seems so sad that we all, women and men, are encouraged to feel terrible about our bodies because we can't attain airbrushed perfection.

MikeyC

Maybe it's just the circles I move in.

But seriously, if you stay at home for more than a year, it can start really jeopardizing your career.
Yes, that's true. I did nothing for 11 months after school and now there's an ugly empty space that engulfs 2004. It'll be hard to explain to future employers.

But I also realize that while the erosion of gender roles has granted women fantastic and rightful opportunities, it has led people, especially men, to wonder just what their role is now. (Susan Faludi's Stiffed: The Betrayal of the American Man touches on this a lot.)
That looks like an interesting book, actually. It's impossible to blame women for this kind of equality, though. Us men will be okay. :)

This is my nightmare question and I'm female. It's a major factor in my hermiting, I find it so difficult.
I can't stand it, either. I hate telling people my job because I feel like they'll judge me for it, and that my entire worth is based on my work. I'd rather just not be asked. Sorry to hear that's a major factor in you not going out, though. ::(:

MikeyC

But it seems so sad that we all, women and men, are encouraged to feel terrible about our bodies because we can't attain airbrushed perfection.
While men are under pressure to be full of muscles (abs, pecks, biceps, triceps) and be toned and shaved and tall, women certainly have it a lot worse, and I do feel the media picks on women far too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.