Who thinks they're awesome?

Guffaw

Apparently part of having SA means you're depressed. I'm sure that's true for some of you, but is it true for all of you? It's not true for me. Just how much self-confidence do you have? I have bucket loads of the stuff. I KNOW I'm awesome. There's no room for doubt. I'm fecking amazing. My self-confidence is within, not outside.
At times I wish I didn't have SA but I'm happy with myself and my life. You should be too. You're all just as amazing as I am! *raises glass* WHO THINKS THEY'RE AWESOME?! (this is your cue to scream meeeeeeeeeeee (that's you, not me))
If no one says it then I'll KNOW I'm alone in this world...hint hint nudge nudge...

Kiwong

Good positive affirmations Guffaw.

I'm not too shabby, but I wouldn't go as far as awesome.

EscapeArtist

Apparently part of having SA means you're depressed. I'm sure that's true for some of you, but is it true for all of you? It's not true for me. Just how much self-confidence do you have? I have bucket loads of the stuff. I KNOW I'm awesome. There's no room for doubt. I'm fecking amazing. My self-confidence is within, not outside.
At times I wish I didn't have SA but I'm happy with myself and my life. You should be too. You're all just as amazing as I am! *raises glass* WHO THINKS THEY'RE AWESOME?! (this is your cue to scream meeeeeeeeeeee (that's you, not me))
If no one says it then I'll KNOW I'm alone in this world...hint hint nudge nudge...

Lol you ARE freaking awesome. I can tell just by reading this post xD Maybe all it takes is the belief in yourself

O'Killian

Huh. I'm kinda glad you posted this because I had a similar question. I don't think I'm awesome, per se - I'm certainly, objectively not (edit: not in a global sense - I'm pretty awesome in some ways, I will admit) - but I don't have a problem with that. I've got my flaws and faults, but I'm aware of and thankful for my high points as well. I find this refreshingly human. I'd rate my self confidence and/or esteem as reasonable - I am neither full of myself nor my own worst critic. I try to be realistic, and while it may not be instinct, I think I've fairly well internalized the idea that our pitiful monkey brains are quick to assume we're better than we really are at what we think we're good at and worse than we really are at what we think we aren't.

I'm not a religious person at all, but I try to keep the Serenity Prayer (quoted below) at heart.

Serenity Prayer said:
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

Easier to say than do, but it's a nice affirmation.

I'd like to thank you for bringing it up again because I've only recently - despite being a complete recluse - come around on the idea that maybe, just maybe, I have some kind of mental issue. I've been extremely distressed that I had been very efficiently deluding myself for years. Since social phobics / avoidants are supposed to have crushingly low self esteem and depression problems, I was worried I was so preternaturally good at cheering myself up that if I worked to resolve the issue I might discover my whole self perception was hopelessly wrong in a negative way. That was a hurdle I really didn't want to tangle my foot on and wind up busting my face over.

So maybe the very notion of interacting with another human being seems like the most terrifying thing in the world to me, but I won't let it get me down. Maybe I'm just naturally optimistic. From what I've read in the past few days that puts me in a better position than most folks with these issues.

Just for additional clarity I'd like to add to Guffaw's question: How many folks naturally feel this way - that they have SA and have felt reasonably self confident for as long as they can remember? Not getting there the hard way, just that it's always been that way?

I'm pretty sure I'm still hung up on this issue because, regardless of how silly it is, I feel like I'm intruding when I say "I know ya'll are depressed but hey guys I'm pretty awesome".

Last edited:

coyote

my self-confidence and self-worth come and go

sometimes, when i am feeling at my most confident, that's when I am most anxious about interacting with others, because i'm afraid that they'll burst my bubble in some way - find fault, disapprove, whatever

any small bit of approval or validation from others goes a long way to boosting my confidence, but the risk in seeking it is also putting myself out there for potential criticism

Guffaw

We're all fabulous. It's a proven fact. You all just have to realize it. When you're alone in the house shout "I'm awesome!" (try not to scare the cat, poor thing). It's much more liberating to do it outside but you'll probably get some funny looks. Screw it, I'm gonna do it today. If anyone says anything mean I'll just smile sweetly and say why thank you kind sir/madam. Then obviously I'll leg it. You can't please everyone.
Come on people, let your hair down (if you don't have any just pretend), mess it up a bit, throw your arms up and shout it from the rooftops. You could even make up an 'I'm awesome' dance to go with it. I find full body shaking looks good.
You are all awesome and don't believe anyone who thinks otherwise.

Steppen-Wolf

Are sure you have SA?

I mean, just because you have it it doesn't mean that you must be inmmersed in a perpetual state of depression and self loathing, you can be "ok". But it sounds like you find SA to be a minor inconvenience, which is rather inusual.

Guffaw

I'm pretty sure I'm still hung up on this issue because, regardless of how silly it is, I feel like I'm intruding when I say "I know ya'll are depressed but hey guys I'm pretty awesome".

That's the exact reason I don't come here often. I feel like an impostor. I have a best friend, one other friend and an ex who lives with me. That's more than some people on here. Also (people will hate me for saying this, or maybe that's the SA talking, I'm never really sure) I like having fun, even if it is by myself. I like to laugh. I'm the girl on the bus giggling away to herself. I'm dying of embarrassment but I can't stop. Knowing everyone is thinking I'm weird makes it even more funny. I feel like there's a lot of people on here don't who laugh often. It makes me sad. And then I feel guilty if I cheer myself up. I don't know if I am weird or not but I like who I am and I really can't ask for anymore than that.
I'm glad you know you're awesome too. I find it makes the SA a lot more bearable so I'm really happy for you. And I'm now smiling again. Thank you

Guffaw

Are sure you have SA?

I mean, just because you have it it doesn't mean that you must be inmmersed in a perpetual state of depression and self loathing, you can be "ok". But it sounds like you find SA to be a minor inconvenience, which is rather inusual.

I do indeed have SA. I have moments when I'm just ok. I look in the mirror and I don't like what I see. But I hate feeling down and depressed so I don't dwell on it. I'd much rather be happy. Is there anything wrong with that?

bcsr

I'm a roller coaster. Right now I feel miserable and hopeless, I genuinely, in this moment, feel like I'll be alone forever.

Comes and goes, tomorrow might be better.

O'Killian

I'm glad you know you're awesome too. I find it makes the SA a lot more bearable so I'm really happy for you. And I'm now smiling again. Thank you

I'm glad you elaborated there and that we've got some understanding. I don't feel exactly the same way but it clicked after I thought about it. Extroverted folks can be shy and/or socially anxious/phobic as well, and just speaking as a complete armchair psychologist that sounds like what you are. As you said, even if you're dying of embarrassment you'll make a scene.

Thinking on it, I've known people just like that. Even if I'm off in my assessment of a stranger on the Internet, I've certainly observed the phenomenon.

I'm definitely introverted - I can say I'm alone but not lonely and mean it. My self-image in high school and the start of college was that of quiet and reserved, but easy to be around. I was quiet by choice, and when engaged could be depended on to have something thoughtful to say. Somewhere between stoic and modestly self-assured, I suppose. The danger here I believe was passivity - I didn't endeavor to build strong bonds.

--

To the rest of the thread in general; I know that not everybody with SA is chronically depressed. I have highs and lows, but they both seem muted in comparison to what other people express (the lows in particular). It's just that a lot of what I've read on the topic is about low self esteem, beating yourself up, that kind of thing - and generally I do little more than give myself a figurative knock on the head if I said or did something stupid and move on.

I think most people hate feeling down and depressed - they certainly don't enjoy it, and given that a lot of articles and personal stories about SA seem to involve it it's easy to assume it's pervasive. That's why I wanted to ask - we all know about assumptions.

I want to thank everybody for their input - I certainly feel better about the matter. I wish I had something helpful to say in return, but words fail me.

zruff740

I think I'm awesome, it's just that because of the SA no one can see the full extent of it, so only I know how awesome I actually am. And that doesn't make me think I'm awesome at all.