You okay?

Metal_isthe_Answer

Anyone else get that question from other people?
Im walking from the kitchen to my room, my dad says "you alright?" I say "yeah...why?" he responds "well I just thought you were mad about something"

I wasnt in any kind of bad mood until someone asked me if I was, now Im pissed because people think Im pissed when I was perfectly fine, anyone have similar situations?

Phoenixx

Yeah I get this pretty often too. And yes, it does piss me off when people think I'm pissed when I'm perfectly fine, lol.

fitftw

oh man this thread makes me happy. Used to happen to me when I lived at home too. My mom always thought I was depressed or mad. That's just my facial expression I guess, and I don't talk much and I stay around the house all day.

simpsons2007

Are you all alright? Lol

Yes I get it all the time from family they constantly asking how are you or do you feel better today and it p's me off. They still ask these questions even if I see them twice in one day or when I see them a few days apart. As if I'm going to feel better or any different in a few hrs or a couple days.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Yes, definitely. My mother has asked me this question all the time, and has been for years.

I wasnt in any kind of bad mood until someone asked me if I was, now Im pissed because people think Im pissed when I was perfectly fine, anyone have similar situations?

lol are you sure you don't have an anger problem?

Actually it is very common for this question to put people in a bad mood. A lot of times when someone asks "Are you okay" the other person thinks "yes...why do I not seem okay? Is there something wrong with me? Should I not be okay right now?" Most people don't ask the question out of the blue, so the questioned person assumes there is some reason why they are being asked, and this (usually unknown) reason puts them into a bad mood.

Feathers

lol I think there have been threads like this before, maybe do a search if you are interested..

I think there's nothing wrong with being asked if it's genuine and if the person is someone you can trust and confide in, if they are someone who'd freak out or start suggesting things that you wouldn't like etc or nag or 'advise' too much so that it would be uncomfortable, yeah, then it could be awkward.. If they just expect a 'yeah' in order to feel better and don't want or wouldn't be capable of genuine communication, then yeah.. I sympathize..

Maybe people sometimes feel guilty or don't know what to say, so they just say the 'fillers' just to say something.. (my dad can be like that) Then they may think they did their parental obligations or whatever.. :) Maybe sometimes they are also just bored and may want some attention.. (so maybe you can turn it around and ask about them, how their day went etc?)

I think if you're genuinely happy/feel good, you can often just shrug off or laugh off stuff like this.. If you're sort of half-half (and it's maybe early in the morning), it can go either way...

Metal, maybe you listen to too much metal? :) And the siggy doesn't seem particularly cheerful eh?
We can have different standards of what is 'fine' and other people can see us differently.. my mum frowns a lot and I often think she's in a really bad mood even if she says she isn't, so hmm.. (she's had some anemia so that may be a factor too..)

You could maybe also just say something joking like, 'Nah, just practising my 'evil eye'' or something.-..? :) Depends who you can say it to hehe.. (if parents are super-religious maybe not :))

MrJones

You okay? Is there something wrong? Why so serious?

I appreciate that people cares about me, but I don't like these kind of questions.

Metal, maybe you listen to too much metal? :) And the siggy doesn't seem particularly cheerful eh?

I was about to say that this is not important, but then I started remembering... when I was 14-17 I was listening to metal music all the time (Maiden, Priest, Metallica, Sabbath, etc.) and they were my worst years. Maybe coincidence, but I feel better now :)

Deus_Ex_Lemur

I appreciate them caring but it is annoying but then one should be so fortunate someone cares enough to even asks that question; many ppl never hear those words asked to them. =) (still, annoying! =D I think for me it's in my head, interpretating it as feeling a sense of shame when asked it... like they sense some sort of weakness, or you feel weak and guilty and are a let down when asked, "are you okay? You alright? How are you feeling?" Just reminds you of what's wrong with you. When really it's just concern.

Last edited:

caringsoul

Banned
i get that, its because i have a sad face.. but im fine.

i dont know why but this cashier in this shop was mad at my sad face, and accused me for being sad, when i said im not, and he said you are. with an angry expression, forcing me to admit i am sad. he was a weird person. i said im not.

also this other person at the train station, he works there, i wanted to get out of the station and he asked me, are you okay? ... with a sad face.. and i said im fine, thx. and he said you look tired, like hes so worried.. and i said its becos its morning, i just woke up.. its like he wouldnt let me go until i explain myself..

i also get random strangers walking down the street telling me to cheer up. when im fine. i dont know why they say that when its not genuine, they dont even knw me.

i cant go around with a grin on my face, because it looks weird, and no one normal does that.

i appreciate it if its genuine.. just some people dont actually care.

coyote

i get that, its because i have a sad face.. but im fine....

...i cant go around with a grin on my face, because it looks weird, and no one normal does that....

but, you see...

"no one normal" goes around with a sad face either, because it also looks weird

so that's why people ask if you're ok

caringsoul

Banned
but, you see...

"no one normal" goes around with a sad face either, because it also looks weird

so that's why people ask if you're ok

i guess so, i wont say its a sad face, its more like my natural facial expression which is sad looking. maybe i should lift my cheeks up just a bit so it looks a bit neutral.

Last edited:

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
i guess so, i wont say its a sad face, its more like my natural facial expression which is sad looking. maybe i should lift my cheeks up just a bit.

fake-smile-guy.jpg

Minty

Yeah, I get that all the time. It's weird that they're finding emotions in me that I wasn't even feeling. Maybe it's projection? Or insecurity? My sister is very insecure and she thinks everyone is always mad at her.

Or, you know, maybe I am mad all the time. Or upset. I'm just so used to the feeling that I don't even recognize it anymore but everyone else does.

MrJones

Or maybe you listened to Priest, Sabbath and Maiden because you were having a hard time. My life revolved around these groups when I was the same age but I listened to the music because it was the only relief I had during those hellish years....a life saver to me. I don't listen to metal as much anymore but I do still enjoy it from time to time.

Mmmm, maybe you're right, but certainly listening to sad songs doesn't help when you're depressed and listening to "angry music" (why everytime I think about it Slipknot comes to me? :D) probably is not helping with your mood.

Heekaru

I like this question actually.. I see it as another way of asking "How are you?", unless its from someone I dont know personally then it would be offensive.

Last edited: