Why do you guys tell everyone that you have social phobia?

lunarla

Only one person knows how much of an emotional wreck I am and all my anxieties, etc. (bless his heart, lol). I really don't feel it would be appropriate to flat out tell anyone else, and I don't feel comfortable doing so. At least not with people in person. The few friends that I have at this point, know that I'm more of a home-body and that's fine with them. Whatever other conclusions they could possibly draw up from that, that's fine too.

powerfulthoughts

I would only teel those people to whom I am close to. My family, my girlfriend.... and not many else. The people that I know won't push me away because of it. I wouldn't tell someone I recently met.... that will just cause many misconceptions and negative vibes. Nah.... let the new ppl keep on guessing :)

this_portrait

The last time I told someone about my SA, they turned around and "stabbed me in the back", so to speak. I'm nowhere near as open about it now, and am actually pretty embarrassed to even talk about it. However, I think I'm getting to the point where I don't even need to explain myself.

Iseesky

I don't tell anyone. Most people aren't stupid. They know that you're a little bit different than everyone else. There's no need to tell them in my opinion.

johnny 85

I don't tell anyone. Most people aren't stupid. They know that you're a little bit different than everyone else. There's no need to tell them in my opinion.

unfortunatley shes right ::(: i believe i come across as been weird, lol. i just cant relax around certain people and when i talk, i talk way to fast or i just kinda mumble my words !! even one of my friends ( ex friend) told me , he did nt get me !! and he played his part in me gettin social anxiety in the 1st place!! the fecker is far from perfect himself but i wood nt say it to him !!!

Silvox Black

This is why you must learn, the hard way unfortunately, to differentiate who will be intelligent enough to care and who will simply be an ignorant bigot of society and tell everyone else. Innocence must be shattered. Preconceptions of morality must be removed. You must learn that there are simply some who will understand and other that won't. Once you learn the difference, that is simply how things are. An ignorant civilization cannot be changed, thus we must adapt.

johnny 85

This is why you must learn, the hard way unfortunately, to differentiate who will be intelligent enough to care and who will simply be an ignorant bigot of society and tell everyone else. Innocence must be shattered. Preconceptions of morality must be removed. You must learn that there are simply some who will understand and other that won't. Once you learn the difference, that is simply how things are. An ignorant civilization cannot be changed, thus we must adapt.

i love ur posts ::p:

iamthenra

My buddy growing up always thought that I hated everyone... Little did he know that I don't hate people, which is obvious...that is why I chose nursing as a career choice... In recent years I told him my problems, and of course like most guys the first thing out of his mouth was: "OMG... YOU'RE A 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN!!!"
4404686393_827de2058b_o.gif
Once the shock wore off, then he finally got it... He understood why he thought I hated everyone... SA is such a pain in the butt....
4404687593_0fba2379dc_o.gif

Flowers-Of-Bloom

There's too much social stigma surrounding mental illness. Anyone can see that.
I would only tell someone that I know and trust very deeply.

static

I never told anyone IRL that I have SA, besides my parents who know of course. I'd feel people would look at me I have a disease or something. I just say I'm shy.

daniel_monster

The only people I have told are my close friends, and my work because they deserve to know if I'm not having a good day.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
It's a catch-22.

If I don't tell people, they're either gonna think I'm some weirdo that never grew out of being shy or a colossally arrogant prick who thinks he's better than everyone else because he doesn't talk.

If I do tell them about my situation with SA, I've found that most people seem to automatically drop all people with mental disorders into the same bucket. They quickly write you off as being dangerous or someone to avoid, as if you're criminally insane.

Maug

Due to the frequency and duration of my handwashing, my hands are very dry and discoloured, so I get a lot of questions about them. I don’t make a habit of bringing my OCD into conversation, but I’m often called upon to explain it anyway. I keep it short and people don’t linger on the topic, so it’s not a big problem.

While I was still in school, though, I don't think there was anyone who didn't know. My friends knew because it was necessary. I didn't get any pity for it and I don't feel like I was outcasted (other than the occasional person that would just call me stupid), but for a lot of people it was a source of entertainment. I was fine with people laughing with me about it, because I need to be funny in social situations or I'll just feel really uncomfortable. So most of my friends probably don't understand how difficult it really makes things for me, but that’s my fault, since I didn’t really tell them. Usually I keep it to myself because they don’t need my problems on top of their own.

My comparatively mild social anxiety and other issues, though, I don't mention very much. Those I can hide sometimes.

Muffins

First of all, whoever said that we tell everyone? I think it's fiine to tell some people, and I'm sure most people don't tell everyone. That'd be weird. A lot of people can tell that there's atleast a little something wrong. However, even if they know that, a lot of them are ignorant and don't know what to think of it. I don't tell anyone either lol.

Rxqueen

I can't see any advantage telling people you have social phobia, depression, OCD and etc. I deeply regret the times I told other people about my conditions.

1- People will not understand you and see those conditions as not serious.

2- Or they will think you are crazy.

3- They will tell other people about your conditions and they all will see you as an outcast.

4- Or they you tell other people about your conditions and they all will feel pity for you.

5- They will see you as crippled person and will not count on you for nothing.

All options will make you feel bad.

Why tell other people about your conditions???

I have bipolar disorder as well as social phobia and I've only told one other person....since then that person has distanced themselves from me so I can understand how you feel....I have no intention of telling anyone else about it unless they directly ask me about it and even then I might not tell the truth. I think this kinda stuff is very personal and you should only tell people that you absolutely trust....so far I have no friends to tell nor would I want to tell anyone...but that's just me, some people might think different. It might be a relief to get it off your chest but I think there are too many risks involved to tell anyone about it...only my fam knows.

only my close family knows, cuz friends would think of me as crazy, since a live i a very conservative country..

Mikefly

I can't see any advantage telling people you have social phobia, depression, OCD and etc. I deeply regret the times I told other people about my conditions.

1- People will not understand you and see those conditions as not serious.

2- Or they will think you are crazy.

3- They will tell other people about your conditions and they all will see you as an outcast.

4- Or they you tell other people about your conditions and they all will feel pity for you.

5- They will see you as crippled person and will not count on you for nothing.

All options will make you feel bad.

Why tell other people about your conditions???

Actually that's life but people don't judge u on SA or not ... u judge yourself that way. They see u for who ur good or bad confidence is the key along with experience .

Pookah

Sometimes you have to tell people just to kind of explain things so they don't ask later.

Onur

I've told some close friends about it, out of frustration. People may think I'm withdrawn and shy because I like to be that way, but clearly I don't want to be like that. So I tell people what I've been going through and how it is, and stuff.. If friends ask me what I've been upto, I don't like to say "nothin" everytime. :)

Kiwong

I spoke out because I felt as if I was being misrepresented. So now a lot of people know. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not yet. At work life seems easier with some people.