10 Day Computer/TV Free Challenge

EscapeArtist

probably been done before!! (insert prissy-girl hair flip here)

Anybody try quitting any technology that serves as artificial socialization?? (Not including cell phones because they connect you to real people to make plans with real people).

Starting to wonder if the main enabler for withdrawal from life is technology. Not just for me but the majority.

I was watching a True Life episode about people who had 2nd lives on the internet (whether it was video game addiction, or talking to strangers online). Even though it wasn't about people who had anxiety, they ALL had social anxiety because they were used to internet chat, had their social outlet and didn't have to go out much.

Obviously this can play both ways, you go online more if you're anxious in real life, OR you become more anxious in real life because you're in techno world more.

It is obvious to my family that I have an addiction to it, pretty harsh one at that. I am on the computer or TV practically all day and the reason is because I don't like being alone. The computer and TV make me feel like I'm not alone. I am guessing that if I were to go without technology, I'd feel so alone and desperate for company that I would look at socialization in a more opportunistic kind of way. The kind of way that other people do, not in a picky "Do I really want to be around anybody right now? Or would I rather stay in fantasy tech world" wishy washy way. When did this strong addiction start? Well, childhood, really. Thanks gameboy >: ( *sues gameboy*. But it got out of hand and distant from reality after I dropped out and became a recluse, I wouldn't go to school but instead hide in the computer from it.

Anybody want to try a computer and television ban with me, a 10 day Challenge.

You will be still be able to check your hotmail or, if you don't have a phone like me, contact people to hang out through facebook. But no surfing, no chatting to people who you don't know in real life.

This is just an experiment to see whether the social energy you output via technology can create a need so strong that it motivates you in your own life. I'm starting today (turning 20 today so might as well try and change something) so I won't see your replies, darnit! But I will come back and read your experience after the 10 days.

Last edited:

foyle

Sadly, internet is my last resort to connect with the world. If I quit, I will feel even more lonely.

squidgee

Advance congratulations for making it through your 10 day computer/TV free challenge (if you manage to do so). I'm not sure if I would have the willpower to do the same.

MikeyC

Good luck with your challenge, Escape. I hope it works out and you feel a lot happier after it's done.

And happy birthday. :)

Phoenixx

Thanks gameboy >: ( *sues gameboy*.
^ Admit it. You couldn't resist trying so hard to become the Pokemon Champion and fill up your Pokedex. ;)
Actually I have no idea if you played Pokemon or not, but that's what most of my childhood Gameboy times were spent doing. :p

This seems like a pretty good plan, but I definitely could not do 10 days, especially on both the computer and television. Well, the television thing doesn't totally bother me, since I barely watch tv now anyway. I only watch a couple tv shows at most, and sometimes I'll watch a movie or two if I really take the time to catch them on tv. I'm totally addicted to the computer though since I can easily spend hours at a time on here. I could definitely use a break, but I don't think I could keep off for over a day.

I did happen to do something kind of similar during last semester at college though, but mostly for productivity, not so much to grow socially -- although I kind of tried to do that too. To focus on my studies more I took myself off from here and Facebook. Only checked my e-mail, read my daily websites (comics and news mostly :p), and stayed on Tumblr since I use that as my little personal space to clear my head and rant and reblog things of interest. I also tried not to take my laptop to school everyday to hide in it. Instead I tried taking a book with me, or my homework, and I would try to sit in the more "social" areas on campus even though I was anxious about it. While I couldn't exactly bring myself to strike up a conversation with anyone, I had a few people talk to me. That's a few people more than what I used to get. The entire semester before, I hid with my computer in the library and barely talked to anyone. The whole social thing didn't last long this semester though. After a while it became too much and I went right back to hanging out in the library again. However, the whole productivity was a success. Got better grades and didn't feel so distracted while doing work or in classes. I plan on doing that hiatus again this semester too once it starts going.

Oh and happy birthday! :) I hope it was good!

chris11

In all honesty, I think that it's a good idea. Maybe not communicating with people on line is a good means of creating pressure to get you try to socialize with people in real life. But, if you don't really have a lot of people to socialize with, in person, the internet could be a decent substitute--esepecially if you think that you're not yet ready to approach people to become friends with.

People can, and do, become too dependent upon online interactions--especially when they have an anxiety disorder. However, at least it is some kind of social interaction, that could, perhaps, turn into social interaction of a more traditional, and healthy, form.

WishingICould

I didn't go on Facebook for 2 weeks. I must say, I felt a hell of a lot better. Sadly, I'm back to using it but that's only because I keep in touch with my family and a few other people. I try not to go on there for too long. I just check my messages and log off. Good luck with your challenge.

gustavofring

Good luck with this.

The computer is such a time waster for me but to go fully without is a bit drastic. I need some more discipline though for sure.

razzle dazzle rose

I agree about technology making it easier for people like us to avoid socializing and procrastinate. Still, I don't think I can stay away from my computer for too long. I use it for too many things (some important). I don't chat nearly as much as I used to though; and I quit Facebook two months ago (one of the best things I have done!!!) And at least I don't have mobile web browsing ;) Good luck to those of you participating in the challenge! :)

gazelle

OK! Back from the 10 day challenge... first of all I'd like to admit that I did have a few setbacks and there were also a few things that I actually did need to get done on the computer ,anyhow, the amount of time I spent on the computer and TV was much much less during the past 10 days and as for the effects, they were positive.
However it didn't exactly push me towards having to interact more with people in real life, but there was a big difference in my energy levels which lead to better quality communication with people in real life.
Another thing was that my days were much more productive, the time and energy that would usually get wasted on mostly the computer (or TV) was mostly channeled into getting things done which was indeed beneficial... It would be nice if this challenge could be done again and I'm also waiting to hear what the OP has to say about the experience.

MikeyC

OK! Back from the 10 day challenge... first of all I'd like to admit that I did have a few setbacks and there were also a few things that I actually did need to get done on the computer ,anyhow, the amount of time I spent on the computer and TV was much much less during the past 10 days and as for the effects, they were positive.
However it didn't exactly push me towards having to interact more with people in real life, but there was a big difference in my energy levels which lead to better quality communication with people in real life.
Another thing was that my days were much more productive, the time and energy that would usually get wasted on mostly the computer (or TV) was mostly channeled into getting things done which was indeed beneficial... It would be nice if this challenge could be done again and I'm also waiting to hear what the OP has to say about the experience.
Getting away from the computer and its flashing lights and dazzling colours can only do you good. I'm glad to hear it was successful for you. :)

EscapeArtist

Yay Gazelle!! Nice work.

10 days was too much too soon. Was harder than I expected it to be! I lasted I think, 4. I think this is the kind of thing that needs to be gradual. Start with 1 day a week or something, or limit the amount of hours. More importantly, try adding things to your day rather than subtracting. Adding will naturally subtract. I guess this is a legit addiction, because without the internet I naturally took up other stress-managing habits in the evening like eating for fun and comfort, which seems more damaging.

Even for those 4 days I had to come up with more creative ways to keep busy which was cool. I got a whole bunch of books to read. I started trying to broaden my vocabulary by learning 10 dictionary words a day. I got more studying and cleaning done. Also I did feel way more lonely, and jealous of my sister once when she had friends over which is really weird. I even hung out with one of them for a bit because I was bored, so that says something. You appreciate people more when you have nothing socially to do. So the next goal is just going to be to start building on a routine that will take up most of the daytime, so that I am on a roll enough to not have as much computer hours.

gazelle

Escape! If it was your first time doing this, then no worries, 4 days is also good.
You make a point there, if you don't have anything to do to replace your time on the computer boredom and loneliness if not worse, can't be good either. As long a you've realized the benefits and the steps that you might have needed to take before doing this , since you're willing to do this again, you're still on track!

springk

Good luck guys who are up for the challenge!

personally, i m totally an addict. I dont have friends in real life, not close friends to whom i can tell what i really feel..
So the only option is online , but i m beginning to realise that i cannot even have online friends.
Reason: i m too boring ; i dont have anything to talk.

The challenge is to use the energy in real life to make changes.
I spend whatever free time i have on internet.
I need something in real life to take my attention from online and it will be a tough task..cos irl sucks at least in my case.
I come to conclusion..cant take such challenge but yes i can at least try though i know what the result will be of such endeavour.

Klonoa

Don't wanna, don't wanna...

I think I could do it, but given the situation here in Mexico (I don't think I have to go on full detail), them internets and the ocassional movie on TV are all I got left.