You okay?

MrJones

IMO there is a huge difference between Sabbath and Priest VS Deicide and Slayer...(or any group that uses an angry growling possessed voice for vocals.) The latter two groups are typically for angry people (I think it's funny that the lead singer of Slayer is a catholic!) But Priest and Sabbath, come on, that is just good music!

But, I do understand that metal may affect some people more then others. I saw a study on TV not too long ago that said that teenagers who listen to metal are more likely to suffer from depression. The catch was, no one knew if the music caused the depression or if the depression caused the teen to prefer metal. It's the old chicken or egg deal.

For me, depression came first...then metal.

lol think you're right again

I guess I should start calling you Sensei :D

Phoenixx

But, I do understand that metal may affect some people more then others. I saw a study on TV not too long ago that said that teenagers who listen to metal are more likely to suffer from depression. The catch was, no one knew if the music caused the depression or if the depression caused the teen to prefer metal. It's the old chicken or egg deal.

For me, depression came first...then metal.
^ That's really interesting. I'm also the same, the depression came first and then listening to metal. But even when I'm happy I listen to it, just not as often.

Anyone else get that question from other people?
Im walking from the kitchen to my room, my dad says "you alright?" I say "yeah...why?" he responds "well I just thought you were mad about something"

I wasnt in any kind of bad mood until someone asked me if I was, now Im pissed because people think Im pissed when I was perfectly fine, anyone have similar situations?

I got this the other day at work, I think I had a worried face at the time

Section_31

I do this alot to my wife, mainly because shes quiet when something IS bothering her, but then alot of the time she jsut is quiet in general. Most of the time i can read her but not always.

I drive her nuts with this as well!

No one ask me that. That means that or I'm pretty good at hiding when I have troubles and/or nobody really cares about me.

MoniqueNS

Banned
O my god, my mom will see me and instantly ask, "have you been crying??" and I haven't even been. Its so annoying! But in all fairness, I do cry a lot when I'm depressed.

EscapeArtist

I think I already replied to this one lol but I'm tempted to reply again!!!
Gosh I hate the 'You okay??"
Well I don't mind it if I'm genuinely not okay, but there is an individual who asks me that all the time! Like, twice a day when we're around. And it's normally when I'm feeling pretty damn good hence why I have the energy to talk to this individual.... But I realize it is because he/she is ALWAYS talking and there is no off button for this person's energy, and so when I'm able to pause in conversation and enjoy the surrounding he/she sees that as an energy shut down of some sort. I think...

Feathers

hehe Escape, or maybe he's sensing your anti-talkative 'vibes' (saying 'shut up' please) and wondering if there's sth wrong with you lol!! (some talkative people don't recognize it if they're being annoying and some shy people are too polite to tell!!)

Maybe you could even straight out say you need some peace (sometimes that's the only way to deal with these people & get them to shut up - sounds horribly impolite to us shy people but actually if you do it diplomatically they may even appreciate us saying it instead of looking grim!! :))

Otherwise yeah, someone told me she sees 'Are you okay?' as sign of concern.. and appreciates it and asks a friend that out of concern..

About metal music.. it probably depends for different people.. sometimes sad or angry music can be 'uplifting' sometimes it can make things worse.. I guess if you feel worse after it, maybe switch to something more cheerful?

Starchild

I never get questions like that either. I wish people would ask me that, though. It just means they care and are interested in how you're feeling. I'd rather have someone who care a little bit too much than no one at all.

U

userremoved

Usually when I get asked that I really am not ok. It's pretty easy to tell when I'm down in the dumps.