A Place to Introduce Yourself

Nothingness

Hello,
I'm a 46 year old loner with SAD from Winchester, Virginia. I also suffer from PTSD, Depression and when really stressed Schizophrenia! I'm not currently under a therapist. I cope with it through meditation and Thozine.
I live alone with a cat named "Pooh" and I raise rabbits for fun. In fact, My doe just had a littler last night. When they start running around I'll post pics.
I like to garden in the summer and cut firewood in the fall. I like to fish and I enjoy nature. Wanna know more ask?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. I'm a 26-year-old guy from the US. I've struggled with shyness all my life. I've recently become more dedicated to overcoming it. I'm looking forward to reading others' stories and sharing what I've learned about myself and this condition. We can beat this if we all help each other.

coyote

Hi. I'm a 26-year-old guy from the US. I've struggled with shyness all my life. I've recently become more dedicated to overcoming it. I'm looking forward to reading others' stories and sharing what I've learned about myself and this condition. We can beat this if we all help each other.

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Gee-Em-Vee

The first time I saw this forum, I really wanted to register, but I've been hesitating, how's that for social phobia? I couldn't even easily join an internet forum for people like me. ::eek::

When I finally decided to register earlier, I thought I was rejected, I didn't know that the account activation would take that long. ::p:

I'll try to tell more about myself as soon as I feel a bit more comfortable.

Phraxdust

Hi everyone.
I (like many of you i'm sure) have been reading the forums for about a month before I actually decided to register.
I am 19 and have been suffering from social phobia from the start of high school. It has got progressively worse over the years and now it is the worst it has ever been.
I finished college almost half a year ago and haven't been able to find a job. Since finishing college my SA has reached new levels I didn't think possible.
Hopefully I will get a job soon and I will get a bit more comfortable around people.
Hope to be seeing you.

Outlander

Hi all.

Let me introduce myself. I am 32 years old guy. I've been shy all my life, but when I was a teenager, I became quite insecure. Although shyness never stopped me, insecurity did it. It blocked several aspects of my life, so I became unable to hold a conversation without hindrance or enjoy social events.

In 2006 I was stuck at home for six months without talking to almost anyone. Depressed and discouraged. But somehow I got over it, somehow.

That was a long time ago. I'm not so insecure as those days. My life isn't so bad like then, but I rarely try new things. I go out every day but I tend to isolation. I avoid family gatherings, my friends circle it's zero. Don't talk about have a girlfriend.

I made my account earlier this year, I think. But I decided it was time to start participating. I reiterate my greetings to all and would like to thank the creators of this site.

:)

PD: Sorry for my bad english.

Last edited:

DeadmanWalking

Hi all.

Let me introduce myself. I am 32 years old guy. I've been shy all my life, but when I was a teenager, I became quite insecure. Although shyness never stopped me, insecurity did it. It blocked several aspects of my life, so I became unable to hold a conversation without hindrance or enjoy social events.

In 2006 I was stuck at home for six months without talking to almost anyone. Depressed and discouraged. But somehow I got over it, somehow.

That was a long time ago. I'm not so insecure as those days. My life isn't so bad like then, but I rarely try new things. I go out every day but I tend to isolation. I avoid family gatherings, my friends circle it's zero. Don't talk about have a girlfriend.

I made my account earlier this year, I think. But I decided it was time to start participating. I reiterate my greetings to all and would like to thank the creators of this site.

:)

PD: Sorry for my bad english.

Yo Outlander! Welcome to SPW:D! Your English isn't bad, so don't worry about it! I'm sure you'll find some new friends, out in the real world and on here, and we'll be sure to help you every step of the way!

CJW

Hello All,

Just wanted to say HI and introduce myself a bit. I'm 35 and I've lived in SF for the past 6 years after growing up in upstate NY. I've been shy for as long as I can remember, and I've avoided so much in my life because of a fear of embarrassment. I think it's really starting to add up now and take a toll on me.

Back in grade school I started avoiding social situations, and it's really never stopped since. However, when I was in high school I had a great group of friends and when I was in comfortable situations my personality blossomed, but I really haven't evolved much since then. I hate meeting new people, because I always act like such a dork. Sweaty hands, facial blushing, incomplete thoughts, just general awkwardness gets in my way. I rarely ever try new things and live a pretty boring existence.

My education and now my occupation is a direct result of this problem, and I think it's time for me to seek help before it's too late. I could probably do a lot of things, but because of my lack of confidence, reliance on negative thoughts, general laziness, and drug use(mostly cannabis) I've always had labor jobs like landscaping and carpentry that don't require much in terms of being social. I went to college for landscape contracting, and although I did well and had good grades I quit after 2 years and don't have much to show for it now. I've been a grower for cannabis dispensaries in SF for the past couple of years, and as much as I love it I also don't like the negative aspects associated with it. Unfortunately I must make a change now, and I'm scared not knowing what the heck I'm going to do with myself. It is the reason I'm seeking help with my problem, so I suppose it's a good thing. I was in the Carpenters Union in NY, and I still pay dues, so I'm going to try and transfer out here, but with the economy who knows how that will work out. I could be out of work for months before my name gets called. I feel like I should go back to school though and get a better education and a better life, but I don't think I can deal with it all. Plus I'm friggin' 35! I'm starting to feel like a complete failure because of it, and the depression from it is weighing heavily on me.

I've been with my high school sweetheart, on and off, for 18 years. We've been engaged for 3 years now, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere, and I feel like I'm holding her back from having a family. She also suffers from social phobias, but she at least tries a lot harder at life than I do. I feel guilty for not being able to improve her life. We're at the age where it's now or never, but I'm currently unemployed and I'd much rather sit back, smoke a joint and play video games.

I am starting to make strides though. I smoked(cigs) a pack a day since my late teens, and I quit a year and eight months ago. I also stopped smoking cannabis earlier this week for the first time in a couple years. Passing a drug test for the Union is my main motivation on that, but I've been itching for a change lately. I think I'm going to join a gym and start working out a bit too. I really want to make a change in my life and conquer my social phobias, but I don't know how and I'm afraid my laziness will get in the way of a long term solution.

Anyways, sorry for rambling, but it just feels good to get this off my chest. I'm so glad I found this site the other night and I've found comfort in reading others stories. Glad to be here and hope you'll welcome me. I'm looking for some motivation and maybe a swift kick in the rear to get me going.

Cheers, and happy holidays, I guess

MikeyC

Welcome, CJW. Good for you for trying to change. Nothing wrong with landscaping and carpentry - very good jobs there - but you're right, the economy sucks so it's difficult to know about the right decision.

Greetings and enjoy your time here, mate. :)

Shiny shadow

Hi! It took me a while to admit that I have a SA. I never felt good in groups of 3 people or more, that I know well. Can't dance in public can't sing... I can go to club, but i would just sit a drink... Even if girl looks at me and smiles and give all the signals, I can't ask her to dance or even talk. I just feel uncomfortable and hate my self about it. I have somewhat dangerous occupation; for me it's easier to jump out of airplane then talk to a random girl. I guess it's still makes me a coward.

OMACtivate

Hi, I've found this forum recently having realized my SA over the last year, though it has actually been with me over the last 10-12 years of my life. I can't hold a regular conversation in social settings, especially with sensory overload and never really got over it. I'm not sure just quite what I need to do differently, but I'm thankful I found this forum for answers.

chipndip

hello I'm kinda new here, I use to think that being socially awkward was rare, but that was until I found out about this community and found that there are a lot of anti-social weirdos out there. I'm not sure if it makes me feel better or worse:)

Shyangel

Welcome, Shiny, OMA, Chip, and, Nouveau.

I'm happy to have new people with new experiences join our forum. Let's have some fun!

I'm very new myself.