A question for the girls!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moa

What is your favorite thing about being a girl?

I ask because I am trying to change my perspective. I've always hated being a girl and wished I was a guy. I can think of lots of negative things about being a girl, but I have a hard time thinking of positives and could use a little help.

Giving birth/motherhood is not an option for me, so if that's the #1 answer, I'm out of luck, LOL.

razzle dazzle rose

This is probably a cliche answer, but what I love about being a girl is the makeup and the dresses. I have so much fun with both that I cannot imagine not being able to wear either ::p:
Giving birth/motherhood is not an option for me, so if that's the #1 answer, I'm out of luck, LOL.

Oh, I know! It annoys me when women say that their life had meaning once they became mothers. But maybe that is because I am not a mother yet so I don't understand, hmmm. I am still not sure if I want children. I seem to want children for all the wrong reasons...like buying baby clothes. LOL...I like the baby clothes...but if that is really why I want a baby I should stick with my dolls and playing dress up with them. I sound like I am 8 years old don't I? Ahhh...

Silatuyok

I ask because I am trying to change my perspective. I've always hated being a girl and wished I was a guy. I can think of lots of negative things about being a girl, but I have a hard time thinking of positives and could use a little help.

Why do you think being a guy is better? I can't think of any specific reasons why being a girl is better than being a guy, but I can't think of any reasons why being a guy would be better.

emre43

Why do you think being a guy is better? I can't think of any specific reasons why being a girl is better than being a guy, but I can't think of any reasons why being a guy would be better.

From a male perspective I would hate to be a woman; I'd have to go through childbirth; I'm much happier as a man.

Moa

This is probably a cliche answer, but what I love about being a girl is the makeup and the dresses. I have so much fun with both that I cannot imagine not being able to wear either ::p:

I first thought of how much fun I had getting my nails done last Friday, but then I thought of how trivial that is! Besides I can't afford to do it all the time anyway, lol. I don't know, I feel like there's something big and magical that should make me feel empowered to be a woman, but that I'm missing out on it or something.

Oh, I know! It annoys me when women say that their life had meaning once they became mothers. But maybe that is because I am not a mother yet so I don't understand, hmmm. I am still not sure if I want children. I seem to want children for all the wrong reasons...like buying baby clothes. LOL...I like the baby clothes...but if that is really why I want a baby I should stick with my dolls and playing dress up with them. I sound like I am 8 years old don't I? Ahhh...

I've always known I didn't want kids, maybe because at a young age I learned that I wasn't able to have any. Either way when you think about it, bearing and raising children is only about a third of a woman's life, so what is so wonderful about the other two thirds? Surely there is something... right? :)

Well...

Men don't have to deal with getting their period and all the hormonal "fun" that goes with it.
Men don't deal with sexual harassment nearly as much as women do.
Women earn something like $0.80 for every $1.00 that men make, even in this "modern" society where women supposedly have equality.
Women are physically scrutinized by both men and women, and are still generally expected to attain the societal ideal of being thin and beautiful.
Women tend to have less physical strength than men.
Men run pretty much everything... there are very few fields that are dominated by women.
Men seem to treat each other better than women treat other women (that one is just a personal observation, I can't prove that one).

That's all that comes to mind for now, but I guess that gets my point across.

MikeyC

Oh, I know! It annoys me when women say that their life had meaning once they became mothers.
I know a few women who say that...so maybe there's some truth to it. Having your own child grow inside of you for 9 months would create a better bond than with any father.

No menstruation and/or childbirth are good reasons for me. :)

I will admit that both genders have their advantages and pitfalls.

I have always hated being a girl and wished I was born a guy.
It is great to read that there are other girls who feel the same.

I could list many more reasons why (other then whats been listed above) but I did not get any sleep last night, so I may have to come back to this thread another day.

MikeyC

Men don't have to deal with getting their period and all the hormonal "fun" that goes with it.
I have heard men get something similar once a year...not sure how much stock is in that, though.

True, and that sickens me.

Women earn something like $0.80 for every $1.00 that men make, even in this "modern" society where women supposedly have equality.
This also sickens me. I have absolutely no idea why such an obsolete and sexist thing still exists in 2011. If a man and a woman are both doing the exact same job, they deserve to have the exact same pay. No arguments.

Women are physically scrutinized by both men and women, and are still generally expected to attain the societal ideal of being thin and beautiful.
True, but I would also argue than men have a social standard for having a muscular body with pecks, abs, and all that. Women definitely do have it worse, though.

Can't help that, that's just genetics. You could take steroids. :D

Men run pretty much everything... there are very few fields that are dominated by women.
Yeah, this sucks, too.

Men seem to treat each other better than women treat other women (that one is just a personal observation, I can't prove that one).
I've heard this, too. I know a couple of women who say they hate other women. I've never heard any guy say that about other guys (although I have that thought sometimes).

Silatuyok

Well...

That's all that comes to mind for now, but I guess that gets my point across.

Well....women can experience multiple orgasms. Case closed? :cool:

MikeyC

I don't menstruate if I don't want to and I don't plan to have any children. Birth control is a wonderful, wonderful thing.
No side-effects? And while birth control is great, it's women that have to take it.

Well....women can experience multiple orgasms. Case closed? :cool:
Depends if the guy is any good (I certainly won't be). ;)

If guys could have multiple orgasms, we would never leave our rooms and tissue companies would be multi-millionaires. :D

Silatuyok

Depends if the guy is any good (I certainly won't be). ;)

I like to think that it depends if the girl is any good. Yeah, the guy helps, but as far as I'm concerned a woman is responsible for her own orgasms. (sorry, didn't mean to derail this thread into the gutter ::p:)

Aletheia

Susan Faludi's Stiffed is worth the read

I will admit that both genders have their advantages and pitfalls.

When I was nine, my mother went to complete her degree in another city, which left my father having to take up the childcare slack. He hired someone to look after us after school, but he still had to be away from work promptly to pick us up, and look after us if we fell ill. He was a senior civil servant (high up in the Treasury) and work cut him absolutely no slack whatsoever, in fact he was given a hard time about it.

(Admittedly, things on that front are changing. My brother got more paternity leave than his wife did maternity. And she's a midwife! You'd think she'd have been able take the time as vocational training.)

Status
Not open for further replies.