What's the scariest dream you've ever had?

upndwn

It's been a long time since I dreamed this and I was in a borderline psychotic state at the time, so the details are kind of hazy. I remember being followed by a bunch of armed and masked men inside a burning skyscraper. I was fighting myself down from the top to the bottom. I knew that these men were really demons and they represented all the pain and fear I felt in real life. It was very real to me almost like a waking dream and I was fully aware that it was a dream, but also that everything was a metaphor for my state of mind and spiritual well being. There was also something else in the building with me, something so sinister and evil that it's mere presence made me feel more fear than I had ever felt before in my entire life. As I fought my way downwards against larger and larger hordes of demonic assailants, this evil shadow would come ever closer until I was literally burning with fear as if I had a fever. As I reached the bottom of the building I heard a voice telling me that there was no hope escaping my misery and that my fight would go on forever. I turned around to face the voice and looked into the face of myself. I then realized that I could never escape the misery of my existence, because the fear, sorrow, pain, tragedy and depression that had come to define my existence was part of my being. It was imprinted on my soul, my destiny. And I would never escape it in this life or another. I was already in hell and I was the devil.

After that I woke up screaming, burning with a fever, and I could swear I saw my own grinning reflection fading away in front of me. The dream haunted me for several days and I still get shivers when I think about it.

hippiechild

scariest, strangest or weirdest...

Mine tend to be all three.

(around 10 years old)
I was Peter Pan and was responsible for financially supporting a small bicycle shop. One thing lead to another and next thing I knew I had volunteered myself for the important task of standing, upside-down on the ceiling of a brick corbelled vault with absolutely no movement of any kind... for the rest of the universe's existence...
there was also something vague about (me?)having killed people with graphite swords
... after awaking from this, still completely delusional, I burst into my little sister's ballet studio, crying and shouting about how sorry I was and that I couldn't 'take it all back'.

(persistent dream I've had periodically since I can remember)

My field of vision is filled with a nice, clean, white floor. This will give me a strong sense of relief (from something in the recent past that I can't quite recall at the time). Invariably, a smooth, white pebble of (what I assumed to be) quartz appears... or 'wanders' into sight. The appearance of this rock on the smooth, previously pure white surface is only slightly unnerving.
"Well, it's not perfect, but its still a pretty scene, I suppose,"
I might find another pebble... and reconcile myself in a similar way. Up to this point, the pace of my thoughts and consequently the actions in the dream are fairly slow and leisurely. The pace quickens. More objects arrive, increasing both in their rate and variety.. paperclips, lint, hair, etc. I'm now panicking, trying in vain to find some of the refreshing calm and purity that I'd previously enjoyed...
the odds and ends seem to have a life of their own, becoming a dense, seething, pulsing mass of rubbish that envelops my entire being. Just as my torment reaches its climax, when I fear I can bear no more disorder and chaos, the room clears.
I'm left with the cool, refreshing white of the floor again. "Well, how nice" I'll say to myself"
then a nice, unassuming little pebble of quartz will appear..

each cycle takes from 10-15 minutes and there may be up to 30 cycles of it before I wake up.

(16 years old)

"I" was in a Japanese pizza shop. At the beginning of the dream, my perception was distributed among the various ingredients that they had in the kitchen: pepperoni, shredded cheese, mushrooms, sauce. So, basically, I was seeing and experiencing things from 20 perspectives at once, with all the unique and pretty much indescribable feelings that come with being a pile of shredded cheese here, while simultaneously being a bubbling cauldron of sauce there and maybe elsewhere... a pile of chopped mushrooms.
As I, the pizza, was assembled, I slowly came into a unified state of being. All was well in my wonderful pizza existence, until the chef made one fatal error; he'd made the pizza... upside-down. I was stuck as a bloody upside-down pizza!
I wound up floating around my house for a while, trying to find help. Of course, nobody recognized me or thought to help out the poor, upside-down pizza that was floating around the house.

another time, after dreaming of cowboys on horseback I had a sudden epiphany! The term "raisins", I realized, was used in old westerns to refer to the way that Annie Oakley would shoot into the dust, ricocheting the bullet off the ground and making a 'flying raisin'. I knew, in that moment, that I had to wake up my entire family and let them know that I'd made sense of this age-old mystery.

Last edited:

Hastings & Main

I've only had one nightmare in my life.

I was about 13 when I had it. In it, I went into the bathroom in our house, and noticed that the mirror attached to the wall above the sink was moved over a few inches and there was a secret room, the size of a small closet, behind it.
I slid the mirror over more like a window, and somehow there was light in this little room, and there was one of my Aunts, dead, hanging by a rope.

superario

Well, I don't know what to make of this but...

The night before my 8th grade graduation I had a very strange dream/experience. I can remember that I was sleeping on my floor (I like the floor) and I was half asleep and I don't know whether this was like...real or if it was just a dream but I can remember that during the middle of the night there was a "presence" in my room. I remember that there was somebody floating in the corner of my room. Being that I was half asleep (or all the way asleep) I was not frightened. I was very angry because they would not let me sleep and I had graduation early the next morning. I can remember telling them off, to stop "laughing" and let me sleep. Not sure if I said this outloud or not. But anyway, later I realized it was my english/history teacher in a nice suit.

The next morning, I saw my teacher and found he was wearing the EXACT same outfit from the night before when I had *seen* him in my bedroom. I was flabbergasted. Later it turns out he had a tumor or something...(I think) but I'm sure he is alive and well now. I just thought it was interesting.

IGotSeoul

Well, I don't know what to make of this but...

The night before my 8th grade graduation I had a very strange dream/experience. I can remember that I was sleeping on my floor (I like the floor) and I was half asleep and I don't know whether this was like...real or if it was just a dream but I can remember that during the middle of the night there was a "presence" in my room. I remember that there was somebody floating in the corner of my room. Being that I was half asleep (or all the way asleep) I was not frightened. I was very angry because they would not let me sleep and I had graduation early the next morning. I can remember telling them off, to stop "laughing" and let me sleep. Not sure if I said this outloud or not. But anyway, later I realized it was my english/history teacher in a nice suit.

The next morning, I saw my teacher and found he was wearing the EXACT same outfit from the night before when I had *seen* him in my bedroom. I was flabbergasted. Later it turns out he had a tumor or something...(I think) but I'm sure he is alive and well now. I just thought it was interesting.

Oh, I know of some people who can relate to this story. :eek:

superario

Also, here's another disturbing dream.

I can very vaguely remember a dream where I suppose I lived on an island...it was somewhat tropical. It was kind of like one of those futuristic utopian types of places. Well, people had jobs assigned to them and I was part of this job on the end of the island where I think (and I hope I've got this wrong) we would take the babies and put them into like a box machine where...they would be killed.

I remember I felt so bad about it. I remember I took one of the babies and tried to save it. I can remember running, and at this point its part of where I used to grow up, running in the grass between two apartment buildings. That's all of the dream I remember. I have no idea if me or the baby survived.

:|

Earthbound_Misfit

The scariest dream I have ever had probably wouldn't scare a 4 year old but it definitely scared the living crap out of me. I was asleep in my dream... when i woke up I was wearing a pink frilly dress which is scary enough to me... and the room I was in was full of fancy dolls with red eyes. Some had vampire fangs and blood on their faces.... My significant other told me I woke up screaming. It was the last time I let myself fall asleep watching TrueBlood...

MagicPotion

I remember waking up scared after nightmares before, but for some reason I can't remember any specifically. Sometimes I get sleep paralysis though, which is much scarier than any nightmare.

I got this ages ago megalon, at least I think I did. I'd wake up paralysed in bed and feel bugs crawling all over me. Luckily it never happened very much. I heard that when it's bad, people can start to hallucinate - now that sounds freaky. :eek:

MaliceInWickedland

Ugh. Had one a few nights ago that left me sweating like a prostitute in church...

I can only vividly remember certain parts like the pale woman with the weird deformed jaw and sunken-in black eyes that was hovering over me on my bed, digging her grotesquely thick and large claws into my arms and humming some freaky tune while she peered her eyes directly into mine like she was trying to rape my soul or something. It was all so real and the images of that woman-thing have been circulating through my mind non-stop since then.

What I also find weird is how when you feel pain in your dream, you vaguely feel it in the affected place of your body when you wake up. I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced something similar to that but I'm so freaked out about how I could still feel that woman-thing digging her claws into my arms even when I woke up. I've experienced that before with other dreams but in this one it felt so much more intense than usual.

A good reminder that I really need to lay off all those survival horror games...

What I also find weird is how when you feel pain in your dream, you vaguely feel it in the affected place of your body when you wake up. I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced something similar to that but I'm so freaked out about how I could still feel that woman-thing digging her claws into my arms even when I woke up. I've experienced that before with other dreams but in this one it felt so much more intense than usual.

Did that woman have a deep voice, wear a hat and a stripy jumper, and have abnormally large fingernails to the point they looked like knives?

Aussie_Lad

I had one dream where I awoke and realising that I needed to go to the toilet, I got out of bed and walked towards the bathroom. On the way there I walked past the second bedroom. I notice the door slightly ajar and I think "strange I always keep it shut". Anyway I open the door to find out why it is ajar. All of a sudden there is this living creature that I can only describe as a monster is there. It sticks it head in my direction and lets out a mighty roar. I am almost sh*tting myself by that stage. Then I awake for real, my heart pounding and all the built up energy slowly being released from my body.

snowcream

The strangest I had; I was standing still and couldnt move but everywhere I had ever been in my life was coming to me instead of me going to it in fast forward.

mikebird

Banned
Because of Leftfield's Leftism album cover, and it's era of us all living in student conditions, I dreamt of a kitchen floor smothered in breadcrumbs, filth, dirt, etc and I watched a mouse eat a shark in the kitchen

dean01

ive had some scary dreams involving dogs or being beaten up but i have more weird dreams then anything.
i thought i was in a caravan asleep and awoke in my dream as the caravan started to roll down a steep hill towards the edge of a cliff. i tried to get out but the door was stuck, i got in a panic and as the caravan went of the cliff , i woke up with the sensation of falling.

AsTimeBurns

It's the waking dreams and sleep paralysis that are actually scary, though I've not had either for a while. Never really had scary dreams as such, but I've had a lot of very strange ones, and ones where I've died, etc...

IGotSeoul

any type of false awakening or continuum dreaming scares the crap out of me.

especially if I start realizing it's a dream, I freak out and everything goes bizarre.

Weird dreams about the middle ages, walking through castles and mostly in the end I walk with a crowd of people on a high bridge and I fall off a bridge, and everyone is shocked. o_O

I mean, I don't have a vertigo (a fear of heights) like excessively fear of it, I never really think about it but In those dreams it really freaks me out. :eek:

I also dreamed a lot about meeting two friends, and they show me their place for the first time in another country (lin a dark neighbour hood and middle of nowhere) and its a very unstable house, and very high and everytime when I was walking in the house It was moving around and almost falling down. Then I have a spooky evening with my friends and then we are talking all night and suddenly we all fall down.

I also have dreams of silly monsters and aliens chasing me and guitars with faces on it real freaky, and I am sitting in a silly boat with wheels trying to go away as fast as I can, But I can't escape because the world is locked from all sides, like a game puzzle, there is no way out.

I have maaany weird dreams, lol

Last edited:

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
It's a little pathetic, but my scariest dreams have all been when I dreamed I posted something/said something online that was really personal or that was something I didn't really mean. More than once I've had to go check my computer after waking up panting to make sure it was actually just a dream.