Why are you so quiet?

I am an Australian, and have a love of history. Recently I have been reading up on American History, specifically the period shortly prior to Independance from Britain through to late 1800's. Thomas Jefferson, the third president of the United States, was a very private and quiet man. He gave only two public speeches during his Presidency. Jefferson had a lisp and preferred writing to public speaking partly because of this, indeed he was quoted as saying, "I have no gift for the oratory".

So here we have a man, arguably one of the greatest USA presidents, not to mention of huge intellect who is one of the most frequently quoted men in history, yet he very rarely spoke.

A polymath, Jefferson achieved distinction as, among other things, a horticulturist, political leader, architect, archaeologist, paleontologist, inventor, and founder of the University of Virginia. When President John F. Kennedy welcomed 49 Nobel Prize winners to the White House in 1962 he said, "I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent and of human knowledge that has ever been gathered together at the White House – with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."(Taken from Wikipedia).

People who are "quiet" are often thought by others to be "wise" moreso than "shy" or "aloof", as our social phobia trains of thought would have us believe.

I have always been an extremely quiet person. During my time at University I had only three good friends, but my degree involved a substantial amount of "group work" or discussion in tutorials. I had always thought I was unpopular because I never said much in these labs or tutorials. On our last day of University, it was tradition to have your lab coat signed by other students in your year. When I later took off my lab coat I was completely overwhelmed and humbled by what I was reading. The comments were consistently comprised with statements such as "I will really miss your opinions, and input in tutorials", "I have always held you in high regard, and admired you for your valuable input in pracs", "You don't say much mate, but everything you do say always makes complete sense".

It is often the quality of the speech that leaves our moths rather than the quantity that "genuine" people find interesting about us. Till this day I still have only a handful of friends but I am frequently consulted by them for my opinion, on practically all life matters.

I think being someone who has been challenged with the limitations of social phobia symptoms, including being a "quiet" individual, has allowed me to perpetuate my observational skills and I have been told by psychologists and psychotherapists, both in individual and group therapy, that I am an extremely intuative person.

Incidently, I am a Christian, though I respect all opinions when it comes to spirituality. In this sense I do not wish to commence a Bible-bash or force my views on anyone. However, I have provided here are a few scriptures here, and unless you quoted them at a Bible scholar, no-one would have a clue regarding your reference source. You may like to take a look at them (even if you are not interested in Christianity, you will find, I think, they still ring true) Why not quote or adjust to contemporary english, one of the following should you be asked "Why are you so quiet":-

Pro 15:2 The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness.
Pro 12:18 There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health.
Pro 21:23 Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles.
Pro 25:15 By long forbearing is a prince persuaded, and a soft tongue breaketh the bone.
Pro 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.
Pro 15:2 The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness.
Psa 52:2 Thy tongue deviseth mischiefs; like a sharp razor, working deceitfully.
Psa 52:4 Thou lovest all devouring words, O thou deceitful tongue

dark_horse

People usually ask me if something is wrong when I'm not talkative. If guys ask me the question I say its girl trouble. It usually gets the sympathy of all guys of all walks of life!
If a girl should ask me the question I say that I have a lot of things on my mind. They then get the impression that I am a bit of a dreamer. In both cases I'm talking the truth and in both cases I don't get seen as a freak...

girl707

I would say: I don't know, honestly; does that really bother you? Because we could start a conversation if you'd like... I bet you haven't met that many quiet people in your life...
The question "why are you so quiet" is obnoxiously annoying; it's like asking someone "why were you born a girl" --- why do you care to know?

Weeble

Either ''I don't know'' or nothing.. I just shrug my shoulders. Man I get a feeling in the pit of my stomach whenever someone asks that to me :(

exquisite

my ex used to ask me that a lot. & other ppl too....i'd just tell them im thinking.... which leads to the next question, 'about what?'. oy. its like, if i wanted to talk about it, dont you think i'd voice it instead of just be quiet? sometimes, im just zoning out. or have nothing to say jeez. my ex actually would get mad at me when i wouldnt make conversation with his friends at get-togethers, etc. even though he knew about my sa.

IamThisOne

I just say, "I don't know" or "I just don't have much to say". Sometimes people will ask, "why don't you talk more?" in which case I say, "What do you want to talk about?".

One guy asked me the other day, "what do you think the world would be like if everyone talk as little as you?". I replied, "we'd get more done", but by that time the guy stopped listening and didn't hear me.

harlseq

Usually I just kind of roll my eyes and don't reply, hoping that'll make them go away. If I had the social courage to answer, I'd say "It's just the way I am."

That's what I say... "It's just the way I am." It usually gets them off my back about it. Even though it definitely does annoy me, I try to play it off... I understand that they probably just don't realize how annoying it is to hear that from almost every single person I meet...

I might try responding to it with overt annoyance though... honestly never tried it before.

Solar

Wow, I read most of the comments. Í'm still a newbie here and it's funny how familiar it all sounds! It's the question I hate most because you're being noticed for what you don't want to be noticed for.

I usually say something like "i'm sleepy" or "I don't know" That sleep thing works because I'm the power nap king in my class. But still, I'm known for being the man with no social life :(

It's not fair, I'm known for my hard labor and quality works in my field. Yet In the end I'm always killed off for my lack of social interaction. Well atleast my grades are skyrocketing :p

nightcrawler

I usually reply with either "I'm tired", or "got things on my mind at the moment". This normally shuts them up and kills the conversation dead ;)

I say " I don't know"::eek::,"why are you so nosy":mad:(when I am feeling brave), I stare at them with my best crazy person look until they look or go away:confused:...or i say " I didn't know I was":rolleyes:

lunaticbinge

People love to ask that question around here. For some reason minnesotans are very socially aggressive. I usually just say that i have nothing to say then they look at me funny or just don't say anything else. :p